Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tull 50th anniversary tour

Tull 50th anniversary tour

Going to see Ian and the current line-up on June 10th. I wasn't actually able to glean much in the way of tidbits about this one, except that it is the 50th anniversary tour, and though Ian isn't really into birthdays or anniversaries, he also didn't want to be a party pooper, hence the tour. I imagine they'll play a variety since it's an anniversary tour. Anyone have any insights? My hopes:

1. That they'll play at least some of 'Thick as a Brick'
    2. They'll play some good acoustic stuff ie 'Mother Goose'
    3. That they DONT play 'Locomotive Breath' or 'Bungle in the Jungle', although there I'm counting on a miracle.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Good luck with Locomotive Breath!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Good luck with Locomotive Breath!

Definitely won't hold my (locomotive) breath on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    How's Anderson's voice these days? A few years ago he sounded awful. If it's no better one of my hopes would be bringing on someone to handle the vocals.
    A good question. I enjoyed his performance with the orchestra and electric guitar I watched on YouTube recently, but have no idea how recent that was. Although one of the ladies I'm going with said one of the other band members will be doing some vocals.

How's Anderson's voice these days? A few years ago he sounded awful. If it's no better one of my hopes would be bringing on someone to handle the vocals.
    David Goodier is helping out with a lot of "harmonies" and some leads as well. And then there are all the video vocals too. So Ian is singing probably about 50-60% of the total vocals. I'm guessing this is far less stressful on his throat because he seems to sound better than he has in a long time. Not good, but better.

If it was up to me I would hire a full-time lead vocalist in addition to Goodier and get rid of the videos. But sadly Ian doesn't ask my opinion on these issues, so it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Going to see Ian and the current line-up on June 10th. I wasn't actually able to glean much in the way of tidbits about this one, except that it is the 50th anniversary tour, and though Ian isn't really into birthdays or anniversaries, he also didn't want to be a party pooper, hence the tour. I imagine they'll play a variety since it's an anniversary tour. Anyone have any insights? My hopes:

3. That they DONT play 'Locomotive Breath' or 'Bungle in the Jungle', although there I'm counting on a miracle.
    You will almost certainly get some of TAAB, although whether it's just the opening section or the more common ten minute version, I don't know. You will definitely get Locomotive Breath. Highly doubtful on Mother Goose or Bungle.

Really, really bad, I'm sorry to say, from recent videos. Like watching a drowning man gasp for breath. Not to be a downer on poor Bill who is going to see him soon! Perhaps he plays more flute these days.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You will almost certainly get some of TAAB, although whether it's just the opening section or the more common ten minute version, I don't know. You will definitely get Locomotive Breath. Highly doubtful on Mother Goose or Bungle.

Really, really bad, I'm sorry to say, from recent videos. Like watching a drowning man gasp for breath. Not to be a downer on poor Bill who is going to see him soon! Perhaps he plays more flute these days.

On his performance with the orchestra, he did a lot of instrumental music-his flute playing was in fine form-including the best version of 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' imaginable. Did a few more acoustic based songs, such as 'Wondering Aloud' and 'Mother Goose'-his guitar playing is also top notch. The voice wasn't the same, but that was probably a few years back when it wasn't too bad yet.

On his performance with the orchestra, he did a lot of instrumental music-his flute playing was in fine form-including the best version of 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' imaginable. Did a few more acoustic based songs, such as 'Wondering Aloud' and 'Mother Goose'-his guitar playing is also top notch. The voice wasn't the same, but that was probably a few years back when it wasn't too bad yet.
    I'm unclear on which release this was of Ian with an orchestra. I see there's one from 2004, but I know he did the string quartet thing more recently.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm unclear on which release this was of Ian with an orchestra. I see there's one from 2004, but I know he did the string quartet thing more recently.
    I was going to say 2004 was just recently, but now that I think about it... what happened to the last 14 years???
    But that must have been the one, as it was with an orchestra. Dang, he looked like he was getting on in years then! Although he was very energetic. I would imagine as a crowd, we'll be very forgiving of the imperfections brought on by aging. I know I will be just happy they came to the PNW.

I'm putting the Ian Anderson tour in the same category as the Phil Collins tour (see thread). I'll keep my $$ and my memories of old.

