Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Magma Zess

I bought tickets but I'm still waiting for discount plane tickets. I'd be flying from Brazil just for the concert.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Is or is this not the moment of a Joint Committee referendum as to who-plays-what in upcoming "Zess" drumming schedules? Looks exhausting, hope they get paid.

If not laid.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

No, this is the facepalm moment when Vander realizes what 'Slag Tanz' really means.

No, this is the facepalm moment when Vander realizes what 'Slag Tanz' really means.
    It means this (at least in German)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I bought tickets but I'm still waiting for discount plane tickets. I'd be flying from Brazil just for the concert.
    I salute you.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    What is the reason CV is not drumming?
    Because he is singing?
    I would understand why it would be an issue in live settings, but in the studio?
    As much as I lone Vander's drumming, I wouldn't be sad if he did abandon it to stay up front (just as long as he's not blocking the views to the ladies up there), because AFAIAC, I've always thought CV was the band's best singer by a margin.

here is why...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

]
    convincing, right??

OK, CV might want to wear short-sleeved T-shirts to hide that primate upper arm pilosity

A recording of MDK at l'Olympia with Daniel Denis (7 may 1972) does exist but - surprise surprise - is not available to the lambda members of the "race maudite".
    I'd even be part of the maudit just to hear it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As much as I lone Vander's drumming, I wouldn't be sad if he did abandon it to stay up front (just as long as he's not blocking the views to the ladies up there), because AFAIAC, I've always thought CV was the band's best singer by a margin.
    It won't take much arguing to convince me. I love Christian Vander's singing with Magma as well as Offering, especially as his voice has aged over the years.

I too love CV’s singing. He still has a beautiful voice.
    He might be the best singer in Magma but let’s be reasonable...he’s the best drummer in the goddamn world.
    Still.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    He might be the best singer in Magma but let’s be reasonable...he’s the best drummer in the goddamn world.
    Still.

Still.
    sorry, what'd you say??

504981_artist.jpg
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    sorry, what'd you say??

504981_artist.jpg
    Pffft, sorry, comparing them is like comparing a japanese sex robot to a real woman

Still.
    Totally, 100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    sorry, what'd you say??

504981_artist.jpg
    Oh shoot, you're both right!

he’s the best drummer in the goddamn world. Still.
    I only know that the Theatre du taur recording from 1975 has the most excrutiangly amazing drumming I've ever heard - regardless of genre. The guy's not merely on fire, he completely owns the flames.

[B-but that dude who disliked Yoshida-san (and namechecked him as a Muppet) was neither impressed with Vander! He was a huge fan of the drummers in Pork Three, Slim Dingsom and The Muscle Cox, tho', 'cause he knew 'em from before]
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    excrutiangly
    And that damn word doesn't even exist!

A factor that needs to be considered in this kind of comparisons is how late one comes into the picture. So hats-off to the latecomer, whose road is veiled by the shadow of giants, and still creates in a totally unique way.
    I am sure that neither can do what the other does, so it's only a question of individual taste here...

And that damn word doesn't even exist!
    Does now!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I only know that the Theatre du taur recording from 1975 has the most excrutiangly amazing drumming I've ever heard - regardless of genre. The guy's not merely on fire, he completely owns the flames.
    Any particular part you are thinking of? I own that and like it, but I don't remember it being any more crazily on fire than any of the 1974/75 period stuff.....

sf
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

How Zess-ty is this this?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Any particular part you are thinking of? I own that and like it, but I don't remember it being any more crazily on fire
    The point from ca. 17:30 in "Köhntarkosz" and the final minutes of "Komandöh".

But yeah, the Zühn Wöhl Unsai recording is just as intense. But the Theatre album is special to me because of the rather raw directness of the recording itself, arguably done with two mikes or perhaps four at the most. They're almost present in the room with me when I play it loud. I got to play it from the deck of a mid-size shrimpboat through a powerful set of speakers some 10 years back, and I swear that force made actual waves in a steaming summer ocean! A great time had by all except for the fleeing pollocks.

The point from ca. 17:30 in "Köhntarkosz" .....
    Yes. He's killing it. No doubt. I had forgotten how over the top it is.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

I love the playing on Zühn Wöhl Unsai but hot damn Klaus is completely out of tune in that recording. Sorry for the sacrilegous statement, but he's nothing compared to Antoine Paganotti.

Release date : May 3rd

Still.
    Only because Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Rashied Ali and Tony Williams are all deader an entire Enterprise away team full of red shirts.

But I'll tell ya what, Yoshida-san rocked the house when I saw him play with Samla Mammas Manna.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Release date : May 3rd

wonderful news
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I guess I'll be ordering from Wayside in May