Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Magma Zess

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Release date : May 3rd
    Woohoo!

Man when's the preorder going up? Release is only a month away, I need my Zess
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The point from ca. 17:30 in "Köhntarkosz" and the final minutes of "Komandöh".

But yeah, the Zühn Wöhl Unsai recording is just as intense. But the Theatre album is special to me because of the rather raw directness of the recording itself, arguably done with two mikes or perhaps four at the most. They're almost present in the room with me when I play it loud. I got to play it from the deck of a mid-size shrimpboat through a powerful set of speakers some 10 years back, and I swear that force made actual waves in a steaming summer ocean! A great time had by all except for the fleeing pollocks.
    Wow, never heard this recording before. I kind of thought it was a bad audience bootleg released officially. It is smooooking. Now I need it. Was Christian at his peak in 75?

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    Man when's the preorder going up? Release is only a month away, I need my Zess
    Stella told me it isn't coming out until mid June or so.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Dang. No point in doing a rush job though, that would be infinitely worse.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

I hope the quality of the sound gets all the attention possible.

Me too. God, I'm so excited for Zess but what I really want is a studio recording of Theusz Hamtaahk. The live arrangement they've been playing since Benoit joined the band is so much better than the one on Retrospektiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The live arrangement they've been playing since Benoit joined the band is so much better than the one on Retrospektiw.
    Blasphemy....

I’ll buy my copy on june 26th at the Paris concert. [emoji1]

That's what they are waiting for - this is the concert with the orchestra, right?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

That's what they are waiting for - this is the concert with the orchestra, right?
    Yep, at the Philharmonie de Paris :-)

Here's the EPK

This is going to be AWESOME.

This got me more excited about the album than I thought I'd be. Great EPK.

Saw Magma's public rehearsal in Epinay last Saturday - great to see them back in action, with the special Paris Philharmonie concert and other 'regular' dates in France including a couple supporting King Crimson. Plus icing on the cake - Emmanuel Borghi will be back on keyboards for one gig that Jérôme Martineau can't do - don't know which one - so it looks like everything's possible again !
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    This got me more excited about the album than I thought I'd be. Great EPK.

Saw Magma's public rehearsal in Epinay last Saturday - great to see them back in action, with the special Paris Philharmonie concert and other 'regular' dates in France including a couple supporting King Crimson. Plus icing on the cake - Emmanuel Borghi will be back on keyboards for one gig that Jérôme Martineau can't do - don't know which one - so it looks like everything's possible again !
    Oh my god, that makes me so happy. Good to know that Borghi is up for a reunion, however brief it may be.
    I wish Antoine Paganotti would return to Magma, he's their best singer by far (I think better than Blasquiz, as the latter's falsettos were never really in tune)

Wow, that was impressive! Now I’m even more excited for this record.

Wonderful to watch people doing something they completely believe in. I couldn't be much more excited about the album. It's going to be magnificent.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Are they singing 'Sanctus Sanctus Jesus Christus' ?
    Thats a new turn... (except halleluja on Gamma Anteria)

They were singing that on the DVD, so it's not really new.

But count me beyond excited by this as well. But... does anyone get the sense this is a farewell valedictory?
    Last edited by Dana5140; 05-01-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Doubt it. Vander said in a couple of interviews that despite the fact that he had previously said he'd be unable to record anything after Zëss, he and Stella came up with another way of doing it without really committing to that: by thinking of it as if between quotation marks, he's free to keep on with Magma. I wouldn't have expected an easier excuse from Vander

Hope they keep on making new albums (and not short EPs like Slag Tanz and Riah Sahiltaahk) and finally record Theusz Hamtaahk in the studio.

I’ll be the party pooper here
    I’d prefer new stuff
    Félicité Thösz and Slag Tanz proved Vander can still come up with some new exciting music
    So why put so much effort in reincarnating old stuff ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I’ll be the party pooper here
    I’d prefer new stuff
    Félicité Thösz and Slag Tanz proved Vander can still come up with some new exciting music
    So why put so much effort in reincarnating old stuff ?
    I partially agree (I did not like FT at all); I don't think Riah Sahiltaahk needed to be re-recorded, but the version of Zëss on Bobino was a sub-par recording. It really deserved a better treatment.

I've never been a huge fan of Zess, but I completely understand Vander's wish to give this piece a proper studio recording. I think the new compositions hold up pretty well, and IMO they show that Vander still has it. That said, all I can do is to be thankful for any music coming out of the Magma camp, being it new or (extensively reworked) old material.

I'm even considering attending the Paris concert despite all difficulties ($$$). This is going to be special.

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I'm even considering attending the Paris concert despite all difficulties ($$$). This is going to be special.
    Yeah, plane tickets from Brazil to Paris are prohibitely expensive at the moment. At least I'll be able to see King Crimson in October.