Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Heaven and Hell's "The Devil You Know" has a far better sound in comparison...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Had RJD not died, it would have been interesting to see what Heaven and Hell could have done, especially with a producer that would let the music breath instead of brickwall the bastard.

But I'm having too much fun with these stoner bands to get too worked up about it. And I've got copies of the seminal Sabbath albums which I do still play a lot.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just out! Today we received the vinyls. Announcement soon...

Acid doom trip.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    ^ Jerjo, I don't blame you. One individual tends to get very defensive about the slightest negative comment about Sabbath. It makes it difficult to give an honest opinion. Personally, I love 13. I think it stands up well in their legacy. But I can think of a couple negative things to say about it too. I didn't love it instantly but after a couple spins I was hooked. I think the problem for some might be in comparing 13 to their classics from s/t through Sabotage. There's just no way 13 can rival those albums. No, effing way.
    Hey, I don't mind any negative comments about 13 on my thread. I've heard them all:Rick Rubin sucks, no Bill Ward, Ozzy can't sing anymore, and the mastering sucks. Does that about cover it?

I picked up the Orchid- The Mouths of Madness album after reading about it here. I don't recall who recommended it, but thanks! That is some seriously great Sabbath influenced stuff. How's the first album?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Hey, I don't mind any negative comments about 13 on my thread. I've heard them all:Rick Rubin sucks, no Bill Ward, Ozzy can't sing anymore, and the mastering sucks. Does that about cover it?
    I shoulda just been clear about this. I wasn't referring to you Jif, it's the other guy who's name also starts with a "J."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I picked up the Orchid- The Mouths of Madness album after reading about it here. I don't recall who recommended it, but thanks! That is some seriously great Sabbath influenced stuff. How's the first album?
    Joe, if you like The Mouths of Madness, you can't go wrong with Capricorn. It's excellent.

Rise Above Records says:

UNCLE ACID ANNOUNCED AS MAIN SUPPORT SUPPORT TO BLACK SABBATH ON UK EUROPEAN TOUR. FULL PRESS RELEASE THIS TIME!!

Pretty cool!

I just ran into this on youtube and dig it.

That was one massive piece of stoner groove!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Rise Above Records says:

UNCLE ACID ANNOUNCED AS MAIN SUPPORT SUPPORT TO BLACK SABBATH ON UK EUROPEAN TOUR. FULL PRESS RELEASE THIS TIME!!

Pretty cool!
    That is awesome! This could be a very big break for Uncle Acid.

I've been playing the heck out of the latest from The Sword, "Apocryphon." Great from front to back. I like all of their albums but I think this is my favorite now.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Joe, if you like The Mouths of Madness, you can't go wrong with Capricorn. It's excellent.
    Add the debut EP to the equation. I have a serious mancrush on Orchid these days!

Re New Sabbath... I haven't heard it yet. My issues with these 'dinosaur' bands releasing albums late in their career parallel spacefreak's thoughts. Take Rush as an example, last two albums are barely listenable to me because of the massive wall of sound production. I prefer a much more organic sound. I always tend to lean towards underproduced vs overproduced.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I've been playing the heck out of the latest from The Sword, "Apocryphon." Great from front to back. I like all of their albums but I think this is my favorite now.
    My favorite by The Sword remains the debut. I find that each successive release has cleaned the sound up more and more, while the riffs have seemed lass and less inspired, imo...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

^ I like the first 2 albums but don't care for Warp Riuders. I bought Apocryphon but strangely enough, haven't listened to it yet. after WR, maybe it's anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    ^ I like the first 2 albums but don't care for Warp Riuders. I bought Apocryphon but strangely enough, haven't listened to it yet. after WR, maybe it's anxiety.
    I haven't listened to The Sword yet. I just purchased "Apocryphon" so we'll see. Funny though, "Warp Riders" is the highest rated on RYM of the four albums. What didn't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Add the debut EP to the equation. I have a serious mancrush on Orchid these days!

Re New Sabbath... I haven't heard it yet. My issues with these 'dinosaur' bands releasing albums late in their career parallel spacefreak's thoughts. Take Rush as an example, last two albums are barely listenable to me because of the massive wall of sound production. I prefer a much more organic sound. I always tend to lean towards underproduced vs overproduced.
    Yves, I think Orchid have two EPs. I don't have either of them yet.

I really enjoy the new Sabbath and I'm glad it's been commercially successful. It's weird though, in that I'd much rather listen to Sabbath inspired bands than Black Sabbath. I would easily take most of the artists discussed in this thread over "13". For me, it has less to do with production than hearing a veteran band versus someone much younger and hungrier. As much as I like the new albums by Sabbath and Deep Purple, they are "mature' records, which is to say enjoyable but not up to the standards they themselves set 40+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    I haven't listened to The Sword yet. I just purchased "Apocryphon" so we'll see. Funny though, "Warp Riders" is the highest rated on RYM of the four albums. What didn't you like about it?
    I like Warp Riders but it's my least favorite of their 4 albums. In comparison, it's probably more "rock" and less "stoner" than their others. Their first is probably the most stoner. I think the albums were becoming slightly less stoner with each release but Apochryphon has dialed the sound back in the direction of stoner.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Trouble - The Tempter/Bastards Will Pay. Saw these guys with Danzig back in the early 90's, met the drummer and one of the guitar players. Very cool band, loved the Sabbath sound with Christian themed lyrics.

Another I really dig from them, E.N.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I always tend to lean towards underproduced vs overproduced.
    Right.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    It's weird though, in that I'd much rather listen to Sabbath inspired bands than Black Sabbath. I would easily take most of the artists discussed in this thread over "13". For me, it has less to do with production than hearing a veteran band versus someone much younger and hungrier.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    I read your question yesterday and couldn't give a specific answer cause I haven't heard the album in so long, so I listened to it again and don't know why I didn't like it before. I dig it now.

I read your question yesterday and couldn't give a specific answer cause I haven't heard the album in so long, so I listened to it again and don't know why I didn't like it before. I dig it now.
    Thanks (and also to Garden Dreamer). I'll probably end up getting all four

anybody in this thread may want to check out this 25%-off sale: http://www.smallstone.com/
    Last edited by davis; 06-19-2013 at 10:18 AM.

anybody in this thread may want to check out this 25%-off sale: http://www.smallstone.com/
    Oh, now you've done it!
    Goodbye, cash.