Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tull 50th anniversary tour

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I would have personally taken something from Roots to Branches over one of the 4 tracks from This Was
    Roots To Branches always had a great atmosphere live, I thought. I always enjoyed when they played it whenever I saw them. I never saw them do Rare And Precious Chain, but that would be a great pick as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Roots To Branches always had a great atmosphere live, I thought. I always enjoyed when they played it whenever I saw them. I never saw them do Rare And Precious Chain, but that would be a great pick as well.
    Yeah definitely, as would 'Stuck In The August Rain'.

Yeah definitely, as would 'Stuck In The August Rain'.
    Ugh, I've always hated that song. I've always thought Roots to Branches started out strong, but turned really drippy towards the end, mainly the last two songs and the smarmy vocal parts of "Wounded, Old & Treacherous."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Ugh, I've always hated that song. I've always thought Roots to Branches started out strong, but turned really drippy towards the end, mainly the last two songs and the smarmy vocal parts of "Wounded, Old & Treacherous."
    Love a lot of the more acoustic moody side of Tull. Love 'August Rain', love 'Mother Goose', 'Wondering Aloud', 'Alive and Well & Living In', etc...Not as much as things like 'Thick as a Brick' of course. Roots... was actually my favorite Tull album probably since A, which was probably my favorite since 'Heavy Horses'

Love a lot of the more acoustic moody side of Tull. ... love 'Mother Goose', 'Wondering Aloud', 'Alive and Well & Living In', etc...
    I certainly agree with all of those!

Last tour I saw Tull on, at Newcastle City Hall. One of the strongest line-ups the band had in its later years, and Anderson could still, just about, sing. I actually think Roots to Branches is a very strong album - Tull's best since Under Wraps, and I liked the growing influence of non-Western music on Anderson's songwriting. Certainly, it was a major step-up from the likes of the frankly godawful Rock Island and Catfish Rising.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Last tour I saw Tull on, at Newcastle City Hall. One of the strongest line-ups the band had in its later years, and Anderson could still, just about, sing. I actually think Roots to Branches is a very strong album - Tull's best since Under Wraps, and I liked the growing influence of non-Western music on Anderson's songwriting. Certainly, it was a major step-up from the likes of the frankly godawful Rock Island and Catfish Rising.
    I think Roots To Branches is the strongest Tull album since Heavy Horses.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I think Roots To Branches is the strongest Tull album since Heavy Horses.
    I agree that Roots is a very strong album and probably the last "good" Tull album. I thought having a badass session player like Steve Bailey on bass made it more interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I agree that Roots is a very strong album and probably the last "good" Tull album. I thought having a badass session player like Steve Bailey on bass made it more interesting too.
    Indeed! Rhythm section is much stronger on that album than on anything that Anderson has done since.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I totally concur with the Steve Bailey observation. Great bass on that album. But Pegg is an excellent player also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    My exact feelings about RTB. Great start, so so middle, meh ending. It's way down my Tull list.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    +1. In my top three.
    Definitely in my top 5 favorite JT albums. For years I avoided it for all the usual criticism it gets. I loved it in the first spin. For me it's far better than Stand Up.

Just for the hell of it, here's My Sunday Feeling, the concert opener from last night in Toronto. Make of it what you will...

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^^ For some contrast...

It's Metal Tull (almost.....). I hope Ian kept the Grammy. Well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ For some contrast...

Yeah, but no, I think I'll just keep the memories of seeing extraordinary Tull live shows from another era, rather than wincing every time he struggles, nearly lifting himself off his feet, to hit even the semblance of a higher note. Last time I saw him was Orchestral Tull, which was a more sensible venue for his music at this point.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ For some contrast...

Clive Bunker is the shit!!! (well, so is Glenn Cornick and Martin too!)

Bunker really kicks the living cream cheese out of those drums - what a crazy style he had!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Bunker was great. Barlow has said numerous times how much respect he has for his drumming, after having to learn the earlier songs.

I love the youthful energy of that lineup.

Bunker was great. Barlow has said numerous times how much respect he has for his drumming, after having to learn the earlier songs.

Yep, that Isle of Wight performance is the very definition of "piss and vinegar".
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Yep, that Isle of Wight performance is the very definition of "piss and vinegar".
    Yes and yes.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Just for the hell of it, here's My Sunday Feeling, the concert opener from last night in Toronto. Make of it what you will...
    I was at the show as well and it was okay. The first half was all the standard songs from the early albums that have been in the JT/IA setlists for the past 20 years - they were all competently played but not a lot of spark.

A couple of nice choices in the second half but IA's voice didn't really get any better than in this clip.

And the show is clearly designed for smaller venues than this so it was a bit lost on the size of stage at the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    I was at the show as well and it was okay. The first half was all the standard songs from the early albums that have been in the JT/IA setlists for the past 20 years - they were all competently played but not a lot of spark.
    You've nailed it there. It's the other thing (next to Ian's voice) that I notice in every one of these modern live clips (the one above is not mine, BTW, I haven't seen Tull since 2007.) The energy is so lacking. I don't expect them to be jumping around like young men, but this is so far removed from, say, fifteen years ago with guys like Barre, Perry, Giddings... there was an element of showmanship on the stage - indeed, as there always was in Tull - that just isn't there anymore.

Perhaps if I actually went to a recent show, I would see things differently. Who knows? Just calling it like I see it from here.

You've nailed it there. It's the other thing (next to Ian's voice) that I notice in every one of these modern live clips (the one above is not mine, BTW, I haven't seen Tull since 2007.) The energy is so lacking.
    Two people in our group at the Berkeley show were drummers*, and they were extremely critical of Scott Hammond's playing...although no one was sure if he's just naturally a boring drummer, or if it's because of the tight leash Ian has him on.

*The others were a guitarist, a flute player, and a chiropractor.

Tull's last album was the xmas album about 15 years ago. Ian should just tour under his name because the current lineup isn't Tull at all.