Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vespero & Angel Ontalva

Vespero & Angel Ontalva

Russian space-rockers Vespero and avant - prog guitarist Ángel Ontalva (October Equus) will release an album "Carta Marina"!

Now 1 composition from upcoming album is available on soundcloud:
    http://https://soundcloud.com/vesper...ntalva-sea-orm

You can hear single on bandcamp page:
    http://https://vespero.bandcamp.com/track/carta-marina

and here`s some live videos of this project:

Glad to see great musicians teaming up!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Interesting and unexpected teaming up!

Wow! Two A-listers come together from opposite ends of Europe. Nice.

Friends! We are glad to present you our new collaboration album!
    Ángel Ontalva & Vespero "Carta Marina".

This album is inspired by images and visions of the "Carta marina et descriptio septentrionalium terrarum", the first map of the Nordic countries by Olaus Magnus.

streaming via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
    In our merch page you can order CD version of the album:
    professionally pressed CD 6-panel cardboard folder.

https://vespero.bandcamp.com/merch
    cover_024.jpgcover_036.jpg

Must_buy_immediately

well, I may be crazy... but this album sounds a lot like classic Heldon to me

excellent!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

For folks in the USA, Wayside Music will have copies 'soon-ish'....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Thanks for the heads up! Gonna sample this over the weekend!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    For folks in the USA, Wayside Music will have copies 'soon-ish'....
    Sweet! I'll be keeping an eye out.

Friends!
    We are glad to start pre-order of Ángel Ontalva / Vespero forthcoming album "SADA" !
    Its our 2nd collaborative album, and it was really hard work for all of us .
    Official date of release will be Febryary,1st. "SADA" will released as CD/digital.
    Now you can hear one track "A Sense of Clarity".

https://vespero.bandcamp.com/album/sada

Stay tuned!

I love Vespero, I gotta have 9 or 10 of their CD's...!

Listening to the embeds in this thread is the first I've checked out Vespero. I love what I hear. Trouble is, I don't at all consider it to be Space Rock, and every outlet I checked describes them as that. Now, I love Space Rock, but at this point, I have enough. If I buy some of this, I'm looking for stuff that sounds like the embeds, not classic Space Rock. Am I setting myself up for disappointment? I took a chance on the recent preorder that drops February 1st. and ordered that. How do the rest of their output stack up, understanding that I'd rather avoid the Space Rock?

Dude they are much more prog than space...

I only have Carta Marina and I'd say its a mix between retro prog, avant prog and space rock.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkVespero View Post
    Friends!
    We are glad to start pre-order of Ángel Ontalva / Vespero forthcoming album "SADA" !
    Its our 2nd collaborative album, and it was really hard work for all of us .
    Official date of release will be Febryary,1st. "SADA" will released as CD/digital.
    Now you can hear one track "A Sense of Clarity".

https://vespero.bandcamp.com/album/sada

Stay tuned!

excellent news.

Looking forward to it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Really loving 'Sada' at the moment. I probably like this one even better then Carta marina, which was very good as well. This one has maybe a little more variation in sounds and moods.

For me the first winner of 2020.

The new record is outstanding! At first couple of listens I wasn't so sure, but now it is sinking in. There seems to be some densely composed material, along with more improvisational parts - so this feels like it should appeal more to Prog fans than Carta Marina (which was also great, but simpler as a conception). Definitely it is not an easy record to get into, one needs to pay attention when listening, to not lose the thread.

I would be very interested to know how this collaboration works. Does Ontalva spend time in Russia? Who is writing what? I love Angel's writing style, he allows his hand to carry him away in unexpected ways but always keeps the various moods, influences, ideas under control. To me he is one of the few really great creative minds working in the rock music context these days.

People should listen and buy this as soon as possible.

Nice!.
    More music from Angel O and Ark V:

“Dear Friend:

We have released a new album called Ángel Ontalva & Ark Vespero "Shaman Rock".
    The idea of this duo with Ark Fedotov (Vespero) appeared at the recording sessions for the album Sada, in the fall of 2019. In January I wrote and recorded six new compositions inspired on the Baikal Lake, and Ark added his dreamy vintage synth parts in the past week. So, this is absolutely fresh new music, and I hope you will enjoy it.

It will be released only in digital format and available on octoberXart Records:”

http://octoberxart.bandcamp.com/album/shaman-rock
    Last edited by TCC; 02-10-2020 at 02:34 PM.

^^^ I played this one yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot.

More laid back than Sada but some great melodic playing by Angel. Recommended! (again)

A couple of new albums with the guys, one released two or three months ago and another will be available in middle December:
    cover ok.jpg SEAORM OLKHON PORTADA.jpg
    Live in Astrakhan is mostly music from Carta Marina and some from my solo albums, very different to the original studio versions, great sound. It was at the opening of my exhibition of paintings at that theatre.
    Seaorm - Olkhon is an corrected and augmented version of Shaman Rock with several extra tracks, new guitars plus great bass and drums by Arkady and Ivan, rhythm section of Vespero. The music is in the wave of my work with Vespero but in power trio format and some kraut-electronic atmospheres.
    More here: http://octoberxart.bandcamp.com
    and here: http://angelontalva.com
    Ángel

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    The new record is outstanding! At first couple of listens I wasn't so sure, but now it is sinking in. There seems to be some densely composed material, along with more improvisational parts - so this feels like it should appeal more to Prog fans than Carta Marina (which was also great, but simpler as a conception). Definitely it is not an easy record to get into, one needs to pay attention when listening, to not lose the thread.

I would be very interested to know how this collaboration works. Does Ontalva spend time in Russia? Who is writing what? I love Angel's writing style, he allows his hand to carry him away in unexpected ways but always keeps the various moods, influences, ideas under control. To me he is one of the few really great creative minds working in the rock music context these days.

People should listen and buy this as soon as possible.
    Thanks for the nice words. In the last years i used to pass half the year in Russia, until the Covid forced me to stay here since April. In the case of Sada and some of Carta Marina too, I sent them 2 or 3 minutes demo recordings with the main melodies and chords, in the style of my album Satellites for example, and they developed the songs in their own way. Then we rehearsed and recorded all together there in Astrakhan.

I picked up the entire catalog as available on Bandcamp recently and still getting through them. Enjoying them very much, thank you!

Yeah, Ontalva/October Equus are among my very favorite current artists.

Top shelf stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ahrm View Post
    Thanks for the nice words. In the last years i used to pass half the year in Russia, until the Covid forced me to stay here since April. In the case of Sada and some of Carta Marina too, I sent them 2 or 3 minutes demo recordings with the main melodies and chords, in the style of my album Satellites for example, and they developed the songs in their own way. Then we rehearsed and recorded all together there in Astrakhan.
    It's so good to have you here Angel. Thank you for the information. Sounds like a very interesting and challenging way of combining forces. I hope that soon this madness ends and people are free again to travel and interact, and musicians return to where they belong: the stage, in front of people.

Keep the beautiful music coming in these bleak times.