Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Magma Zess

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    (I'll be surprised if they ever record anything after this).
    Stella is already walking that back. She did it in conversation to me personally.

I think it's very possible that they will still do something else....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I think it's very possible that they will still do something else....
    I don't mind

I don't honestly see Vander retiring until he is physically incapable of playing/singing. So as long as he's in good enough shape to do it, he (& Magma) will. Supposedly there's still a lot of unrecorded music - stuff that would require a lot of work to be recorded, but certainly stuff that could be performed in not-quite-definitive arrangements (like the last four albums were, with more music added as time went on, and some bits changed) and perfected over the course of live performances. Hopefully that's what Stella has in mind.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I'd love some new music. Really new. And a lot of the band are no longer spring chickens. Vander is 70, Stella is heading there, Zab is almost 56, Herve has a kid who is probably in college, Bubu has to be in his early 50s. Of course, Jerome is younger than my youngest son...:-)

Man, it was 1976 when I first listened to Magma. It is 43 years later!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Hearing this one the first time this evening with a glass of Spanish red wine (ran out of French),
    I'am 5 minutes in and already loving it...

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    After having the album for awhile, I'm digging it more and more with each listen. I made the mistake of listening to the other versions religiously in anticipation of the album, so I went in expecting a hyper soul-funk space epic filled with synthesizers and screaming a la Bobino, but we all know that's not quite what we got. However, I'm beginning to appreciate the piece as essentially a drawn out world-crossing train ride with Vander at the wheel, that ridiculous rhythm that permeates the track truly does sound like a train. My only main gripes at this point are that more guitar would be lovely, the bass could definitely be louder, and I could use less string melody. When the strings are used as a pad it's great, but melodically they come across as a little flimsy, I would have much preferred the melodic lines to be played by brass or woodwind. On the plus side, I absolutely love the beginning speech/solo, it builds better than the other versions, and as always, the climax is terrific. The new ending bit is also beautiful, I do love me some soul-style call and response in my Magma. I'm still not entirely sure where I'd place it alongside Magma's other records, but I'm definitely glad it exists. For some odd reason though, I feel like it's too short, anyone else feel that way?
    I agree with the bolded parts above. Having the guitar more prominent in the mix would be great too, but certainly I think squeezing in some rendition of the guitar solo is a good idea. I definitely think they could have added some more of the 'out of body delirium' as Zap said above, and used the ending they currently have as a coda. Madness and acceptance, if you will.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    What is a good alternative version of "Zess" that I could check out on CD? I'm unfamiliar with past renditions of this piece.

I know, I know... shame on me.
    For me the Myth & Legends version is the superior one.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    For me the Myth & Legends version is the superior one.
    I agree

So weird to listen to a Magma album where I understand the words

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    So weird to listen to a Magma album where I understand the words
    Maybe that's why I'm responding so positively about this release. Really enjoying it (and I'm not a Magma fan. At all.)
    The Prog Corner

Has this been posted yet?

Umm yes....

ETA: The entire live version from last week is up, though I doubt it will be there long. And let me say- wow!!!! Just wow!!!
    Last edited by Dana5140; 07-13-2019 at 07:55 PM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Umm yes....

ETA: The entire live version from last week is up, though I doubt it will be there long. And let me say- wow!!!! Just wow!!!
    The 26/6 Paris live version on YT is fucking amazeballs!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Has this been posted yet?
    I like how a portion of the video shows him doing the guitar solo stuff, it's a shame you can't hear it really in the album , because it's mixed so low

Or at least ever time I've listened, I can't make it out because there is so much going on maybe?
    I really wish the mix was better

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Umm yes....

An audio recording of the entire Philharmonie concert is up on dimeadozen.

Agree on the part that the guitar should be more upfront on the mix, considering that on the EPK video there were some tasty parts played by the guitar player. For the ones still waiting for their copy, I found Zess available on Spotify to listen.

Not to derail the conversation from the new album, but just watched the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary about the movie that never came to fruition based on the science fiction classic. The bands considered for the soundtrack would be Pink Floyd and Magma! Vander appears on the film admitting that he was in contact with Jodorowsky at the time of pre production for the film and the suggestion that the band should be included on the film came from HR Giger who did some cool drawings and models that would be used for the Harkonnen imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    Not to derail the conversation from the new album, but just watched the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary about the movie that never came to fruition based on the science fiction classic. The bands considered for the soundtrack would be Pink Floyd and Magma! Vander appears on the film admitting that he was in contact with Jodorowsky at the time of pre production for the film and the suggestion that the band should be included on the film came from HR Giger who did some cool drawings and models that would be used for the Harkonnen imagery.
    Henry Cow was also considered for the film.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post

That really was a fascinating project. Had it come to fruition, I think it would've stood as a monument to that particular generation of trippy, dark, spiritualistic sci-fi. I think in the long run I'd have preferred an adaptation of Incal, but I'm digressing.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I ordered directly from Seventh records and got an email that Zess is already out of Stock and I have to wait another 3 weeks.

Good to hear they are selling more then anticipated but on a personal side; very annoying.
    I finally received Zess and heared it now a couple of time. I admit; I am not the biggest Magma fan around and I like what I hear on Zess but still…..I prefer a version of the band where you can actually hear that band.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I finally received Zess and heared it now a couple of time. I admit; I am not the biggest Magma fan around and I like what I hear on Zess but still…..I prefer a version of the band where you can actually hear that band.
    I can hear the band just fine on this record. Not sure what you're hearing (or not hearing)...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I can hear the band just fine on this record. Not sure what you're hearing (or not hearing)...
    I think the band is mixed a little too low for my tastes. I've listened to it on headphones quite a few times and it doesn't seem as powerful in the realm of the band as it does in the strings and vocals. But that's the nice thing about magma is there so many different versions of songs that you can pick and choose which one you want to listen to. My favorite version of Zess is the DVD at the Triton

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm missing the guitar & bass, it's all vocals, keys, strings & quiet drums.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I think the band is mixed a little too low for my tastes. I've listened to it on headphones quite a few times and it doesn't seem as powerful in the realm of the band as it does in the strings and vocals. But that's the nice thing about magma is there so many different versions of songs that you can pick and choose which one you want to listen to. My favorite version of Zess is the DVD at the Triton
    The band is low, only in comparison with previous versions. It is not objectively low. People have trouble accepting this for what it is: the studio version of a great - one of the greatest actually - Magma work. No, they did not replicate the Triton version 100%. Is this what we are discussing about, or that this is an excellent record, an emotionally unique performance from a band that exists for more than half a century?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm missing the guitar & bass, it's all vocals, keys, strings & quiet drums.
    Surprising certainly, on the bass side, since that has always been such an integral part of Magma. Phillippe!!

neil