Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 125 of 125

Thread: Tull 50th anniversary tour

  1. #101
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    I don't know who the younger singer with him is, but he does a great job.
    That's Ryan O'Donnell, who augmented the band on the Thick as a Brick 2 and Homo Erraticus tours. He's exactly what the band needed. Not only did he take some of the vocal load off Ian, who simply can't hack it anymore, but he also added the element of stage presence and theatricality that everyone is complaining is missing from the current band. He made great use of a simple stick as a prop, using it to mimic Ian's flute playing, holding it like a swagger stick during the march section of "Thick as a Brick," and so on. His voice suited the material very well without sounding like imitation Ian. He was a real asset to the latter-day Tull, and it's a shame he wasn't kept on.

  2. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's Ryan O'Donnell, who augmented the band on the Thick as a Brick 2 and Homo Erraticus tours. He's exactly what the band needed. Not only did he take some of the vocal load off Ian, who simply can't hack it anymore, but he also added the element of stage presence and theatricality that everyone is complaining is missing from the current band. He made great use of a simple stick as a prop, using it to mimic Ian's flute playing, holding it like a swagger stick during the march section of "Thick as a Brick," and so on. His voice suited the material very well without sounding like imitation Ian. He was a real asset to the latter-day Tull, and it's a shame he wasn't kept on.
    This. He was an excellent addition and brought a lot to the show on both those tours - vocally and as a stage presence. His absence is a big negative.

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Here's a 2015 video of Tull with a guest singer. I think this arrangement of the vocal duties sounds pretty good.



    I don't know who the younger singer with him is, but he does a great job.

    Splitting the vocals in an intelligent way can add a lot of character to the performance, especially with theatrical music such as Tull's. The Who never had issues splitting vocals when the music called for it.
    The best version of any Tull classic live that I've heard from Ian & Co for about 15 years. Why Ian felt the need to fire O'Donnell is a real head-scratcher. And, probably due to the vocals, the whole band actually seems like they're having fun up there. A rarity these days for Tull.

  4. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,349
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    The best version of any Tull classic live that I've heard from Ian & Co for about 15 years. Why Ian felt the need to fire O'Donnell is a real head-scratcher. And, probably due to the vocals, the whole band actually seems like they're having fun up there. A rarity these days for Tull.
    So what is the story behind O'Donnell? When I saw the Jethro Tull Rock Opera thing a while back they had O'Donnell singing on a big screen, but he did not appear live. It was rather odd and really did not work that well IMO, but his filmed singing was used during the production. I never saw Anderson / Tull with O'Donnell live, but from the Isle Of Wright performance it sure seems like that worked quite well.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    Yikes, the more I hear, the more I'm thinking about dumping my tickets. I'm usually not one to overly criticize the effects of aging on a singers voice, but he could have at least dropped the key a bit.
    I don't think it would matter. It's not so much that Anderson's range - never particularly wide even in his heyday - is bad (it is), it's that he has no strength in his voice, which began after the Under Wraps tour, as I understand it. Even if he could actually make the notes, there's so little strength behind them that I don't think it would make things that much better.

    With all due respect for the years of great music and terrific performances he's given and that I've experienced, I do think he really needs to stop singing. But I say it with respect.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

  6. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    288
    Naturally anyone would be better than what's left of Ian's tattered voice but Ryan didn't do it for me, his theatricality came through in a very strong way, made them sound like they were on Broadway when he sang. For me the only Ian soundalike worth a damn is Paul Forrest, forget the mannerisms and affectations the dude sounds like a young Ian, can be heard in the somewhat awkward clip above (notice Ian paying Paul no mind as he slinks off the stage).

    https://youtu.be/dFDUC87pmh4

  7. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Naturally anyone would be better than what's left of Ian's tattered voice but Ryan didn't do it for me, his theatricality came through in a very strong way, made them sound like they were on Broadway when he sang. For me the only Ian soundalike worth a damn is Paul Forrest, forget the mannerisms and affectations the dude sounds like a young Ian, can be heard in the somewhat awkward clip above (notice Ian paying Paul no mind as he slinks off the stage).

    https://youtu.be/dFDUC87pmh4
    Being a mimic or sound alike isn’t the point to me. Handling the role that is vocalist with Ian doesn’t require a mimic, but someone who gets it which Ryan did, IMO. To each their own.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    Being a mimic or sound alike isn’t the point to me. Handling the role that is vocalist with Ian doesn’t require a mimic
    Thank you. Why people think we need mimics is beyond me.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  9. #109
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,325
    I am surprised that Ian let Mr. Forrest anywhere close to the stage. Never again, I'm sure... That guy really nailed the Stand Up/Benefit-era Anderson vocal.

