Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New from from Coltrane coming soon

Very high on my "to-Get" list.

Nice review there Per Anporth.....I'm even more excited to get it now.
    G.A.S -aholic

I never got the 1962 Quartet album titled Coltrane. Just did a search for it and damn, no CD in print. What the hell?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I never got the 1962 Quartet album titled Coltrane. Just did a search for it and damn, no CD in print. What the hell?
    Wow, was that deluxe double CD edition really 16 years ago?

Amazon's listings are screwed up...they have a vinyl edition, but if you click on the CD link under the same picture, it links to the '50s Prestige album also titled Coltrane (which they also have a separate listing for). There's a twofer version with Giant Steps in stock, but obviously not a legitimate release as those albums belong to two different labels.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I see Discogs has a few copies but none of the 1997 reissue (the supposedly best sounding) are a new copy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Both "Ballads" and the Johnny Hartmann album are essential to my Coltrane collection too
    Revisiting "Ballads" tonight thanks to this thread. Damn that's a fine album. Coltrane's quartet was in fine fettle!

Interesting article by Lewis Porter re: this release.

http://wbgo.org/post/deep-dive-lewis...tions#stream/0
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Interesting article by Lewis Porter re: this release.

http://wbgo.org/post/deep-dive-lewis...tions#stream/0
    Thanks for posting this link - Lewis Porter is always fascinating to read on Trane, & he has much that is interesting to say here.

I think that I agree with him about the session not having the feel of a more or less predetermined lp set - his observations about the facts pointing towards the ad hoc nature of the gig underscore what struck me about the lack of coherence between the many different musical directions being explored.

That said, it's intriguing that there are three or four tracks here which are explored in multiple takes, in a couple of instances with quite different arrangements - an approach which doesn't chime with Trane's usual approach by this stage in his career, which was to trust in the vibrant creativity of the first & second takes.

Given this - & given the fact that only one of the tracks featured on this record (Nature Boy - & this in a significantly developed form, in comparison to what remains something of a sketch here) would go on to figure on an official studio release... - it raises the question of just what the ultimate purpose of this studio session was, & what prompted it.

Well, my copy of the deluxe edition just arrived today. Made it through disc 1, and it's fine stuff.

I'm no connoisseur, but I like what I hear so far.

Both "Ballads" and the Johnny Hartmann album are essential to my Coltrane collection too -- though I recall reading somewhere that Hartmann and Coltrane were never in the studio together at the same time. Their contributions were recorded at separate times, and assembled by Bob Thiele.
    Not true.

One factor possibly relevant to Coltrane’s “lost session” is that it was recorded just shortly before be moved out of the house he shared with Naima Coltrane. He’d already met Alice McLeod and fallen out of love with Naima, and was busy pondering his future. It must have been a wrenching time in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Not true.
    Yeah, I don’t remember where I read that, but you’re right.

Yeah, I don’t remember where I read that, but you’re right.
    Maybe thinking of the Diana Ross/Marvin Gaye album? That is one true example I know of a duets album where the performers were never together in the studio.

There's the ghastly phenomenon of posthumous duets, like Natalie Cole singing with Nat King Cole long after his death. Hank Williams Jr had a duet with Hank Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's the ghastly phenomenon of posthumous duets, like Natalie Cole singing with Nat King Cole long after his death. Hank Williams Jr had a duet with Hank Sr.
    And then there’s Yes.

the disc was all sold out yesterday (both in CD and Vinyl) so they're getting a re-order Tuesday and I reserved one for my next Sunday downtown trip
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I just got it, put it on and broke into a huge smile. I thought I had heard everything, and here is something new, and it is good as gold! Just gorgeous.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Got this Tuesday night and gave it a good spin Wed and yesterday...Absolutely love it. Sounds superb...I like that they left-in the Engineer talking between takes...gives it a true "live-in-the-studio feel.

...Now, if they could only find a "lost recording" of YES recorded between Tales and Relayer....THAT would be something.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Wow, was that deluxe double CD edition really 16 years ago?

Amazon's listings are screwed up...they have a vinyl edition, but if you click on the CD link under the same picture, it links to the '50s Prestige album also titled Coltrane (which they also have a separate listing for). There's a twofer version with Giant Steps in stock, but obviously not a legitimate release as those albums belong to two different labels.
    I just got the MP3 from Amazon. I figure I'll track down the CD one of these days and the MP3 was really cheap. It sounds fine on my little office system but I am sure if I burned it to a disc and played it on the living room system the limitations would be audible.