Page 14 of 85 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Sometimes I have a hard time differentiating myself. I find that they often overlap. I think probably the biggest difference is that stoner tends to be more jam oriented and leans toward the psychedlic spectrum. The recent Glowsun CD would be a great example of this; very Sabbath-y but also somewhat trippy as well. Sleep's "Dopesmoker" has a lot of Iommi style riffs but it's very jammy. I think doom tends to stick more to traditional metal.

Trouble was a doom oriented band in the 80s and attempted to cross over in the 90s, although I think the self titled album from 1990 is as great as any Trouble rekkid. With "Manic Frustration", you could tell they were trying to woo the alternative rock crowd. I would probably try to sample these bands on Youtube and see what floats your boat. There are loads of these bands out there; doom and stoner.
    Come to think of it, I believe that Trouble was mentioned by Sebastian Bach when he appeared on MTV's Cribs when he showed off his CD collection. Exciter was another band that was mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    what is the difference between Doom and Stoner?
    Another aspect is that stoner tends to absorb influences from the dirty hard rock groups of the early 70s (Mountain, Grand Funk, Blue Cheer etc.) an area that doom usually ignores stylistically. As a "rule" doom is slower, more downtuned and metal based. Some could sustain the argument that post 90s traditional doom bands have one foot in Sabbath and the other in the 80s metal imitators Witchfinder General and Saint Vitus. There is also a tendency on many modern doom bands to flirt with the slower parts of thrash metal and even slow, morbid death metal (Hellhammer, Asphyx, early Obituary). Or even slowed down grindcore and guitar driven industrial as in some bands of the "funeral doom" style.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Steve, have you heard anything after "Manic Frustration" (which I love btw...). Green Plastic Head was a superb disc! Simple Mind Condition is a hit and miss affair for me.

JIF, Exciter was a thrash band from Ottawa ON. They would sometimes be the undercard in certain metal shows up here. I once saw a triple bill in Montreal with Exciter, Anvil, and Voivod. Some of Canada's finest metal on display!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Steve, have you heard anything after "Manic Frustration" (which I love btw...). Green Plastic Head was a superb disc! Simple Mind Condition is a hit and miss affair for me.

JIF, Exciter was a thrash band from Ottawa ON. They would sometimes be the undercard in certain metal shows up here. I once saw a triple bill in Montreal with Exciter, Anvil, and Voivod. Some of Canada's finest metal on display!
    I was just wondering if this Trouble was the same one that Baz was talking about. I didn't mean(or want) to derail this thread into Canadian speed metal. I'm loving this thread, and all this talk about Stoner music.

There's an excellent chance that SB was referring to this band. Psalm 9 was released in 1984, and if the band had been from the Bay Area instead of Chicago, they may have taken off like Metallica and Slayer did. Both their debut and the superior (imo) The Skull were in regular rotation at my house in the mid 80s.

Yes, I love both Green Plastic Head and Manic Frustration. But it took me a while to get into MF because it was so different from what came before. I can't bring myself to get Simple Mind Condition because I've heard so many mixed reports. Eric Wagner is on it though, correct? It'll be interesting to see if he does a studio album as part of The Skull!

"Pounding Metal" is an all times classic song. And the whole Violence & Force album shreds...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Space Cadet
    Glad to see these bands getting some love...I lived and breathed (cough) this "scene" for years. Went to several Emissions From The Monolith fests, Stoner Hands Of Doom a few times (all at the lovely, and sadly defunct, Nyabinghi in Youngstown, OH) and have many fond sorta-memories.

I only skimmed this thread so I apologize for any repeats, but my some of my faves include:

Sons Of Otis (jammy "doom blues", like Robin Trower at 7 RPM):

Warhorse (far and away the heaviest band I've ever seen live...they blew Electric Wizard off the stage on the Dopethrone tour. Heavier than sunn o))) as well):

Core (these guys never got their due...guitarist Finn is now in The Atomic Bitchwax):

I had a lot of fun seeing shows at places like The Khyber in Philly, Brighton Bar in Long Branch, NJ, and of course the 'binghi. And all the Mans Ruin vinyl...
    Last edited by Toka; 04-05-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Space Cadet
    And one more since 3 is the limit:

Earthride (I chose a live clip because they are all about seeing frontman Dave Sherman in action. Biker doom!):

Thanks for sharing Toka! I'll have to chewck those bands out when I get home.

Nice references Toka.

EARTHRIDE are the finest Maryland doom band to my ears. The Lemmy like vocals on their Vampire Circus album, blend exquisitely with their swamp style of doom. Nice to see them back in 2010 with Something Wicked.

As for WARHORSE, they are my favourite US doom band by far. Too bad they lasted so briefly. Everything they recorded is emblematic.

SONS OF OTIS are still around and kicking wild!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

...and sadly we 've forgotten some Spain.

Warchetype

Orthodox

Pyramidal

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    What is the best and most Sabbath-like Trouble album to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    What is the best and most Sabbath-like Trouble album to start with?
    "Psalm 9" for the most Sabbath-like, "The Skull" for their best.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    "Psalm 9" for the most Sabbath-like, "The Skull" for their best.
    So, The Skull is not Sabbath-like?

More technical, melodic and traditionally heavy metal. The Sabbath elements are recognisable but not as predominant as in "Psaln 9". It is the album where the twin guitars are dueling in a Judas Priest way and the NWoBHM elements (see Desolation Angels) claim their vital area, over the doom sound. Additionally, it inlcudes the monumental 11 minutes opus "The Wish", probably their finest moment!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm probably in the minority, but I've always felt "The Wish" is overlong and blemishes what is otherwise an excellent record.

I think Trouble is one of those bands that you can start with the first album (Psalm 9) and work your way forward.

New Spiritual Beggars coming April 16:

I still prefer JB or Spice to the new singer. No longer an auto-buy.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    New Spiritual Beggars coming April 16:

I still prefer JB or Spice to the new singer. No longer an auto-buy.
    Listened to it few days ago. I will agree that they are no longer an auto-buy...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Besides Amazon and All That Is Heavy, where do you guys go to get your stoner? I'm finding the more overtly psychedelic stuff posted earlier in the thread harder to find and/or expensive at Amazon. Stuff like Causa Sui, etc.

If you're not looking for a physical copy, iTunes has A LOT of good stuff. I just ordered Pyramidal thanks to spacefreak's post above. I also discovered that My Sleeping Karma has at least 2 releases prior to Soma so I ordered both of them. Once you choose to sample from a particular disc you are given recommendations based on what others who ordered said disc have also ordered. I saw that Causa Sui's debut as well and the Summer Sessions 1-2-3 were available. I did not look for the Pewt'r Sessions since I already own them all.

While I used to really like owning a physical copy, I am finding that 90% of my music listening is now done through iTunes (hooked up to a stereo) or my iPod. Saving on shipping in addition to a generally lower purchase price, and an excellent selection of harder to find stuff will have me returning.

PS: I bought the Summer Sessions from Ken. Cost me 27.00 for a 3-CD box but well worth it!

There's quite a bit of stoner at http://bandcamp.com/ Sometimes, if you contact the artist, you can get a physical copy. I've done that. With albums I've dld, I convert to wav and burn to CDR anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Besides Amazon and All That Is Heavy, where do you guys go to get your stoner? I'm finding the more overtly psychedelic stuff posted earlier in the thread harder to find and/or expensive at Amazon. Stuff like Causa Sui, etc.
    Mostly at my local record store and direct from the artist/labels. But also:

http://www.kozmik-artifactz.com

http://www.recordheaven.net

http://www.clear-spot.nl

http://www.sulatron.com/xoshop/index...d71a890073dac1
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Just want to take a timeout here and thank you guys for keeping this thread going for 14 pages. I honestly believe this to be the best thread going on PE right now. I believe PE should about so much more than just discussing bands from 40 years ago and this thread is a great example of introducing current yet obscure music to the masses.

Just want to take a timeout here and thank you guys for keeping this thread going for 14 pages. I honestly believe this to be the best thread going on PE right now. I believe PE should about so much more than just discussing bands from 40 years ago and this thread is a great example of introducing current yet obscure music to the masses.

+1! Seriously, no single thread in the history of PE has made me empty my wallet so much. In fact, this is pretty much the only thread I've been paying much attention to since the switch to the new PE.

Just ordered: the first Sungrazer album, Baroness (Red & Blue albums), Acid King-Busse Woods, Midnight Ghost Train-Buffalo, Church of Misery-Master of Brutality.