Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Magma Zess

Morgan only mentioned he was recording one track. Is this one album-length track?
    <sig out of order>

Whoever the drummer is, if he's not using Barbie dolls instead of drum sticks, I'm not interested.

Morgen Agren has been discussing the work with Magma on his FB feed for a few weeks, noting only that he will be playing drums on the recording but not identifying it. However, it clearly has to be Zess, as that is the only composition that makes sense.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Whoever the drummer is, if he's not using Barbie dolls instead of drum sticks, I'm not interested.
    Check out Kalle Mathiesen on youtube - he might do exactly that. And he is a great drummer!

Hey it looks like they're going to start recording this either today or tomorrow, let's get this thread kicking again. I'm personally incredibly excited because Zess is a pretty big tune that has always relied on horns, synths, massed choirs and all that good stuff, so I'm hoping this recording will be a full blown studio monster like KA and E-Re unlike the last three (Felicite, Riah, Slag) which have all seemed more like stripped back, live band in studio efforts with minimal overdubs. With this most likely being the last studio album, I hope they go all out.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

That's great news. Whenever this thing comes out, I'm on it. Anything by this band at this point so late in their career is gravy and pretty much a gift.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Zëss will feature the Prague Concert Philharmonic orchestra, to be recorded this month.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 11-18-2018 at 03:39 PM.

incredible on every level
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Man, they're going all out. I am deeply excited.

I’ve seen them play live a couple of times in recent years and found the intensity undimmed. If they can marry that with orchestral scope...we could be talking el kahuna grande.

YES

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    YES
    C'mon. Let's be realistic. Not quite that good.

So is Magma the true YES these days?

No. Much, much better.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Bookmark (?). Is that still a thing?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

All of this is very exciting. Already have tickets to see them in London next October. I wonder if they're planning to play Zess live next year, and if yes, would that mean having to bring along a second drummer?

Morgan Agren is reportedly booked to play "Zess" at the Paris Philharmonie concert in 2019.

Morgan Agren is reportedly booked to play "Zess" at the Paris Philharmonie concert in 2019.
    OK, that's interesting. What about regular gigs though? Will they only play Zess at special concerts? I'll be happy to hear anything they play of course but would definitely be nice to add Zess to the list of Magma classics I've been fortunate to experience live.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Will they only play Zess at special concerts?
    I doubt it. Two current members of Magma, Benoît Alziary (vibraphone) and Jérôme Martineau (keyboards), are drummers too.

I dunno, Zess has always had an expanded lineup with at least a horn section (at least when there's a drumset present), I wouldn't be surprised if it were only played on special occasions. I guess they could always do a version closer to Les Voix, but with the esteem Vander holds the piece I feel like he wouldn't have Zess be a piece to just toss out at any concert. Plus its probably exhausting to perform, especially for Vander and whoever's drumming.

Those pulsating horns in there are killing me

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    the Paris Philharmonie concert in 2019.
    "With many guests", says the band.

A few more tickets have been released today (FNAC) for this nearly sold out concert at the Boulez shack.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 12-15-2018 at 01:06 PM.

I'll be at the Paris show.