Page 78 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2106

Thread: Stoner!

So I've been spending the last 2 months learning more about mixing and mastering. I've been compiling an album that is reflective of 2020 in all it's misery and glory. Here's my take on the USA's political morass and a glimpse into the forthcoming album. I hope you like it and will look forward to the rest coming some time in the next month or so on Bandcamp. I will only be requesting a nominal fee for the whole shebang to cover some costs because I take so much pleasure in playing and composing and now mastering that I just want to share it with the world.

Enjoy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Great thread but too YUUUGE to weed through. If you wanna play.....hit us with 'yer TOP 5 - 10 fav or so stoner/doomer/psycher records of the past whatever number of years. Much appreciated!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I did a YT search on 70s, psych, doom, acid rock. The result was....Randy Holden (ex. Blue Cheer)....."Population II" (1970).

Gulp!

Gets more stoned out as the album goes along... (Foghound - Quick, Dirty and High)_

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Great thread but too YUUUGE to weed through. If you wanna play.....hit us with 'yer TOP 5 - 10 fav or so stoner/doomer/psycher records of the past whatever number of years. Much appreciated!
    Well I can only post what I like, others may not consider these top-anything. These are the bands I have to own everything they've recorded.

Sleep - The Sciences - apart from the title track which is 3 minutes of feedback, flawless album of heavy Sabbath-style riffing, songs stretch out and morph into different sections. Some may not go for the vocals but there is a lot more instrumental parts than vocals.
    Fu Manchu - Early stuff like Daredevil, In Search Of and The Action is Go... slight sound change for California Crossing and King of the Road... skip Start the Machine and We Must Obey, too much like punk... later stuff like Signs of Infinite Power, Gigantoid and Clone of the Universe (featuring Alex Lifeson on a long instrumental)... all great fuzzy riffy California beach culture with fun songs about cars, racing, vans, rocket ships and 60's movie monsters. Many of the songs don't just ride the same riff throughout, there's usually a bridge or shift that kicks in and delivers something unexpected.
    Sasquatch - five albums of heavy 70's style rock, vocalist sounds a bit like Chris Cornell. Writing, execution and production a notch above everything else. If I could only keep two of the five, I'd grab "II" and "IV".
    Wo Fat - thick, bluesy Texas 3-piece heavy on the jamming and riffing. A lot of songs about the evils of digital music and the glories of analog amps and recording. The first album I'm not crazy about, hadn't developed their sound yet but all the others are great. If I had to keep two, "Black Code" and "Three Minutes to Midnight".
    Elder - from Boston, elements of psych/prog/stoner all together in a huge-sounding 3-piece. Everything a notch above most other stuff out there. Another case of the first album not having found their signature sound yet, but everything else is a must-have. If I have to keep two, "Dead Roots Stirring" and "Reflections of a Floating World"... but that could change.

After that there are a lot of bands that I've copied/pasted their albums here because they were good enough to get my attention. Either I haven't gotten their whole catalog yet or they have only made one or a few albums. There are tons of stoner albums on Youtube channels and very few I find worthy enough (for my ears) to post here.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Yeah, that's the cream of the crop, especially Elder. I would suggest going to Bandcamp and checking out as well: Visitations by Sundrifter, III by Weedpecker, and Pyramidal by Pyramidal
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Sasquatch - five albums of heavy 70's style rock, vocalist sounds a bit like Chris Cornell. Writing, execution and production a notch above everything else. If I could only keep two of the five, I'd grab "II" and "IV".
    Sounds interesting. I'll check 'em out after I've heard some 70s obscurities I have bookmarked. That's what I'm into at the moment, and for the last couple months.

I've gotten tired of Sleep and some of their contemporaries. It's like they just build their sound on one aspect of early Sabbath. The originals from the 60s and 70s were more diverse (imo).

I’m happy to announce the release of my first album “2020 Suite”. As you can tell by the name it is a compilation of songs written about the events of this past year. I know, I know, the year isn’t over yet, but I anticipate there will be a plethora of albums with a similar theme so I’m getting a jump on them.
    The album is available for streaming or digital download on Bandcamp. It is available in both 16 bit and 24 bit HD audio quality.

About the album itself: it is an instrumental work that spans several genre’s from rock, to ambient electronic, to mellow rock to classical and several things in between, so if you listen to one track and don’t care for it just play the next one and you will hear something in a different vein.

I really think this group is going to enjoy the Bonus Track (Submerged) as well as tracks 2, 3, 8, 15, and 16.

Emjoy,
    Bob

https://bobmcneice.bandcamp.com/albu...ophile-quality

a0349763940_16.jpg
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Two others who are on the outskirts of this category, may or may not be considered as stoner:

Spiritual Beggars
    - from Sweden, another one that I have to own everything they've done. Sound like they time-traveled in right from the early 70's, authentic-sounding as opposed to trying hard. Influences from Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Hendrix, Scorpions. They've gone thru 3 lead vocalists already, all of them good and fit the music. Earlier stuff is more trippy and psychedelic, later stuff is more strongly song-oriented with heavier use of Purple/Heep style keyboards (Per Wiberg from Opeth). This is a side project of the guitarist from Arch Enemy and he has the 70's guitar tones nailed, everything about this is a notch above. If I had to keep two... not easy... "On Fire" and "Earth Blues"...

The Sword - the debut is very Sabbath-like but into a more heavy rock sound by their 3rd and 4th albums with even some Thin Lizzy influence. The first four are great (Age of Winters, Gods of the Earth, Warp Riders and Apocryphon) but then they drop off a cliff with a drastic sound change on the next few. Another sub-par singer with a limited range but it doesn't bother me as the riffs are just too good. As Vic said, there are a lot of bands with a big Sabbath influence and most of them I turn off as soon as the singer kicks in but for whatever reason, the singing in Sleep and The Sword doesn't bother me as the music isn't just outright Sabbath copying, they used it as a launching point and expanded their music beyond (I never liked Black Sabbath so go figure)...

Thx for the FAV recommendations so far folks! Appreciated.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Last edited by spellbound; 10-02-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Listening to Sasquatch IV. Yeah the singer does sorta have a Chris Cornell quality. Good, heavy rock, but kinda brickwalled. They sorta remind me of a modern Buffalo, an Australian band from the early 70s. Dave Tice sounds a little like Cornell.

Couldn't finish IV. Brickwalled to all hell. Now listening to Sasquatch S/T. This is more like it. Brutal, groovey, and not brickwalled.

I'm still doing the new Elder. A tremendous effort.
    The older I get, the better I was.

There was nothing like the first wave of stoner metal, during the 90s / early 00s. When everything was fresh and hungry.

Lowrider's debut or second Roachpowder are model albums of the genre. And rarely mentioned...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The Atomic Bitchwax - Scorpio

Now that there is some gnarly gee-tar from Lowrider and Roachpowder!

You guys may like this. It starts out slow and melodic then gets fun at the end.

Released TODAY:

Good shit...! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Released TODAY:

Good shit...! lol
    Picked this one off off bandcamp today. I really liked the last one. No vocals this time around I see...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Playing with some new sounds after my Arturia software update. You guys might like the spacey/ambient side of this.

Blackjack Mountain - basic meat n' potatoes style 70's riff rock that would probably appeal to our several Kiss fans...

Stoner rock album of 2020

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.