Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Magma Zess

SS- what else did they play beyond De Futura?
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

^ Among other things a shortened-down "Theusz", some of (I believe?) "Felicité", some "M.D.K." and a rather smoking "Kobaïa" rendition as encore.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

They played

De Futura

Theuz, minus the long ending
    Wurdah Itah, everything I think
    MDK, minus the first 2 tracks "Hortz Fur Dëhn Štekëhn Ẁešt" & "Ïma Sürï Dondaï"

So technically its more or less the trilogy 'Theusz Hamtaahk', 1st,2nd, 3td movement.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theusz_Hamtaahk

Kobah
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-08-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    They downrate it not because of specifics as concern the contents, but due to the contents themselves - which they can't relate to. Plus, it was an attempt to put down my post (i.e. me) without having to be "seen". Although I know who it is, I know where he lives and I am going to find him and eat his brain with some tomatobeans and a can of tempered Dr. Pepper.

That's an estiamte of relevance.
    Sorry we didn't meet at the Cosmopolite - but like you, when experiencing Magma in concert there isnt' much room for talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    How on Earth could I forget the rapid "Ibelin? Gobelin! Ibelin? SCHLAUSZ!!" frenzy?

Priceless. And no time or room for meeting up at the magmatic, that's for sure. They played for 90 mins. but it felt like, well, half an hour.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wow, someone actually just went in solely to downrate this thread due to my post an hour back. That's obviously very interesting, and it really makes me wonder.

Deeply and with commitment.
    What exactly is the point of rating a thread?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

It was astounding.

I'm no longer much of a traveler, mostly due to my serious insomnia issues which become an extra challenge on the road, and social events + drink often worsen it. I came off my flight back from Bergen at 15:00, caught the train into Oslo and walked to my small apartment there, basically not having slept at all for some good 57 hours. A quick wash and change, some Scotch for the nerves, some spins of ol' Zeuhl in the livingroom and then off to Torshov, which is a 30+ minutes' stroll from where I live. I ws absolutely beat by the time I got there, didn't even bother to seek out the bar - just went straight to the floor and stood there. And then they came… And started.

"De Füturä" - fucking "De Füturä"! And by the commence of the chanting, I was already home.

I had one - 1 - bottle of San Miguel during the whole ordeal. Just stood there, tapping my shoe and humming along. When it was all over, I trudged through November chills back to St. Hanshaugen and slept like a demon baby.

That was probably the perfect state of mind in which to see a Magma show. I can't imagine being awake that long, but that's an appropriately epic, mood-setting prologue to weighty music.
    <sig out of order>

They played

De Futura

So technically its more or less the trilogy 'Theusz Hamtaahk', 1st,2nd, 3td movement.

Kobah
    In Stockholm I believe they played Hortz Fur Dehn Stekehn West. I was also certain that I heard some Theusz Hamtaahk, but because the ending was missing I thought that my brain was so devastated by Wurdah Itah that I had just completely lost it.

More or less it was the same set. But in the end it really didn't matter. Having Vander playig the drums some 5 meters away from me and at almost the same height level was an epiphany for me.

as much as I've listened to these folks I still get the pieces of all their different epics mixed up all the time. I think being a fan of Magma scrambles your brain somewhat.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

This one wasn't played in Oslo, but apparently in Stockholm

They played

De Futura

Kobah
    Sweet!

I would love to hear WI live. The Blum Tendiwa section is gorgeous!

When I first saw Magma in Chicago in 1999, they did a 12-minute excerpt of Theusz. Just 12 minutes- but the most intense section with the unison guitar and bass. James, Manu and Bubu there. Just before Himiko jointed. I have never heard De Futura live either.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    They played

De Futura

Kobah
    great setlist. although it feels weird to truncate that from MDK (or anything really...)

Back in 2010 they had a blazing Kobaia to finish the set. Still the best guitar solo I've heard.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It was astounding.

