Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who wrote Video Killed the Radio Star?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well, that tune wasn't original with Prokofiev; it was an old army song. Similarly, the Falla bit that Deep Purple nicked for "Hey Joe" really came from the Andalusian folk tradition.

Some people like to justify Led Zeppelin's thievery of old blues songs by countering that "all those blues guys just stole from each other, anyway." Well, classical music is full of borrowed themes, too. The last time I heard Petrouchka performed, the pre-concert lecture was about how Stravinsky stole a bunch of contemporary parlor ballads and foxtrots and passed them off as traditional Russian folk tunes.
    He heard that about Stravinsky as well. It was told in some Dutch television-show on classical music.

There's also Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve which credits Jagger/Richard as coauthors even though it's based on Andrew Loog Oldham's orchestral rearrangement of The Last Time which itself has hardly anything in common with The Stones' version.

Well, that tune wasn't original with Prokofiev; it was an old army song. Similarly, the Falla bit that Deep Purple nicked for "Hey Joe" really came from the Andalusian folk tradition.

Some people like to justify Led Zeppelin's thievery of old blues songs by countering that "all those blues guys just stole from each other, anyway." Well, classical music is full of borrowed themes, too. The last time I heard Petrouchka performed, the pre-concert lecture was about how Stravinsky stole a bunch of contemporary parlor ballads and foxtrots and passed them off as traditional Russian folk tunes.
    So do we let Jimmy Page off the hook, because Iggy, Sergei, Bela, etc did it first? Or do we add those guys to our list of musicians we'll be forever wagging our fingers at?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So do we let Jimmy Page off the hook, because Iggy, Sergei, Bela, etc did it first?
    Nah, hang 'em all.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Nah, hang 'em all.
    Fair enough, but with the proviso that we acknowledge they still made great music in spite of thievery. Listen to The Firebird. As the jive talkin' witness says in Airplane II: The Sequel, "I mean, shit!"

Fair enough, but with the proviso that we acknowledge they still made great music in spite of thievery. Listen to The Firebird. As the jive talkin' witness says in Airplane II: The Sequel, "I mean, shit!"
    You impress me, sir. Most people do the easy thing and quote Airplane. But you have invoked Lunar Base Alpha Beta. "No tower?" "Just a bridge, sir."

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    You impress me, sir. Most people do the easy thing and quote Airplane. But you have invoked Lunar Base Alpha Beta. "No tower?" "Just a bridge, sir."
    "WHY THE HELL AREN'T I NOTIFIED ABOUT THESE THINGS?!?!?!"

"What the hell is a man doing with a bobby pin?!"

"Well, that's strange" (light on control panel, labeled "Strange" starts flashing)

"You're putting everyone aboard that shuttle in jeopardy!" (Cut to Art Fleming himself hosting a game aboard the shuttle...).

"Also, we're out of coffee" (everyone freaks out)

If you look closely, Sandahl Bergman is among the Moonbase crew, though I think she only has about two lines.

Actually, I think I might have seen the sequel more times than the original movie. I only recently found out that Zucker, Abrams, and Zucker had nothing to do with the sequel. I forget which one of them it was, but he said he keeps getting people walking up to him and quoting lines he didn't recognize, which he eventually found out where from the second movie. "Apparently, there's some funny stuff in the second movie", was his comment.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 07-14-2018 at 03:11 PM.

"WHY THE HELL AREN'T I NOTIFIED ABOUT THESE THINGS?!?!?!"

"What the hell is a man doing with a bobby pin?!"

"Well, that's strange" (light on control panel, labeled "Strange" starts flashing)

"You're putting everyone aboard that shuttle in jeopardy!" (Cut to Art Fleming himself hosting a game aboard the shuttle...).

"Also, we're out of coffee" (everyone freaks out)

If you look closely, Sandahl Bergman is among the Moonbase crew, though I think she only has about two lines.

Actually, I think I might have seen the sequel more times than the original movie. I only recently found out that Zucker, Abrams, and Zucker had nothing to do with the sequel. I forget which one of them it was, but he said he keeps getting people walking up to him and quoting lines he didn't recognize, which he eventually found out where from the second movie. "Apparently, there's some funny stuff in the second movie", was his comment.
    That does it. I'm making some time to pull this out tonight!

I found out it wasn't their movie when the first Naked Gun film came out (After the six episodes of Police Squad)

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    That does it. I'm making some time to pull this out tonight!

I found out it wasn't their movie when the first Naked Gun film came out (After the six episodes of Police Squad)
    Oh, Police Squad! I remember watching that during it's original run. I read that one of the ABC executives said the reason Police Squad flopped (originally) was because "You actually have to pay attention". Then a few years later, around the time the first Naked Gun movie came out, A&E aired it again as part of the "Cult Classic Comedy" thing.