Page 18 of 85 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Banned
    Sea Of Tranquility gave the new Orchid CD a great review, and four stars.

fwiw...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Big fan of Colour Haze...
    This Colour Haze show is new on Dime today. I'll let you know about the SQ.
    COLOUR HAZE
    Hirsch, Nuernberg, Germany
    May - 29 - 2013

^ the SQ is SDB or close to it. anybody wants a copy, pm me.

Fourth album "Scarab" from Queen Elephantine. CD is out now on Heart & Crossbone and deluxe gatefold vinyl next week, from Cosmic Eye.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

This post would probably not fit anywhere else on PE - so here we go.

I scan the musician ads on Craigslist most every day - - - and this one popped up: "Unclean Vocalist" - - - with the following Youtube link:

Fuckin' funny stuff = = I'm cryin' here !!!

He sang at my wedding.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

LOL - no shit - that kid was funny !!!

Barb married you????????
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Is this a thread for stoners? If so, count me in and pass the bong.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

What's a stoner? I have both Astra cds. Do I qualify?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

A stoner is a person who, even if they haven't ingested any kind of drug, when listening to stoner rock/metal music the whites of their eyes get pink, their eyes settle into a sort of squinting position, they feel relaxed to the point of feeling a buzz, they giggle/smile at almost anything, and somehow the word "Wow" seems to to be the best word to describe the beauty & magic of everything in an around them. that's my toke, er, uh, take anyway.

the actual definition is someone who takes (usually nonprescription) drugs regularly. I do that too, but mine are all prescription drugs.

When I listen to druggy music I light a stick of Nag Champa, pop a simvastatin for my cholesterol and let the groove wash over me. Does that count?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Barb married you????????
    No, but I'll make her listen to this guy and if she likes him, I'm on bended knee!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

from Italy. listen to all of it/buy: http://stonerkebab.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by davis; 06-07-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Space Cadet
    Another old favorite...saw these guys with Bitchwax (I think) at least once. Members of Drag Pack if I recall correctly.

Six Sigma:

Quote Originally Posted by Toka View Post
    Another old favorite...saw these guys with Bitchwax (I think) at least once. Members of Drag Pack if I recall correctly.

Six Sigma:

Ha! This is my younger Brother's band (Doug Timms)...yes, members of Drag Pack.

The drummer from Bitchwax (Keith Ackermen) used to be in my band ORION.
    Last edited by Supersonic Scientist; 06-07-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: add info

Space Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Ha! This is my younger Brother's band (Doug Timms)...yes, members of Drag Pack.

The drummer from Bitchwax (Keith Ackermen) used to be in my band ORION.
    Awesome! Do you or your brother still play out? That split Drag Pack did with Smoke In Sunshine is still one of my favorites from that era. I'll check out your band ASAP!

Toka,
    My Brother is "married with children" now. He hasn't played GTR in years.

My band ORION disbanded back in 1996. My new band (Absolute Velocity) here in Atlanta is getting ready to record our first CD.

The ORION cd is available from CD-baby

Banned
    I just saw an allmusic post on Facebook about an all female called Heliotropes. Apparently, it's described as heavy stoner metal/space psych. Sorry if this as been mentioned before.

they giggle/smile at almost anything, and somehow the word "Wow" seems to to be the best word to describe the beauty & magic of everything in an around them. that's my toke, er, uh, take anyway.
    That's me. Problem is that most of the people around me aren't in the same state of consciousness, so when I start feeding money into the jukebox I'm usually banging my head, and playing air guitar by myself. One thing you don't wanna do around women you meet in pubs is play air guitar in front of them because then they give you that look that says ...no, you're not playing air guitar in public are you???...Nutter Alert....Nutter Alert !!!

So for those of us still following this great thread, how do you think the new Sabbath album compares to all the stoner/doom releases of recent times? Yves, have you heard it yet?

I thought it was uninspired. But I hate it when people jump in a thread about a band just to get negative so I am not going to post in that Sabbath thread.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Jerjo, I don't blame you. One individual tends to get very defensive about the slightest negative comment about Sabbath. It makes it difficult to give an honest opinion. Personally, I love 13. I think it stands up well in their legacy. But I can think of a couple negative things to say about it too. I didn't love it instantly but after a couple spins I was hooked. I think the problem for some might be in comparing 13 to their classics from s/t through Sabotage. There's just no way 13 can rival those albums. No, effing way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    So for those of us still following this great thread, how do you think the new Sabbath album compares to all the stoner/doom releases of recent times? Yves, have you heard it yet?
    Good but not great. A more than decent effort, considering the circumstances beneath his birth.

The main problems are:
    1. Ozzy can't sing anymore (without immense studio trickery and support) and in some songs he gives the impression of reading the lyrics.
    2. There is no Bill Ward to swing it up.
    3. Rick "Ruin" Rubin was the worst choice they could have made. His clinical, close to sterile, reverbless and overcompressed approach does not allow the music to breathe as it should.

The qualities:
    1. Iommi shreds like he's on a mission to deliver his most dark riffs.
    2. They are revisiting their roots and do it very convincingly.

Compared to the current doom releases:
    In my opinion it forcefully fits the doom/stoner niche. It is a more "modern metal" sounding album with a doom foundation but it is not "out to lunch". I guess it targets a different audience.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 06-15-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS