Thread: Pusha T samples Yes on new CD

Pusha T samples Yes on new CD

Don't really know what to make of this...rap meets prog?? Or (C)rap meets prog??

"What Would Meek Do"...a track from the new CD "Daytona" by Pusha T (feat. Kanye West)...samples Yes's "Heart of the Sunrise".

At least writing credit is given:

What Would Meek Do? Featuring – Kanye West
    Written-By – William Bruford, Christopher Squire, Jon Anderson, Kanye West, Terrence Thornton

Does this belong in "Off Topic"?
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    Don't really know what to make of this...rap meets prog?? Or (C)rap meets prog??

"What Would Meek Do"...a track from the new CD "Daytona" by Pusha T (feat. Kanye West)...samples Yes's "Heart of the Sunrise".

Written-By – William Bruford, Christopher Squire, Jon Anderson, Kanye West, Terrence Thornton

I first got into prog through exploring songs sampled in hip hop.
    This is just another in a long line of Yes songs sampled in hip hop music (https://www.whosampled.com/Yes/sampled/)
    I think one of the interesting things is that it's Kanye West who produced those tracks, so one of the biggest producers and artists in the world sampled Yes for that record.
    Honestly a pretty good look for Yes right now.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "Yo yo yo we eat at chez nous!"

BTW, yes, this definitely belongs on the main page.

This was released on Friday. Not Yes. Some other prog band.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm not familiar with 9th Wonder, but Black Thought is in The Roots, Jimmy Fallon's house band.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Some rappers have "big ears." I was surprised to hear a song on the first Manfred Mann Chapter III album sampled.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Sampling Yes - so newb. Now sampling Orchestra Njervudarov, that's something.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post

Ironically, the only member of Yes not being credited is Rick Wakeman, and it is his keyboard part being sampled! He was not credited for writing anything on the fragile album due to his contract with A&M at the time.

And I agree, this does belong on the main page.
    Gary Levin (a.k.a. The Microwave Brain)
    Co-host, The Greatest Show From Earth
    9:00 PM Eastern time first Sunday of each month
    WWUH-FM 91.3 West Hartford, CT and wwuh.org

Well, it looks like we may have found our vocalist candidate for Ongoing Yes, after all are gone except Billy (Don't Call Me Cockroach) Sherwood.

Yeah, this IS the great irony of that whole song. Classic Yes moment if you ask me.

Of course, this thread could have been called it's existing title with "who sampled 21st Century Schizoid Man" tacked on at the end. But I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by MicrowaveBrain View Post
    Ironically, the only member of Yes not being credited is Rick Wakeman, and it is his keyboard part being sampled! He was not credited for writing anything on the fragile album due to his contract with A&M at the time.

And I agree, this does belong on the main page.

The eons are closing
    We need to get this on par with normal PE "Yes Threads".

Whose guitar playing sounds best sampled?

BTW- that sample site URL was the tits.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

They should have gone the Michael Jackson route and sampled “Owner of a Lonely Heart.” Sample-ception:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Apparently not the first time Pusha-T has sampled Yes:

Apparently, sampling art rock is common place in hip hop these days. I recall reading that some rapper sampled FM, which at least in part, inspired their reunion about 10 years ago.

I also remember Steve Feigenbaum saying that Hugh Hopper's share of royalties from a track off Two Rainbows Daily being sampled literally paid his medical expenses the last few years of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

I also remember Steve Feigenbaum saying that Hugh Hopper's share of royalties from a track off Two Rainbows Daily being sampled literally paid his medical expenses the last few years of his life.
    England. Socialized medicine. No need for sweating to pay for health care in counties with politicians that care about human life AFTER you’re born.

You’re remembering very close though; his part of the Two Rainbow Dailies sample used by Common on the track NagChampa paid his living expenses (rent, etc) for the last year or so do his life, when he was too ill to gig and work, which is how he paid his rent.....

It was a great thing to have happen at a very stressful time for him and family.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    England. Socialized medicine. No need for sweating to pay for health care in counties with politicians that care about human life AFTER you’re born.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

You’re remembering very close though; his part of the Two Rainbow Dailies sample used by Common on the track NagChampa paid his living expenses (rent, etc) for the last year or so do his life, when he was too ill to gig and work, which is how he paid his rent.....

It was a great thing to have happen at a very stressful time for him and family.
    I stand corrected.