I'm no longer much of a traveler, mostly due to my serious insomnia issues which become an extra challenge on the road, and social events + drink often worsen it. I came off my flight back from Bergen at 15:00, caught the train into Oslo and walked to my small apartment there, basically not having slept at all for some good 57 hours. A quick wash and change, some Scotch for the nerves, some spins of ol' Zeuhl in the livingroom and then off to Torshov, which is a 30+ minutes' stroll from where I live. I ws absolutely beat by the time I got there, didn't even bother to seek out the bar - just went straight to the floor and stood there. And then they came… And started.

"De Füturä" - fucking "De Füturä"! And by the commence of the chanting, I was already home.

I had one - 1 - bottle of San Miguel during the whole ordeal. Just stood there, tapping my shoe and humming along. When it was all over, I trudged through November chills back to St. Hanshaugen and slept like a demon baby.
    Man, this is a great story. Thanks for posting it. It sounds like a wonderful, borderline surreal type of night. So glad you enjoyed it. If I cared about rating threads, I'd rate this one higher because of your post. Hamatai!!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    What exactly is the point of rating a thread?
    All my work to make sure you are only reading the best quality content, and you just spit on it like that??

It was astounding.

I’ve been to that place where sleep deprivation can render experiences abnormally intense, as if the sensorium has been pulled out of its protective shell. The thought of seeing Magma in that state is almost frightening! But it sounds like it was, in the end, perfect.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Zess is the besst

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    as much as I've listened to these folks I still get the pieces of all their different epics mixed up all the time. I think being a fan of Magma scrambles your brain somewhat.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Interview by the Norwegian News paper 'Klassekampen' with Christian Vander just before the Oslo koncert.

Magma_Oslo.jpg

Interview by the Norwegian News paper 'Klassekampen' with Christian Vander just before the Oslo koncert.

Magma_Oslo.jpg
    Thanks anyway - but I can't read Kobaïan.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

But still cool that a norwegian nstional newspaper has a full page article on Magma. I do not see this happening in the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thanks anyway - but I can't read Kobaïan.
    https://www.duolingo.com/

If I get the time, I will post a short summary if nobody else does. There are some interesting points.

I'll bite- what kind of interesting points? :-)

OK I'll bite back

I suppose its an interview given in french, then translated to english, then to norwegian and now back again in danglish:
    (Excerpt omitting preliminary historical trivia)

About Kobaian:
    - CV: "There was a lot of talk about flowers at the time, but 'peace and love' didn't interest me. I wanted something more strict and darker - and more uniqe.
    I see myself as a kind of medium, like a vessel that is filled by something outside me."

- Q: The mythology of Magma is pessimistic about human nature, what do you think about about this in 50 years?
    - CV: "I do not have high thoughts about mankind. I believe we can disappear. In that case we will be replaced by something else. I do the best I can in the fields I master. It is not my style to walk in demonstrations waving banners"

Comment (by Q) of interest:
    - One of the projects that was abandoned in the middle of the seventies was music for films. Together with Pink Floyd, Magma should have made music for the sci-fi novel 'Dune'. HR Giger was part of the project and together with Jandro Jodorowsky they should have visualized the planet, cities and the inhabitants.
    - CV: "Giger made the cover to Attahk after an idea of mine" Vander says, and continues: We dont always have the means to complete what we want. We can't tour with a symphonic orchestra. My ambition is to continue doing a kind of music I would call multidimensional, where you don't know what's up or down. It just has to be a big cyclus of music. I am 71 years old, and still regard myself as a novice in this field.

- Q: Does Vander imagine that Zeuhl-music will continue developing as a style also after Magma ceases to exist.
    - CV:"If it really is Zeuhl-music it will probably also be created after Magma. I guess the album we released this summer, 'Zess', is a piece of Zeuhl, but besides I'm not sure that Magma allways fits the category".

Okay, some new nuggets there, for sure, notably that last one. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Okay, some new nuggets there, for sure, notably that last one. Thanks!
    I forgot one thing from the intro: CV: One of our singers is ill (Isa), therefore we are rehearsing two different repertoirs, among others pieces from the Köntarköhsz-trilogy, but also from Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh.