Thread: Stoner!

Top 10 stoner exclusively (no psych/doom/sludge etc.)

COJONES Sunrise
    COLOUR HAZE CO2
    KYUSS Welcome to sky valley
    LOWRIDER Ode to Io
    MONSTER MAGNET Spine of God
    NIGHTSTALKER The ritual
    ORANGE GOBLIN Time travelling blues
    ROACHPOWDER Atomic church
    SPIRITUAL BEGGARS Mantra III
    UFOMAMMUT Godlike snake
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    [SIZE=4]

Here's what pushes my buttons:

Wo Fat - thick analog bluesy 3-piece from Texas. First album hadn't quite defined their sound yet but all great after that.
    These guys are my favourites. They lay down a real groove, fuzzy fuzzy psych doom trips on epic scale. Even quite enjoy the lyrics.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I'm starting to get into the genre..., anybody want to put up a top ten list?
    Anything by All Them Witches or The Sword.

Bonehawk - two albums of classic rock utilizing a Thin Lizzy approach with constructed twin guitar instrumental sections as opposed to aimless soloing

Bonehawk are homeboys from here in Kalamazoo. I did not know they were known outside of Southwest Michigan, so this is cool. They play around this area quite frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Hunt down Weedpecker III immediately!
    I guess this announcement should make some people here happy:

WEEDPECKER – IV: THE STREAM OF FORGOTTEN THOUGHTS | OUT DECEMBER 3RD
    http://https://www.stickman-records....-december-3rd/

Hope this one is going to be as good as Weedpecker III
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Bonehawk are homeboys from here in Kalamazoo. I did not know they were known outside of Southwest Michigan, so this is cool. They play around this area quite frequently.
    "Albino Rhino" and their latest "Iron Mountain" get regular spins in my listening queue...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    . Even quite enjoy the lyrics.
    Many Wo Fat lyrics are about the evils of soulless digital recording and the purity of crackling tube amps and analog recording, great stuff.

On a completely unrelated note, I am blown away by your avatar of FORBUSH MAN from the short-lived Marvel self-parody comic of the 60's, Not Brand Ecch!! My favorite comic of all time! I no longer have my dozen issues though, ended up giving them to my nephew when he was similarly smitten with them.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Thanks everyone!

This is where Spotify shines
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I listened to BoneHawk on my morning walk. I like them. Kind of a mix between Thin Lizzy-style hard rock with stoner riffs and modern distortion. The vox are more stoner than classic hard rock and I don't have a problem with that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Top ten for me:

Clutch - Robot Hive / Exodus
    Kyuss - Sky Valley
    Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity
    Spirit Caravan - Jug Fulla Sun
    Goatsnake - Vol 1
    Orange Goblin - Time Travelling Blues
    Spiritual Beggars - Ad Astra
    Dozer - Through The Eyes of Heathens
    Truckfighters - Gravity X
    Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
    Tu veux un camembert?

"Albino Rhino" and their latest "Iron Mountain" get regular spins in my listening queue...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    New King Buffalo (I guess this band is friends of All Them Witches). Their last one was good!

Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Thanks everyone!

This is where Spotify shines
    I might be old-fashioned but I always listen to Pandora.

Has anyone mentioned the almighty ЯoToR from Berlin around here yet?

If not so, let me introduce you to one another:

I dig their last album Sechs the most, the dual guitars work really good together on this one and the songwriting is top notch as usual.

exis par exis tone

Not exactly sure if this is STONER, although if one was stoned, I'm sure they would like it, @ 47 minutes, It's a LOOONG one.

I love this track and if anyone knows of similar recordings, PLEASE let me know....!

https://zagusljividim.bandcamp.com/track/krugovi

I just got Dopesmoker by Sleep ......
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Weas, do you use Bandcamp?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Weas, do you use Bandcamp?
    yeah a little bit to check out friends projects and stuff (Ive bought a few things through it)
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    yeah a little bit to check out friends projects and stuff (Ive bought a few things through it)
    Check out Howling Giant, Weedpecker, and King Buffalo!

In case they haven't been mentioned ( I did a search but don't always trust my searching skills) the band Vodun have been in heavy rotation with me lately. Here is my genre description, Proggy Stoner Occult Metal

Vodun Bandcamp
    Vodun Site

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Sasquatch has a new album coming soon and also announced they are playing at Desertfest NYC in May - look at this 3-day lineup of stoner bands, WOW!!

https://www.desertfestnewyork.com/?m...eid=dd1a86747b

Sasquatch has a new album coming soon and also announced they are playing at Desertfest NYC in May - look at this 3-day lineup of stoner bands, WOW!!

https://www.desertfestnewyork.com/?m...eid=dd1a86747b
    Amazing lineup! Poor timing. That is a fest I'd travel for, but I already have two conflicting events that weekend. Do you think the organizers would consider rescheduling to accommodate me?
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

New albums on the way from Wo Fat and Ufomammut. Looking forward to both

From Third Man Records - 4 LP mega-reissue of Sleep's Dopesmoker:

Records that exist as if in a vacuum, seemingly divined from some otherworldly domain, almost unconnected to all life on our earthly realm… those are the records to cherish, to seek out, to explore every last note.

In an attempt to further divine the legend and lore behind its epic nature, Third Man Records is humbled to announce the deluxe and expanded reissue of Sleep’s Dopesmoker as their 52nd Vault package.

The only word that really feels appropriate to describe Sleep’s magnum opus Dopesmoker is… singular. The album stands apart from the myriad of subgenres that try to claim ownership of it and ultimately manages to exist solely by itself. There are imitators and pretenders that fall into the wake…but there can be only one original.

With audio precisely remastered by Carl Saff at Saff Mastering using the original master tapes not used on any previous release of the album, the 60-plus minutes of the definitive, canonical version of Dopesmoker appreciated by fans for years has never sounded so crisp, so clear, so heavy. This improved-upon master is worth the price of admission alone.

Yet there is still more.

Side D of this monster features the previously unknown recording of the long-lost Sleep song “Hot Lava Man.” For years relegated to scratchy live takes from shady, unauthorized recordings known only to the most die hard of die hards, this sublime, proper take was recorded at Razor’s Edge Studio in San Francisco in 1992. “Hot Lava Man” is a riff heavy gem worth the price of admission alone.

There is still yet more.

Side E is of particular excitement as it features two previously unreleased outtakes from the Dopesmoker sessions. The alternate take of “Dopesmoker (Part 1)” and the alternate solo version are both as revelatory as they are mind-blowing. For the previously released version being so ingrained in the fiber of fans, to hear two alternates, recorded at the exact same time, with plenty of variation and differences to draw an “oh shit!” from any and all who hear it…this is the express reason the Vault exists. The archaeological discoveries are worth the price of admission alone.

Yet still, there is more.

Side F is a sharp as hell etching of the iconic Arik Roper Weedian image as famously featured on the cover of all versions of Dopesmoker since 2012 including this one…proceeding to Nazareth.

Disc four showcases an early, embryonic live recording of “Dopesmoker” from the I-Beam club in San Francisco on May 28th, 1994. Raw in all the best senses of the word, this version captured in the wild is a prime first-hand historical document that only adds nuance and depth to the path of “Dopesmoker.”

Each LP is pressed on green kush vinyl, a specialized custom blend of five different colors all mixed together to create the impressive approximation of the choicest indica strains. Additionally, the LPs are all pressed on triple-beam tipping 180-gram vinyl for that hefty, important feel.

Still yet there is more.

To further push this over-the-top we’ve included a 7-inch single showcasing the “Dopesmoker (radio edit)” and “Proceeds the Weedian” (another abridged version culled from the full-length “Dopesmoker” song). Housed in a perfectly green Third Man company sleeve and bedecked with the quintessential Weedian, this is the first Sleep 7-inch release since 1991. Also pressed on choice green kush vinyl.

This behemoth of a collection lives sumptuously in a wraparound slipcase with each individual LP disc housed in a full-color printed sleeve featuring of-the-era pictures.

To fully jam this into unquestionably overloaded territory, the package is rounded out by not one but TWO full-color posters measuring 16.5 x 24 inches and 12 x 24 inches depicting a full-color photo of the band around the time of recording the album and the legendary “riff chart” breaking down all the different rational components of the hour-plus long song, respectively. And let's not forget the 4.5-inch diameter woven patch showing off the inimitable Weedian for a piece that will increase the badass factor by ten of whichever garment is lucky enough to become attached to it.