Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Magma Zess

I have taken two girlfriends to see Magma. Both loved the concert experiece. But I don't think either one really listens Magma albums. Even the current one who loves many avant-prog albums
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 07-02-2019 at 04:41 AM.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

A side effect of Magma's consecration, a lot more people not familiar with their music come to the ( big) concerts. At the Paris concert were obviously a lot of hardcore fans wearing Magma Ts etc. I was standing next to a group of hipsters who were kind of making fun of the music by doing a deadhead trippy dancing style while laughing their heads off, I saw also some surprised looks when some fans shouted out complete lines of Kobaian.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    A side effect of Magma's consecration, a lot more people not familiar with their music come to the ( big) concerts. At the Paris concert were obviously a lot of hardcore fans wearing Magma Ts etc. I was standing next to a group of hipsters who were kind of making fun of the music by doing a deadhead trippy dancing style while laughing their heads off, I saw also some surprised looks when some fans shouted out complete lines of Kobaian.
    That's great!
    <sig out of order>

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    My wife really enjoyed the Magma concert we attended. I really hope they come back to San Francisco soon.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I got a copy of Zess in the mail (via Wayside) last Friday, but was not able to listen to it until last night. Finally settled down and put the CD on and listened start to finish. I enjoyed it! It's a lot mellower than I was expecting, but it does reach some pretty impressive heights near the end.

Will definitely require more listens to form a true impression, but I'm glad to have this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I took my son to one Magma show- he owed me, since I took him to see Offspring and Living End. He was impressed, but had heard their music since he was born- and he is 34 now...
    Glad he liked the concert! I'm 35, but I've only been listening to Magma for about 11 years.

Slacker. :-)

My older kids are 39 and they have heard their entire life as well. I began listening to Magma in 1976...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

My best friend got his CD yesterday, so I was expecting to listen to this next week (since I am waiting for the vinyl that appears in the autumn).

But it's on YouTube - and I am listening to it just now for the first time.

I don't understand the somewhat lukewarm responses here. It's glorious! And it definitely sounds like an epilogue to the Magma saga, a last stroke of the ever-pulsing genius, a last offering of gratitude, of love.

(it helps to understand French for sure - apart from Kobaian )

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I was standing next to a group of hipsters who were kind of making fun of the music by doing a deadhead trippy dancing style while laughing their heads off
    It's already been taken care of!

I tracked them down one by one after identifying them through satelite surveillance, and when I found them I stuffed my fist and then my whole arm down their throats until i reached the bottom of the stomach-sack, where I promptly tore a hole and then wrenched all the entrails back through the neck before starting to waltz around with what amounted to a carcass donning hipster-floppyskull and a funny flesh skirt underneath. Revenge - pure Kobaïan style!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's already been taken care of!

I tracked them down one by one after identifying them through satelite surveillance, and when I found them I stuffed my fist and then my whole arm down their throats until i reached the bottom of the stomach-sack, where I promptly tore a hole and then wrenched all the entrails back through the neck before starting to waltz around with what amounted to a carcass donning hipster-floppyskull and a funny flesh skirt underneath. Revenge - pure Kobaïan style!

People need to forget about previous editions and their own expectations and listen to this as a 2019 release from a new band. Just the music. And then receive the great gift with open arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    People need to forget about previous editions and their own expectations and listen to this as a 2019 release from a new band. Just the music. And then receive the great gift with open arms.

I ordered directly from Seventh records and got an email that Zess is already out of Stock and I have to wait another 3 weeks.

Good to hear they are selling more then anticipated but on a personal side; very annoying.

Oh, for pete's sake, the entire record is posted on YouTube. I am not sure how to report it, but perhaps Steve F can do so. It is only just out!

Oh, for pete's sake, the entire record is posted on YouTube. I am not sure how to report it, but perhaps Steve F can do so. It is only just out!
    Only the copyright holder or their authorized agent(s) can order it taken down.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I ordered directly from Seventh records and got an email that Zess is already out of Stock and I have to wait another 3 weeks.

Good to hear they are selling more then anticipated but on a personal side; very annoying.
    Is Zess hitting the Top Ten charts?

After having the album for awhile, I'm digging it more and more with each listen. I made the mistake of listening to the other versions religiously in anticipation of the album, so I went in expecting a hyper soul-funk space epic filled with synthesizers and screaming a la Bobino, but we all know that's not quite what we got. However, I'm beginning to appreciate the piece as essentially a drawn out world-crossing train ride with Vander at the wheel, that ridiculous rhythm that permeates the track truly does sound like a train. My only main gripes at this point are that more guitar would be lovely, the bass could definitely be louder, and I could use less string melody. When the strings are used as a pad it's great, but melodically they come across as a little flimsy, I would have much preferred the melodic lines to be played by brass or woodwind. On the plus side, I absolutely love the beginning speech/solo, it builds better than the other versions, and as always, the climax is terrific. The new ending bit is also beautiful, I do love me some soul-style call and response in my Magma. I'm still not entirely sure where I'd place it alongside Magma's other records, but I'm definitely glad it exists. For some odd reason though, I feel like it's too short, anyone else feel that way?
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

^^ Yes.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

What I like about the new studio version...the orchestra is cool, the vocals sound great
    What I think it's lacking...a good band mix and the energy and power of the triton DVD version.
    I also don't like the change in the drum rhythm, it sounds (to me) like he doesn't know what he's supposed to play. And there is no energy or excitement in the drum part compared to what Antoine was playing on the DVD. I don't remember any drum fills in the studio version and I've listened four times.
    Maybe I'll have to pay attention to just the drummer...if only the mix was better.
    And...where the hell is the great guitar interplay with the vocals? That is a damn shame it's missing or buried in the mix.
    I like the studio version, but think they could have added the elements from the DVD version and added the orchestra for something so much better.

...In my opinion.

I wonder who posted it. Is it on an official YouTube channel, or just some person.

I know the official YouTube channel from Wim Mertens has a playlist with his complete latest live-album, which isn't even out yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR_E...JLbKC2TXInL7tc

This was posted by somebody, but no one related to the band or its label. In other words, it's an unapproved upload.

This was posted by somebody, but no one related to the band or its label. In other words, it's an unapproved upload.
    What? You mean a person who calls himself (in French) "Zozo the Funny Clown" isn't part of the official Magma camp? Shocking!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Zess is showing up again on Thursday, July 11. For certain.

You can order it here if you like.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

What is a good alternative version of "Zess" that I could check out on CD? I'm unfamiliar with past renditions of this piece.

I know, I know... shame on me.

There is what I think is a very good (and quite different) version on what is the otherwise mostly NOT so good Bobino 1981 release.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What is a good alternative version of "Zess" that I could check out on CD? I'm unfamiliar with past renditions of this piece.

I know, I know... shame on me.
    Bobino is the one I know, and it's great - you'll get to understand a lot of the comments made in here when you listen to it. All fair comments, but in my opinion they don't take account of the fact that this new version of Zess has a completely different orientation. It is more in the spirit of cosmic love (like in a sense is also Felicite Thosz) than of out-of-body delirium. And this is the reason that - to me - Zess sounds like an epilogue to Magma's work, a last act of Love (I'll be surprised if they ever record anything after this).