Page 22 of 85 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

FYI, I just came across a 4-song album w/2 songs by Wo Fat and 2 songs by Egypt.
    http://egypt1.bandcamp.com/album/cyclopean-riffs

Banned
    Dig out my Sword CD(Apocryphon) and I just discovered some Geezer sounding bass at the beginning of The Hidden Masters. Sounds N.I.Bish.

Just had a shit load of stuff delivered: High Priest of Saturn, a couple of Colour Haze I didn't have, Jex Thoth, Lord Vicar, Samsara Blues Experiment-Long Distance Trip, Ufomammut-Eve, the new QOTSA, Sasquath-II, Five Horse Johnson-The Taking of Blackheart, Electric Wizard-Come My Fanatics and a couple more I can't think of off the top of my head!

That High Priest of Saturn is pretty good Steve! Have you checked out Golden Void from San Francisco? I dig them quite a bit-might have even gotten recommended them from this thread! LOL

^^ imo, you can't go wrong with FHJ or Ufomammut. I'm exploring the Colour Haze catalog - so far I dig the first 2 albums enough to purchase. Sasquatch IV is due out this year I think.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    That High Priest of Saturn is pretty good Steve! Have you checked out Golden Void from San Francisco? I dig them quite a bit-might have even gotten recommended them from this thread! LOL
    No, I haven't heard Golden Void yet. There is so much stuff in this thread it ought to be a sticky!

For those so inclined, there is a new Causa Sui audience recording on Dime! The sample sounds promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    There is so much stuff in this thread it ought to be a sticky!
    Now, now... You want all the card-carrying proggers up in arms that a non-prog thread has a sticky?

Now...lemme me go check out Golden Void...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Just had a shit load of stuff delivered: Jex Thoth
    Her new one? It arrived today at my front door...

...with GOATESS, new DARK BUDDHA RISING and new BRUTUS.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I checked out Golden Void and it seems a little too lyric-driven for me. Not crazy about his voice either. However, the organ player from that band is from a band called Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound. They've got that heavy psyche San Francisco vibe going on that I've been totally digging so I bought their 2nd and 3rd albums. The newest one was maybe a little too Grateful Dead'ish for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Her new one? It arrived today at my front door...

...with GOATESS, new DARK BUDDHA RISING and new BRUTUS.
    Yes, the new Jex Thoth.

I also received both of the Ghost albums (or Ghost BC). They should call themselves Ghost BOC. To me, they sound like the second coming of "Fire Of Unknown Origin" era Blue Oyster Cult! I like 'em.

Holy fuck!!!

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I also received both of the Ghost albums (or Ghost BC). They should call themselves Ghost BOC. To me, they sound like the second coming of "Fire Of Unknown Origin" era Blue Oyster Cult! I like 'em.
    I liked their first. Can't say the same for their second though... Very bombastic and theatrical with calculated catchines i.m.o. (it's even close to disco at times).

I agree with the Blue Oyster Cult resemblance.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

That Pyramidal track is THE BEAST!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That Pyramidal track is THE BEAST!
    It's from their new album "Frozen Galaxies" that arrived yesterday and is stuck on my turntable ever since...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

It's from their new album "Frozen Galaxies" that arrived yesterday and is stuck on my turntable ever since...
    I've been getting as many as I can on vinyl but damn it gets expensive! Still, some of the packaging for the limited vinyl editions is to die for. I really like the color vinyl used by Rise Above as well. I don't think I'll ever be able to cross over into downloads only. I don't even own an MP3 player!

Usually I chase vinyl when it's reasonably priced or I can swap it. For example the new PYRAMIDAL is not reasonable... You've got the LP at 30 euros (and it's on single cover) and the CD just 12...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I've been getting as many as I can on vinyl but damn it gets expensive! Still, some of the packaging for the limited vinyl editions is to die for. I really like the color vinyl used by Rise Above as well. I don't think I'll ever be able to cross over into downloads only. I don't even own an MP3 player!
    Steve, I'm only concerned about the music these days and not the packaging. Downloads are so much more affordable and instantly available. I use my PC plugged into a small stereo as my main music listening device ( with over 11000 songs on iTunes). I also have a 160G iPod that can be hooked into any stereo in the house (I have the above mentioned stereo as well as 2 home theaters). It also works on a surprisingly good sounding Harmon Kardon docking station (to be used in the yard) and also makes my music collection (what I choose to actually rip) fully portable.

I love the "playlists" feature that let's you combine any artists/albums/bands into hours of pre-programmed music, or shuffles songs to create the ultimate radio station while BBQing in the yard.

I hear ya, Yves. Portability is an attractive feature, but I just can't see myself re-learning how to listen to music because I can carry it around or have a playlist. Hell, I've never even used a shuffle button on a CD player. I tend to play an album from start to finish. For me, having songs on a playlist would be the equivalent of watching scenes out of sequence in a movie. I'm an old fart when it comes to interacting with music; I can't imagine trying to BBQ while listening to Sungrazer. The only multitasking I generally do is lift a glass to my lips.

I download bootlegs or albums I don't really care that much about, but in general I like having the full package.

New on Rise Above.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I also have a 160G iPod that can be hooked into any stereo in the house
    Question: Is it 'normal' that when you have an iPod or any other mp3 portable player on 'shuffle' that 1 or more songs will play twice before all the songs have played? That happens with mine. I figured it happens because I got a really cheap RCA ($30/8 gb).
    Last edited by davis; 07-14-2013 at 07:38 PM.

New on Rise Above.
    Right on, Spyros! I really dug that track!

Age of Taurus-really cool tune! Think I will have to pick that CD up!

Hi had this CD on my wishlist for quite some time, finally picking it up while in Seattle - Black Moth - The Killing Jar

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I have the Black Moth album but I have not listened to it yet.

I hear ya, Yves. Portability is an attractive feature, but I just can't see myself re-learning how to listen to music because I can carry it around or have a playlist. Hell, I've never even used a shuffle button on a CD player. I tend to play an album from start to finish. For me, having songs on a playlist would be the equivalent of watching scenes out of sequence in a movie. I'm an old fart when it comes to interacting with music; I can't imagine trying to BBQ while listening to Sungrazer. The only multitasking I generally do is lift a glass to my lips.

I download bootlegs or albums I don't really care that much about, but in general I like having the full package.
    I sometimes feel the need to play entire albums, but I'm more about mixing it up but staying within a certain 'mood'. That's why creating playlists and then shuffling them has become my favorite way to listen to music. Another favorite is choosing just one artist and shuffling their entire catalogue.