Thread: Jon Hiseman - RIP at 73

Jon Hiseman - RIP at 73

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

So sad... Visited his home last December for the recording of the new Soft Machine album and he was in fine shape physically and mentally. Thinking of his wife Barbara Thompson who has been suffering from Parkinson’s and had to rely on Jon for some things also she too seemed as energetic as ever when I saw her...

Another great pioneer moves on... RIP...

RIP Jon...thanks for the great music which will live on forever.
    G.A.S -aholic

Way too early ! RIP.

Anyone with 3 RIP threads going, including one premature one, must have been good.

Truly saddened by Jon's passing. I have been thinking a lot about his drumming and Colosseum since the announcement of his terminal illness a week or two ago. Colosseum laid out a blueprint for a co-existence of prog and blues that I find very appealing, but somehow proved a dead end with record buyers. Few bands if any followed their lead.

Nonetheless the band had enough fans that they could reform and keep touring under Jon's leadership until just a few years ago. Sadly they never came back to the USA but had a lot of success on the European continent. Boots of the most recent tours show a band that was as vital as ever despite their advanced ages.
    RIP.

Had the privilege of attending Collsseum’s last gig in London in 2015 - and UK the next day, also in London. End of an era...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Great drummer. You will be missed. Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I was jamming on some Colosseum this past Sunday for the first time in a long time! Damn. Hiseman was an incredible drummer/musician. RIP.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Very sad about this, will be playing some Colosseum II this evening, RIP Jon and thanks for the music.

One of my favourite drummers around... News I was not looking forward too, but as news kept flooding in, his prospects were not good.

Though a premature thread started I belive, 2 weeks ago, thought this was slightly over eagerness...

As well as Colosseum & Colosseum II's work... He played along on his wife's band Barbara Thompson Paraphenelia...

Also there's a brilliant album called Variations... Composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber.. The album also features Phil Collins

Sadly RIP Jon Hiseman.... Your music will be played over this week as a tribute.

Very sad news indeed. I have always been a big fan of the music he produced with Colosseum, Colosseu II, and Barbara Thompson.

Rest in Peace.

Alas the Colosseum II album I was expecting today didn't arrive, so I played Valentyne Suite in his memory.

Not sure if there's a way to merge all the threads but a few of us have posted on all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post

Also there's a brilliant album called Variations... Composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber.. The album also features Phil Collins
    He and Barbara Thompson worked quite a bit with Andrew Lloyd Webber at the time...on the cast album of Cats and I think part of the band on its initial West End run.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Not sure if there's a way to merge all the threads but a few of us have posted on all of them!

He and Barbara Thompson worked quite a bit with Andrew Lloyd Webber at the time...on the cast album of Cats and I think part of the band on its initial West End run.
    Did not know that!

Played already today Electric Savage, War Dance & Variations .....

I listened to About Time Too! - his album of drum solos - earlier this evening. It's a testament to his rare talent as a musician that it stands up to repeated listens so well. He was a master at building and maintaining tension, and the solos have an unfailing sense of momentum combined with a natural flow. He'll be much missed.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

I have the Variations album too, still have the original vinyl from way back when - love it.

My most vivid memory of seeing Colosseum 20 years ago is how surprised I was when I was not at all bored by the drum solo. I didn't expect that to ever happen! My favourite part was when Hiseman was playing lightning fast triplets with the kick drum and both hands on the toms... and suddenly he had one hand high up in the air, twirling a drum stick, while the triplets just kept on going! A wonderful, musical player.

Take a chance on the overlooked Album "Shadowshow"

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    We'll remember him!
    Tempest was my first meeting with the music of Jon Hiseman. In 1979 I found their first LP in a second hand bin and because I noticed the name Allan Holdsworth (who I had just discovered through UK and Bruford) I bought it. Wonderful album.
    Strange thing is that I never got into Colosseum until recently. "Wardance" is an album I would have loved when I had heard it at the time of its release.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I listened to About Time Too! - his album of drum solos - earlier this evening. It's a testament to his rare talent as a musician that it stands up to repeated listens so well. He was a master at building and maintaining tension, and the solos have an unfailing sense of momentum combined with a natural flow. He'll be much missed.
    Agree with this, that 'drum wave' which he sort of patented , the double strokes on the snare speeding up then the double bass speeding up as the snare slows, quite brilliant. Huge catalogue of work. Also pioneered the Arbiter Autotune kit which sounded fantastic.