    One thing that performance made me notice: Anderson's voice had already changed somewhat from Benefit to Aqualung and TAAB. He no longer had that deep, buttery resonance in his voice. Whether that was simply an artistic choice or a product of the ciggies who knows but it is noticeable.

  10. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Thank you. Why people think we need mimics is beyond me.
    Of course, why would anyone want a singer who sounds like Ian Anderson singing Ian Anderson songs? Forrest sounds like mid-70's Ian, Ryan didn't, that's enough for me (and pretty much every band ever who needed a replacement singer, too).

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Of course, why would anyone want a singer who sounds like Ian Anderson singing Ian Anderson songs? Forrest sounds like mid-70's Ian, Ryan didn't, that's enough for me (and pretty much every band ever who needed a replacement singer, too).
    You mean Tull shouldn't hire a Filipino karaoke singer like Journey did?
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    You mean Tull shouldn't hire a Filipino karaoke singer like Journey did?
    And his ethnicity matters why?
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Of course, why would anyone want a singer who sounds like Ian Anderson singing Ian Anderson songs? Forrest sounds like mid-70's Ian, Ryan didn't, that's enough for me (and pretty much every band ever who needed a replacement singer, too).
    Well, I can only speak for myself why I wouldn't want a singer who sounds like IA singing his songs. Because he's NOT IA. That's precisely why I don't like the idea of the Jon Anderson clones who, Yes seems to continually embrace. I know why they do it. I just don't find a mimic appealing. I think there are many singers who can do the songs justice while still bringing something unique and distinguishing to the table. When I saw ZPZ with their FZ impressionist, I found that to be the only disappointing part of an otherwise incredible show. It seemed silly and needless.

    There have been many instances of bands hiring new singers who weren't clones and did quite well. Black Sabbath is one. Deep Purple is another.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    And his ethnicity matters why?
    Actually, not at all. I just recall they hired a karaoke singer from the Philippines.

  15. #115
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, I can only speak for myself why I wouldn't want a singer who sounds like IA singing his songs. Because he's NOT IA. That's precisely why I don't like the idea of the Jon Anderson clones who, Yes seems to continually embrace. I know why they do it. I just don't find a mimic appealing. I think there are many singers who can do the songs justice while still bringing something unique and distinguishing to the table. When I saw ZPZ with their FZ impressionist, I found that to be the only disappointing part of an otherwise incredible show. It seemed silly and needless.

    There have been many instances of bands hiring new singers who weren't clones and did quite well. Black Sabbath is one. Deep Purple is another.
    I'd argue that Jon Davison is hardly a Jon Anderson clone just because he has the same natural range, but I'm not expecting to change anyone's mind about that, so I'll just leave it there.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I'd argue that Jon Davison is hardly a Jon Anderson clone just because he has the same natural range, but I'm not expecting to change anyone's mind about that, so I'll just leave it there.
    Of course. And I'm certainly not trying to take anything away from his genuine talent. And, I suppose we can judge what he brings to the table by H&E release. I guess my point is that it seems, to me, that bands like Yes don't try to be very bold about who they choose. It seems like "someone who sounds like Jon" is the first consideration. In all honesty, I don't know who their candidates for vocals were in Jon's absence. But, each time, it seems they looked for a particular sound. I get it. I just think it's a missed opportunity to breathe some new life into the Yes legacy. You can say Trevor Rabin did that.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  17. #117
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,325
    ^^^ I think these days the bands are primarily touring units who play the classic hits. Probably most casual fans expect the hits to sound live as they do on the records. Thus the demand for the clones.

    30-40 years ago when the bands were still actively making new material that was getting airplay there was less need for the new singer to sound like the old guy. So we had Dio take over Sabbath as you pointed out, who sounded nothing like Ozzy. Phil Collins sounded just enough like Gabriel that he could credibly do the old stuff, but added his own thing as well. Sammy Hagar sounded only a little like Roth, etc. etc. But I'm not sure those would be good moves for any of those bands now.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ I think these days the bands are primarily touring units who play the classic hits. Probably most casual fans expect the hits to sound live as they do on the records. Thus the demand for the clones.
    Fuck the casual fans.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  19. #119
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,330
    These days I think Ian's voice is the best he has ever sounded in his entire career. Sorry, I meant pest.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  20. #120
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Fuck the casual fans.
    For better and worse, they still warm most of the seats at these shows...

  21. #121
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Of course. And I'm certainly not trying to take anything away from his genuine talent. And, I suppose we can judge what he brings to the table by H&E release. I guess my point is that it seems, to me, that bands like Yes don't try to be very bold about who they choose. It seems like "someone who sounds like Jon" is the first consideration. In all honesty, I don't know who their candidates for vocals were in Jon's absence. But, each time, it seems they looked for a particular sound. I get it. I just think it's a missed opportunity to breathe some new life into the Yes legacy. You can say Trevor Rabin did that.
    My point is that there is a difference between a mimic and someone who sings in the range of the original. In the case of Benoit, as much as I like FFH and enjoyed the show I saw with him, he was (IMO) definitely a mimic on stage and I imagine that also impacted his ability to continue on eventually. With Davison, whatever you think of his writing ability, he isn't a mimic (again, IMO). He's a pro who sings in a similar range as JA naturally which is different than when they had Benoit. I find his performances far more natural and enjoy them more because of that (I also feel he has more freedom to sound like himself than Benoit, but that is purely speculation from going to shows).

    We agree, though, about Tull/Ian. I felt Ryan had the right sound for many of their songs, though he was hardly a soundalike. To me, he added a lot because he could handle being on stage with Ian who certainly has a lot of presence and I imagine is pretty hard to share a stage with if you aren't known. I really enjoyed his contributions the two tours I saw him sing - particularly the TAAB2 tour. They don't need to have someone who sounds like Ian exactly as Ian is always going to sing at least a little (unfortunately), but they really do need someone up there for me to ever go again.

  22. #122
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ningbo, China
    Posts
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    The best version of any Tull classic live that I've heard from Ian & Co for about 15 years. Why Ian felt the need to fire O'Donnell is a real head-scratcher. And, probably due to the vocals, the whole band actually seems like they're having fun up there. A rarity these days for Tull.
    ...and yet compared to Tull in the prime (or even the early-mid 1990s, or that mater), it was still pretty awful...

  23. #123
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,019
    Ian was asked about his voice in a recent interview with Arts Fuse (http://artsfuse.org/187937/music-int...ll-in-america/)

    AF: The human voice is the most fragile of instruments, and many rock singers of the ’60s and ’70s have trouble replicating their earlier sound. How do you take care of your voice on tour and what accommodations have you had to make to continue to sing?

    Anderson: I damaged my vocal cords in 1984, just basically from overuse. Same thing happened to [Foreigner’s] Lou Gramm, who I think is the best rock singer ever. Mick Jagger doesn’t really sing, he just tosses it out; he always sang well within his range, but he doesn’t put stress on his vuoice. Some people just shout it out, like Bruce Springsteen. But I have tricky melodies to sing, and as I get older I have to work to do what I do. I have to practice every day to keep myself conditioned. I’ve had bronchial infections and now I take preventative medicines to avoid bacteria and viruses. I’m kind of holding my own at the moment. I’m in better shape now than I was four years ago.

  24. #124
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,330
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/mus...KVI/story.html

    I still love and admire this olde fossil
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

  25. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    The best version of any Tull classic live that I've heard from Ian & Co for about 15 years. Why Ian felt the need to fire O'Donnell is a real head-scratcher. l.
    Wasn't fired, he landed the lead role in the Kinks musical in London.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •