Page 54 of 85 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2106

Thread: Stoner!

Wow, reminds me of the movie Wizards.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I recently dld a show by Mars Red Sky. I listened to about half of it today and revisited their studio output. I like 'em quite a bit. and yes, apparently the singer is a guy. https://marsredsky.bandcamp.com/album/be-my-guide-ep

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Wow, reminds me of the movie Wizards.

I can see that - also a little of the Heavy Metal movie.

This reminded me, they're playing in Brooklyn Friday night. My wife'll kill me but I feel like I need to see go.

I haven't seen either movie, but it's certainly a reality check when you realize that the MRS singer is indeed a man.

Thanks for the heads-up. I downloaded me a copy from bandcamp

Finally got "To the Highest Gods We Know" from Colour Haze and am listening to the first song. Mercy, there's some righteous stoned riffage here. The chihuahua is curling into a fetal ball here in my office, awestruck by the mightiness of the guitars.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Is that a new one? I stopped following that band...

Heard a new release by a "supergroup" called KIND. Pretty good stuff!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

It was new early this year. I didn't know about it. I put a handful of CH shows on CDR and move on. This is one of the bands I always come back to.

http://www.colourhaze.de/to-the-highest-gods-we-know

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Is that a new one? I stopped following that band...
    Yes and unfortunately their worse i.m.o. It sounded very boring (deja vu) and hastingly composed, so I skipped from buying it.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Been a while since I contributed something to this thread...

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Been a while since I contributed something to this thread...
    Do you have that? I'm listening to it and I love it...it's now on my amazon wishlist
    Last edited by davis; 12-23-2015 at 06:00 PM.

Wow, Mars Red Sky is cool!! I think this is my new fave subgenre. It's really just psych, isn't it?

I distinguish between stoner and psych in my collection. Bands like Elder, Egypt, Ethereal Riffian, Ancestors, Shrinebuilder etc... are stoner whereas bands like Colour Haze, Sungrazer, Domo, Pyramidal, Earthless, Weepecker, My Sleeping Karma, etc... are heavy psych.

Weepecker! LOL! Kind of defeats the purpose of being in a band, no?

iOS REALLY didn't want me to type Weepecker.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I distinguish between stoner and psych in my collection. Bands like Elder, Egypt, Ethereal Riffian, Ancestors, Shrinebuilder etc... are stoner whereas bands like Colour Haze, Sungrazer, Domo, Pyramidal, Earthless, Weepecker, My Sleeping Karma, etc... are heavy psych.
    Do you store stuff by subgenre?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Weepecker! LOL! Kind of defeats the purpose of being in a band, no?

iOS REALLY didn't want me to type Weepecker.
    Actually, it's Weedpecker https://weedpecker.bandcamp.com/
    Last edited by davis; 01-09-2016 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Do you have that? I'm listening to it and I love it...it's now on my amazon wishlist
    No, not yet but it's on my list as well. This is their (Lowrider) only album apart from a split EP they did with Nebula, both back in 1999/2000. Too bad they broke up because this is a great album.

I just ran into this band on the Small Stone Records site. I love this.

I had to explain to my teen son how just because I'm getting into this genre called Stoner, that doesn't mean I'm stoned when listening to it. It's true. Can we call it something else? Unicorn Prog?

This was posted on a stoner rock Youtube channel but it almost sounds like it doesn't belong in this thread... yet I think it's a killer guitar tour de force! As someone mentioned in the comments, there's some Yes-style riffing and soloing with a Dick Dale guitar run... and in the middle of the first song it breaks into a Santana vibe where the vocals come in. There's some heavy psych by the time you get to the third song. There may be a few "stoner" elements but the whole thing is a stew of a ton of different styles and influences. See if you like...

I sampled Floodlore on Bandcamp but the vocals threw me off. I have become very picky with my stoner since the more I listen to, the more things start sounding the same...

Jed, I don't buy physical copies of music anymore. I arrange my downloads in playlists based on subgenres. I listen to music by being in the mood for a certain subgenre then call up the appropriate playlist and set it to shuffle.

Here's a recent discovery for me. From Australia. They've got 2 albums out: