Page 12 of 85 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoner!

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I only have one Sleep album, simply called "Sleep". I don't reach for it very often. I prefer the off-shoots of Sleep (OM, High On Fire).
    The debut Sleep -Volume I is very atypical of their sound. I bought it upon release and sold it a week after.

Any of you guys into Electric Wizard? I never bought their latest. Is it pretty much a continuation of "Black Masses" ?
    I'm a fan since their beginnings. Which album do you mean? I think "Black Masses" is their last (and weakest i.m.o.). Though the tour was great!
    Last edited by spacefreak; 03-01-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Any of you guys into Electric Wizard? I never bought their latest. Is it pretty much a continuation of "Black Masses" ?
    I wasn't particularly fond of "Black Masses" so I stopped at this one.

I think Wo Fat needs to release a live show, or just post a full one on YT.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

You're right spacefreak. For some reason I thought Witchcult came after Black Masses. My only other exposure to this band is Come My Fanatics from the 90s.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm glad to see this thread carrying on. I'm getting turned onto quite a few bands that I was unaware of. Keep those recommendations coming.!

You're right spacefreak. For some reason I thought Witchcult came after Black Masses. My only other exposure to this band is Come My Fanatics from the 90s.
    Which is their best to my ears...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Which one? Come My Fanatics?

Another band I've been meaning to ask folks about is Orange Goblin. I only own "Thieving In The House Of God" and was wondering how representative of their sound it is. They're not a pure stoner band but they rock hard!

Which one? Come My Fanatics?

Another band I've been meaning to ask folks about is Orange Goblin. I only own "Thieving In The House Of God" and was wondering how representative of their sound it is. They're not a pure stoner band but they rock hard!
    Come My Fanatics first and then either the Chrononaut miniLP in Man's Ruin or the Witchcult Today with the reborn line-up.

I'm not a huge Orange Goblin follower as I've been disappointed when they took a more street metal/punkish direction and abandoned their most bluesy/stoner stuff. I have kept their first three: Frequencies From Planet Ten, Time Travelling Blues and The Big Black. Can't say which of the three is my preferable, they are all to an equal level.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Haven't checked to see if this band has already been listed... don't have this disc yet but dig pretty much all their others...being all instrumental is sometimes nice.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    I got both Psychedelonaut & THe Black Code based on this thread. The Black Code just CRUSHES!
    I'm making my way through The Black Code this morning. I agree. it's like Godzilla music! So far, so AWEsome.

Orange Goblin's latest is actually pretty damn good, and worth checking out if you thought the last few were weak. Definitely back in the stoner camp for the most part.

Another cool band I just discovered is Inferno (XII) from Sweden. Their latest Call of Kia is damn good, with plenty of old Sabbath, Saint Vitus, and Pentagram influences, plus there's some wild bluesy, swampy psychedelic stuff going on as well that reminds me of early Down and Mastodon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    Haven't checked to see if this band has already been listed... don't have this disc yet but dig pretty much all their others...being all instrumental is sometimes nice.
    Thanks for reminding me - I've been wanting to check out Stinking Lizavetta. After hearing that song, I want more

Hey Yves, if you really haven't heard Sleep's "Dopesmoker", you ought to give it a try. The album is the definition of a grower; I wasn't sure at first but I'm really digging it now. One 65 minute piece of sludgy psychedelic Sabbath-ian hard rock: perfect music for a lengthy work commute during a snowstorm. :-)

Desertfest 2013

Good God, check out this lineup!

http://thedesertfest.com/london/line-up/

^ That's kind of overwhelming. Holy Cow!

This looks pretty interesting and educational. kinda like Stoner radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOpM1...D215H6MKhiaouY

Just sifting through NPRs music site and came across an entry on this band called Clutch. Never heard of them but there's a little bit of Monster Magnet/Spiritual Beggars in the grooves

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...-one-two-punch
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just sifting through NPRs music site and came across an entry on this band called Clutch. Never heard of them[/url]
    Oh yeah, get on board with Clutch NOW! My two faves by them are "Robot Hive/Exodus" and "Blast Tyrant". Incredibly clever lyrical wordplay.

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Excuse the bad pun but Clutch never grabbed me... I tried to get into them but ultimatley got rid of the discs I had.

I'm off for their gig in about an hour!

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just sifting through NPRs music site and came across an entry on this band called Clutch. Never heard of them but there's a little bit of Monster Magnet/Spiritual Beggars in the grooves

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...-one-two-punch
    I've been a Clutch fan for quite a while. Good to hear they have a new album coming out this month. This is the first I heard about it. The featured song sounds good to me. Thanks for the link.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Everyone should check out Riotgod's first album and also Mos Generator "Nomads". Both of these are pretty much great the whole way thru.

First official sample of their upcoming album. I hear a cleaner and more "tamed" sound. Hope Nuclear Blast doesn't ruin them like the last Witchcraft.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I'm off for their gig in about an hour!

How was the Sardonis gig?