I saw Anderson within the last two years (don't remember exactly how long ago it was) when he was doing the Jethro Tull rock opera tour. His voice was in pretty bad shape. He had additional lead vocals by other people on a video screen, which I would have much preferred to have live. His flute playing was as strong as ever and the band were all good. I think these are the same guys that are currently being billed as Jethro Tull (the band). I came to the conclusion that was probably the last time I would see him / them. I saw Martin Barre and his band last fall and enjoyed it more.

But at his prime, he was fookin' incredible:

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Going to see Ian and the current line-up on June 10th. I wasn't actually able to glean much in the way of tidbits about this one, except that it is the 50th anniversary tour, and though Ian isn't really into birthdays or anniversaries...
    You are of the opinion that he isn't into anniversaries? Have you ever checked to see how many Jethro Tull box sets, reissues and tours that have been branded for a particular anniversary? I would say that there are few in all of the entertainment industry who are more enthusiastic about anniversaries than Ian Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    But at his prime, he was fookin' incredible:
    Absolutely. One of my favourite vocalists ever. Like, way near the top. It's funny that he is most well known for his flute playing, but it's actually his singing and acoustic guitar playing that I am most drawn to.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You are of the opinion that he isn't into anniversaries? Have you ever checked to see how many Jethro Tull box sets, reissues and tours that have been branded for a particular anniversary? I would say that there are few in all of the entertainment industry who are more enthusiastic about anniversaries than Ian Anderson.
    I think Bill was quoting Ian. You may be right, but I think the label(s) have to be taken into account too.

I saw Tull during both the Songs from Wood and Stormwatch tours -- it's been downhill since, except for nostalgia. Crest of a Knave tour was quite entertaining, but more for Fairport Convention's involvement, and Dave Pegg being onstage for both the Fairport and Tull sets. Listening to Anderson now is painful and embarrassing. The last tours I enjoyed was the "Rubbing Elbows" tour back in 2002 (intimate, small venues, all acoustic, no strenuous singing) and the Orchestral tour in '04 (nearly all instrumental). Everything beyond that is cringe-worthy as he gasps and struggles to hit notes in the old hits. A 50th anniversary concert is senseless without the involvement of any of the bandmates from the 70s or 80s. I'd pay to see Barlow, Dave Pegg and Barre all onstage.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I saw Tull during both the Songs from Wood and Stormwatch tours -- it's been downhill since, except for nostalgia. Crest of a Knave tour was quite entertaining, but more for Fairport Convention's involvement, and Dave Pegg being onstage for both the Fairport and Tull sets.
    Agreed - I remember that tour. I think they did the same for the subsequent tour (1988), too.

I saw Jethro Tull a few times since then, but IMO those two tours were the last time I was really impressed with what I was seeing.

Are there 30th, 35th, 40th & 45th anniversary boxed sets that I missed? I have the 20th & 25th anniversary-specific sets. Please enlighten me with specific details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Are there 30th, 35th, 40th & 45th anniversary boxed sets that I missed? I have the 20th & 25th anniversary-specific sets. Please enlighten me with specific details.
    Yes, those are the two box sets. You read the read of the post, or just stopped there?

I'm going to the same show, Bill.

Ian's voice is not what it used to be, but musically it will be fine.

You can find the entire set list on line if you really want to know what he's playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I'm going to the same show, Bill.

Ian's voice is not what it used to be, but musically it will be fine.

You can find the entire set list on line if you really want to know what he's playing.
    Perhaps I'll run into you, though I never seem to even in the smaller venues. Though I understand you're playing at SeaProg this year, so perhaps there!

'Doesn't like anniversaries' is indeed funny. I guess someone didn't like them when I saw them on their '40th anniversary' either. That was an OK show, before the video screens of women singing and all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Doesn't like anniversaries' is indeed funny. I guess someone didn't like them when I saw them on their '40th anniversary' either. That was an OK show, before the video screens of women singing and all that stuff.
    I believe Ian said he wasn't really into birthdays and anniversaries, not that he was opposed to them. Since he said he didn't want to be a party pooper either, he probably didn't want to be one then either.

^The 40th one, he actually had a lot of the ex-members and celebrity guests making cameos throughout the UK tour. Except the show I went to, of course, which had some local folk group.

Things have changed since then. So here is where we are now:

^^^ It's nice that John Evans was willing to do that. I saw another clip from this recent tour where Steve Harris from Iron Maiden introduces the Passion Play medley.