Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: GOD, I Really Hate Classic Rock Radio !!!

Well, the classic rock radio I tend to listen to, has a regular prog-show. Last week they played:
    Pierre Moerlens Gong
    Bruford
    Brand X
    and some more, but I can't open the playlist.

That would be a welcome addition to any classic rock station, Rare Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Well, the classic rock radio I tend to listen to, has a regular prog-show. Last week they played:
    Pierre Moerlens Gong
    Bruford
    Brand X
    and some more, but I can't open the playlist.
    Sweet! Are they a commercial station or a public station?

When I listen to music on the radio it is usually stations like these http://www.internet-radio.com/stations/ebm/
    or classical or metal.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Sweet! Are they a commercial station or a public station?
    Commercial. They have a weekly metal show, a weekly prog show and a weekly blues show, all one hour long.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ummm...yes. That's exactly why they don't do it. They've spend massive dollars on market studies which have told them exactly what people want them to play. Corporations aren't keen on taking risks.

Well, no, there isn't. Or else you would have one. They used to have more "progressive" stations on satellite and terrestrial radio, and those stations have died. Why does a station die? Because they don't get the ratings. And they don't get the ratings because that's not what people want to hear.

You have to face it - we're sort of a rarity in the way we listen to music. Not saying that we're better or anything, just different. We're fans. We enjoy being challenged by music. Most other people just want something to listen to while they fix cars or play with their spreadsheets.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one or at least to some degree. I think you are under estimating the intelligence of those who listen to the radio. Sure there are some who like the obvious stuff but that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't welcome something different. Think of it this way. Do you really think people would notice or even care if a classic rock station played a deep cut every fourth or fifth song or even every third song? Suppose every once in a while they replaced "Black dog" with "the battle of evermore" or "roundabout" with "heart of the sunrise" every so often. Do you really think the station would get tons of angry phone calls from listeners? I seriously doubt it.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on this one or at least to some degree. I think you are under estimating the intelligence of those who listen to the radio. Sure there are some who like the obvious stuff but that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't welcome something different. Think of it this way. Do you really think people would notice or even care if a classic rock station played a deep cut every fourth or fifth song or even every third song? Suppose every once in a while they replaced "Black dog" with "the battle of evermore" or "roundabout" with "heart of the sunrise" every so often. Do you really think the station would get tons of angry phone calls from listeners? I seriously doubt it.
    I really think that they don't do this because their market studies indicate that it would not be welcome.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^Market schmarket.

I would love to see specific examples of these studies. I can almost see it now in my head: "Well, when I'm getting my nails done I'd really rather hear "hotel California" and "bohemian rhapsody" for the fifty millionth time than hear a really cool lesser known nugget by Yes, Pink Floyd or Jethro Tull."
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Mike, think about it: It's just common sense.

This isn't some vast conspiracy to deprive prog fans of the music that they love. Like most things in this world, it's about money, plain and simple. If a more exotic playlist would attract more listeners, don't you think a program director would go that way? These radio stations are run by big, big corporations, who don't care what music they play, so long as advertisers line up to pay for airtime. And advertisers want the biggest bang for their buck. Greater ratings = greater ad revenue.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Trust me. I have thought about it. Over and over and over and over again. Hey I'm not saying get rid of classic rock stations necessarily I'm just saying have some alternatives on the regular radio. Others on here agree with me. You don't but that's cool too. We all have our opinions. Listen, there are plenty of indie and college stations that don't play classic rock or the same rock songs over and over and they have lots of listeners. It's not just what's popular that will get listeners. Go check out wprb out of princeton NJ and tell me what classic rock songs you here there. Or even wxpn to some degree. These stations have found a niche. Deep tracks can be a niche too. Trust me the market is there.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 02-19-2014 at 09:53 PM.

[These radio stations are run by big, big corporations,]

Not all of them. Ever hear of independent radio? Public radio( NPR for example)? College radio?