Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: GOD, I Really Hate Classic Rock Radio !!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Why not listen to XM for the shorter rides too.
    I move my XM radio from the car to the house, back and forth. If I'm taking a short ride, I'm not gonna bother switching to the car. Now, when I finally have to buy a new car, then I won't have to worry about it. By the same token, I don't listen to sports/talk radio in my house, unless the power goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    The biggest problem in radio these days is the fact that the vast majority of stations are owned by a few large corporate conglomerates who dictate playlists. If you are an on air jock & you deviate... you're out the door. They don't care. It's not like the old days when the 2am - 6am guy would play all kinds of deep tracks from anybody & everyone... I did back in the day and had no problem getting away with it. Even during peak hours I'd still pull out a few gems. The listeners loved it & the times I was caught it was usually a little tap on the wrist or in several cases, those songs actually made it into rotation. Nowadays, I'd be looking for a job. Sad!!!
    CLEAR CHANNEL.

Blame the few remaining Program Directors who work for Clear Channel, Radio One, and Cumulus...these are the folks to blame for the lack of creativity when it comes to "Classic Rock Radio"...

There is so much more to Classic Rock then: Hotel California, Another Brick in the Wall, Stairway to Heaven, Tom Sawyer, Smells Like Teen Spirit, More than A Feeling, Freebird, Wheel In the Sky, I can't fight this feeling anymore, Renegade, Dream On, Cum on Feel the Noise, Heat of the Moment.... et al- I think you get my point...

The problem is, that Corporate Rock Radio has been stuck for the past 25 years in that if a station deviates and plays anything "Different" Gawd forbid, the crusty old 50+ years old who still LISTEN, will call in and say, "Why aren't you playing Freebird again".... Um HELLO- Lynyrd Skynyrd recorded MUCH More then Freebird! Unfortunately it is stuff like this that turns off someone from ever buying any music from a band because this is ALL you hear on the radio....because I think that some people would be afraid that other tracks or songs will sound so much similar to the tracks that Corporate Radio has run into the ground, leading to people being bored with the music.

It limits a newer generation unfortunately, because younger people are hearing on the radio what their parents heard, and what THEIR parents heard, and it's kind of sad when young folks only know two songs by an iconic band, when that specific band may have released music over a 40+ year time span .....
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    So does this mean you don't like YES, ELP, Jethro TUll and Pink Floyd and to a lesser extent Genesis and Rush who are all considered classic rock now too?
    When was the last time you even HEARD a classic Genesis track on the radio. Corporate Radio does not play Genesis.

I remember when "Calling All Stations" was released back in 1997, I heard the track "Congo" once on WEBN here in Cincinnati and never again. The last time WEBN played Genesis on the air besides that time? Can't recall, and I have lived in Cincinnati since 1988....

If it is a Clear Channel station, they definitely will not play Genesis.. now if it's radio one or Cumulus... maybe- but don't get your hopes up for anything exciting because 9 times out of 10 it will be "Follow You, Follow Me"... and that's about it.

And the only tracks you will hear by Rush on Corporate Radio are Working Man and Tom Sawyer... and maybe *occasionally* Red Barchetta....
    Bryan B.
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post
    And the only tracks you will hear by Rush on Corporate Radio are Working Man and Tom Sawyer... and maybe *occasionally* Red Barchetta....
    "Working Man"? "Red Barchetta"? I wish! More like Limelight and Spirit Of Radio.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    When was the last time you even HEARD a classic Genesis track on the radio. Corporate Radio does not play Genesis.

I remember when "Calling All Stations" was released back in 1997, I heard the track "Congo" once on WEBN here in Cincinnati and never again. The last time WEBN played Genesis on the air besides that time? Can't recall, and I have lived in Cincinnati since 1988....

If it is a Clear Channel station, they definitely will not play Genesis.. now if it's radio one or Cumulus... maybe- but don't get your hopes up for anything exciting because 9 times out of 10 it will be "Follow You, Follow Me"... and that's about it.

I agree for the most part with the premise of the thread-that the classic rock radio of today is very bad, especially when compared to the awesome world of internet radio-commercial free for the most part and endless in variety and some real high quality choices for the listener.

I have limited FM rock choices, the NY based Q104, which is Clear Channel, and my local station, WDHA, which is quite different, they are owned by Greater Media.

I have a love/hate relationship with DHA-in some ways they are really good, for instance at 10 am this morning they played The Anarchist by Rush. Not bad.

My problem with them is they totally ignore any new progressive rock bands, their attitude is they have no idea groups like Porcupine Tree or any of the longtime household names we adore around here even exist.

Instead they play a lot of this homogenized style of new rock: Alterbridge, Theory of a Deadman, Fuel, Linkin Park, Stone Sour, Nickleback, Buckcherry, Blackstone Cherry,Halestorm, Sponge, Saliva etc, etc.- all bands that to me sound exactly the same-boring and predictable, bad vocals on multi tracks, muddy production and annoying bass tones.

On the other hand, looking at their playlist this AM, the rest of their stuff is a better vintage of classic rock, much better then Clear Channel and Q104 in general....
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    "Working Man"? "Red Barchetta"? I wish! More like Limelight and Spirit Of Radio.
    Maybe where you are...but I hear these quite frequently here in Cincinnati. I guess you could add Limelight and Spirit of Radio as well. These are the only 4 tracks that I hear by Rush on Corporate radio.
    Bryan B.
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts

Banned
    I have two classic rock stations where I live(95.5 KLOS and The Sound), and they play all the Genesis hits. Plus, KLOS slips in Squonk during their Rock And Roll A-Z program.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    My problem with them is they totally ignore any new progressive rock bands, their attitude is they have no idea groups like Porcupine Tree or any of the longtime household names we adore around here even exist.
    A DJ by the name of Jim Ladd used to Waiting Phase 1, Every Home Is Wired, and Blackest Eyes on his show. I say used to, because he is no longer on the station that I listen to. That's how I discovered Porcupine Tree.

Well, you can blame Clear Channel all you want but they wouldn't be programming the same 45 song playlist crap all over the country if the idiots we all went to high school with weren't listening to it and supporting the advertisers. The audience is equally to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, you can blame Clear Channel all you want but they wouldn't be programming the same 45 song playlist crap all over the country if the idiots we all went to high school with weren't listening to it and supporting the advertisers. The audience is equally to blame.
    Exactly. I'm sure they've done massive market studies which reveal exactly what to play, as well as when and how often to play it.

Like anything else, if it didn't work, they wouldn't be doing it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I
    I have a love/hate relationship with DHA-in some ways they are really good, for instance at 10 am this morning they played The Anarchist by Rush. Not bad.

Instead they play a lot of this homogenized style of new rock: Alterbridge, Theory of a Deadman, Fuel, Linkin Park, Stone Sour, Nickleback, Buckcherry, Blackstone Cherry,Halestorm, Sponge, Saliva etc, etc.- all bands that to me sound exactly the same-boring and predictable, bad vocals on multi tracks, muddy production and annoying bass tones.

On the other hand, looking at their playlist this AM, the rest of their stuff is a better vintage of classic rock, much better then Clear Channel and Q104 in general....
    I might agree with some of those, but Black Stone Cherry and especially Alter Bridge are a step up from the average. In regards to vocals, in my opinion Myles Kennedy (vocalist for Alter Bridge) is the best 30 something vocalist out there today. I saw him with Slash last year and he has amazing range. He was also the vocalist who Led Zeppelin auditioned when they were thinking of touring without Robert Plant a few years ago. I have all of Altar Bridges albums and think they are great. Black Stone Cherry is really good too. Modern southern rock at it's finest IMO.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I might agree with some of those, but Black Stone Cherry and especially Alter Bridge are a step up from the average. In regards to vocals, in my opinion Myles Kennedy (vocalist for Alter Bridge) is the best 30 something vocalist out there today. I saw him with Slash last year and he has amazing range. He was also the vocalist who Led Zeppelin auditioned when they were thinking of touring without Robert Plant a few years ago. I have all of Altar Bridges albums and think they are great. Black Stone Cherry is really good too. Modern southern rock at it's finest IMO.

Steve Sly
    I really agree about Black Stone Cherry. I got their CD, Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea, based on a glowing review on Sea Of Tranquility. I first thought that were some stupid modern rock band(like Nickelback). From the SOT review, I got that they had the Southern rock/classic rock spirit. Plus, that CD has a killer version of Can't You See.

It's ok to hate yourself,let it out brother.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Modry Effekt View Post
    It's ok to hate yourself,let it out brother.
    WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Did someone have a gun to your head forcing you to read his post?
    Well if he hadn't read it he wouldn't have been able to comment, subsequently neither would you and neither would I. You've created a perpetual paradox.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Well if he hadn't read it he wouldn't have been able to comment, subsequently neither would you and neither would I. You've created a perpetual paradox.
    Wasn't '80s banned?

There is no such musical genre as 'classic rock' in the same way as there are no such genres as good music, bad music, nostalgic music, new music or old music. Very personal subjective classifications of that type are not musical genres.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Wasn't '80s banned?
    No idea, but I liked your paradox

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    No idea, but I liked your paradox
    Huh? What?

Sorry, I'm getting people mixed up, that was JKL.

Now, when I think 'Classic' , I don't automatically think "Popular' . They're turning the whole genre into 'Pop Music' for the clueless.

Classic :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyT_2vV1jEw

: but not popular.

during the summer, my dept at work helps out in another department where classic rock radio is played all day long. There's a few songs I still like, but mostly it's what I call 'songs I hoped I would never hear again.'

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

Steve Sly
    So perhaps you like WDHA better then I do?

Actually I would be curious to see any reactions to the daily playlists ?

As I said, The Anarchist? How many FM stations are playing that track these days?

Also, maybe I have my Cherry bands crossed up, and Buckcherry is the slog and Black Stone is the $hit? I'll have to check Blackstone out now, since I do like Southern rock.

The rest of those new rock bands are awful, when I hear them, my belly feels Stone Sour, if I get my Nickleback, I'd use it to buy a Sponge, to wipe up all the nasty Saliva.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

For the most part, I stopped listening to the radio by the mid '70s. That said, I've recently been listening to some classic rock stations in my car because I keep forgetting to switch out the CDs I have in there and I get tired of the same ones. I only listen to the classic rock stations because I can't stand 90% of contemporary pop (and there are no real jazz stations in my area anymore). At least on classic rock radio I can hear some crunchy guitars, instrumental solos and real drums. But I admit, after about a half hour, I usually turn the radio off, because I'm so burned out on the same old same old. I never liked half of those tunes in the first place.

I'll never forget what I once heard a classic rock DJ say on air: "And remember, it doesn't have to be good to be a classic!"

So perhaps you like WDHA better then I do?

Actually I would be curious to see any reactions to the daily playlists ?

As I said, The Anarchist? How many FM stations are playing that track these days?

Also, maybe I have my Cherry bands crossed up, and Buckcherry is the slog and Black Stone is the $hit? I'll have to check Blackstone out now, since I do like Southern rock.

The rest of those new rock bands are awful, when I hear them, my belly feels Stone Sour, if I get my Nickleback, I'd use it to buy a Sponge, to wipe up all the nasty Saliva.
    I would be willing to bet that later this week, that a good portion of those "105 recently played songs" are spun again.
    Bryan B.
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts