Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Recently picked up 2 Bongripper albums, haven't had a chance to listen to much of them, but I dig what I've heard. They're instrumental so if vocals are a turnoff, they might be of interest to folks.

Re: Ancestors. I've got all their albums, but tend to reach for the last couple more often than the first two. That said, I agree they lay the Floyd stuff on a bit too thick at times these days. Heck, the cover of In Dreams could have been done by Hipgnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Bongripper is labeled as sludge/doom metal, so I'm not sure if they can be included here, but here they are

http://bongripper.bandcamp.com/
    My idea of "stoner" is open to different interpretations, so go ahead and recommend away!

Doing bongrips will most likely get you stoned so there is some correlation.
    I listened to a couple of camples from My Sleeping Karma. They will definitely on
    the "to buy" list.

Recently entered this domain - and will be checking out the "OM" show here in town on Thanksgiving weekend. I've done some research and purchased a few CD's . . . great stuff !!!

I have all of Bongripper's FL releases except SWD, which is the only one I find boring. Here's something from the latest Sons of Otis release

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The one I ordered is called "Of Sound Mind". The samples seem fairly decent and it was only 8.00 so I took a chance.
    Good choice Yves!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Ah, I can see I have much catching up to do, in as I have heard
    Causa Sui (The Summer Session is GREAT)
    Samsara Blues Experiment

but not most of the others . . .
    Earthless &
    Ancestors
    sound very interesting indeed.
    regards
    KGH

Quote Originally Posted by frippster View Post
    Recently picked up 2 Bongripper albums,
    Their debut The Great Barrier Reefer, privately released in 2006 (and reissued currently on double LP and CD from Emetic Records) is a classic piece of stoner doom and mega recommended. A single 79 mins track!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Spacefreak + KADAVAR & Co out to lunch

with Kadavar [1024x768].jpg
    Last edited by spacefreak; 11-08-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Great Barrier Reefer reish and Satan Worshiping Doom are the 2 I got.

Re: Earthless. I prefer Sonic Prayer over Rhythms From a Cosmic Sky, but you can't go wrong with either (or Live @ Roadburn and Sonic Prayer Jam, for that matter) Rhythms also has a cover of Cherry Red by The Groundhogs.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Their debut The Great Barrier Reefer, privately released in 2006 (and reissued currently on double LP and CD from Emetic Records) is a classic piece of stoner doom and mega recommended. A single 79 mins track!
    I bought the recent reissue of that one. Pre-ordered and forgot about it, so when it came I was surprised. great stuff.

what, no mention of Masters of Reality?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Don't have that one but I have their last 3 and I'm a fan! They are part of my "stoner" playlist for my i-Pod.

Good to know. They were new to me, but at that price I could give them a shot. Also, it had an attached label that said recommended if you like Slayer, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Clutch, and Mastodon. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Spacefreak + KADAVAR & Co out to lunch

Attachment 208
    Spyros, you might try that again, I don't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Spyros, you might try that again, I don't see anything.
    Now it seems to me OK.

Also count me among UFOMAMMUT's fans. They keep a steady quality with every release of theirs...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

The eons are closing
    No KYUSS without Masters of Reality imo.
    So yes, they certainly deserve mention. I only have Sunrise on the Sufferbus.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Big fan of this type of music. Here's one of the first bands I got into after Kyuss and Monster Magnet:

Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    i highly, highly recommend the first s/t album which has been long out of print but soon to be released on a double disc, it just absolutely kills. the whole damn Masters catalog is worth having.

Sufferbus, man, back in the day i was pretty obsessed with the first MoR that when i found out there was a new one on the way i couldn't be happier, then the 'holy shit' moment of finding out Ginger Baker was drumming on that one was even better.

yup, anything that Chris Goss puts his hands on is golden in my book, incuding the newest release from The Cult.

oddly i don't have a single Kyuss album, i should be working to fix that soon.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I have Sunrise on the Sufferbus and an unreleased album called The Ballad of Jody Frosty. The latter you should be able to find as a free download somewhere, since you can't buy it. I'd supply a link, but I no longer remember where I found it.

Any fans of the many bands fronted by Scott "Wino" Weinrich?

The Obssessed, Saint-Vitus, Spirit Caravan, The Hidden Hand, Stormbringer..... He's the Mike Portnoy of stoner!

Any fans of the many bands fronted by Scott "Wino" Weinrich?

The Obssessed, Saint-Vitus, Spirit Caravan, The Hidden Hand, Stormbringer..... He's the Mike Portnoy of stoner!

Place of Skulls is a scott weinrich band which features victor griffin from pentagram. there is some kick ass stuff on "with vision". kyuss is great, trouble, spitual beggars, high on fire, bongzilla, zebulon pike are all excellent if maybe step down from kyuss imo.
    Last edited by yogibear; 11-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I have Sunrise on the Sufferbus and an unreleased album called The Ballad of Jody Frosty. The latter you should be able to find as a free download somewhere, since you can't buy it. I'd supply a link, but I no longer remember where I found it.
    Thanks for the tip.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    i highly, highly recommend the first s/t album which has been long out of print but soon to be released on a double disc, it just absolutely kills. the whole damn Masters catalog is worth having.

Sufferbus, man, back in the day i was pretty obsessed with the first MoR that when i found out there was a new one on the way i couldn't be happier, then the 'holy shit' moment of finding out Ginger Baker was drumming on that one was even better.

yup, anything that Chris Goss puts his hands on is golden in my book, incuding the newest release from The Cult.

oddly i don't have a single Kyuss album, i should be working to fix that soon.
    I enjoy the Cult alot (and its one of my son's (5 yrs old) fav bands) so I will definitely look for that too.

Like Whorg, I have recently explored this area. Current fave is My Sleeping Karma, can't seem to get enough of them. Something about them... the vibe, repetitive psychedelic grooves, thundering bass, spacey keys and solid, but tasty drumming. Some great tension and release music. "Soma" is an absolute monster. My favorite CD so far this year. And this is a genre of music that I knew nothing about a year ago. Cool stuff. Great to see other suggestions. A sample: