Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amorphous Jazz

Eddie Henderson’s ‘Sunburst’ and ‘Realizations ‘
    Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of Sony Music

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    You’re not looking at the whole list, just his “A” list.

The more thorough list is here but I believe it hasn’t been updated in years:

http://www.freeform.org/music/kozmigroov.html

Oh right!!

Thx Ken.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

My favourite jazz suite is Keith Jarrett's The Survivors Suite on ECM recorded in 1976. Just divided into Beginning and Conclusion across the two sides of the record, it's an amazing piece of writing - although, as to be expected with Jarrett, it's 100% acoustic and so doesn't have any of the fusion feel of the era. A little less structured is the live album Eyes of the Heart by the same quartet which sort of begins as a version of the Survivors Suite and then drifts off.

Matt.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    I also recommend Bennie Maupin's the Jewel in the Lotus.
    GREAT recommendation. I'm digging this immensely!
    • Bennie Maupin - reeds, glockenspiel
    • Herbie Hancock - piano, electric piano
    • Buster Williams - bass
    • Frederick Waits - drums, marimba
    • Billy Hart - drums
    • Bill Summers - percussion
    • Charles Sullivan - trumpet
    It has that gentle pastoral feel that I like so much. Some of the other pieces recommended (and on the Kozmigroov list) are just blowfest freakouts.

Not sure if it fits, but some of Mal Waldron's music, especially his 80s-90s output, might. I'm thinking the live album Crowd Scene which features two 25 minute plus pieces that start somewhere and go somewhere. The title track is probably my favorite of Waldron's longform songs.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.

You might like Wayne Shorter's Moto Grosso Feio from '74. Chick Corea on marimba, Dave Holland on guitar, Ron Carter on bass and cello. John McLaughlin on 12-string, Michelin Prell on drums.

https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Grosso-F...e+shorter+moto

Another excellent example I just ran across -- and it's not on the Kozmigroove list -- is this (volumes I & II):

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I don’t see why not. Thanks! Was not familiar with this.

Reminds me a bit of the Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane albums from the same period — more good examples.
    https://maisha.bandcamp.com/album/there-is-a-place

The new album from Maisha, especially the title track, is clearly influenced by the spiritual groove of Alice & Pharaoh - & John Coltrane's Africa (which they cover on their debut album).

GREAT recommendation. I'm digging this immensely!
    • Bennie Maupin - reeds, glockenspiel
    • Herbie Hancock - piano, electric piano
    • Buster Williams - bass
    • Frederick Waits - drums, marimba
    • Billy Hart - drums
    • Bill Summers - percussion
    • Charles Sullivan - trumpet
    It has that gentle pastoral feel that I like so much. Some of the other pieces recommended (and on the Kozmigroov list) are just blowfest freakouts.
    ECM are finally giving this a CD reissue, coming out mid-May. Not before time!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

another favorite...,

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

There's a 2-fer CD with Realization/Inside Out that's out of print now, but I'm sure you can find it at discogs. Or just listen to them on YT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    ECM are finally giving this a CD reissue, coming out mid-May. Not before time!
    It did come out on CD around 10 years ago, but in a really ugly cover. Hope they go back to the original this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It did come out on CD around 10 years ago, but in a really ugly cover. Hope they go back to the original this time.
    Yeah, it looks like they are going back to the classic art this time with Bennie in the middle of the lotus petals.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Yeah, it looks like they are going back to the classic art this time with Bennie in the middle of the lotus petals.
    iTunes has it for download right now. Hi-res coverart is available online.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    another favorite... Les McCann's "Invitation to Openness"
    See post #1

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Most of the 72 South Indian scales (perhaps a super set of the Greeks modes) would be considered modes, others map to Western Scales. Does that mean South Indian or Karnatic music is modal?
    Ya know, a couple months ago I ran across this. Combines the modal jazz of Miles Davis with the modal music of South India. The result, I thought, was surprisingly successful!

Banned
    ^^^

Yes, very nice indeed. Inispired by ehe Complete On the Corner Sessions which featured (electric) sitar and tabla. I'm a fan of "India-fusion" stuff.

^^^
    A favourite with me too. It also has the great, but reclusive, Pete Cosey playing on five tracks.

Ya know, a couple months ago I ran across this. Combines the modal jazz of Miles Davis with the modal music of South India. The result, I thought, was surprisingly successful!
    Big fan of that one.

I bought it from Laser's Edge on CD a few years back, and ended up getting the triple vinyl box a month or so later because it was so good. Still return to it.

plenty of great music proposed

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

There's a 2-fer CD with Realization/Inside Out that's out of print now, but I'm sure you can find it at discogs. Or just listen to them on YT.
    Yup, those amazon prices are amazingly stupendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Mmmhhh!!!... woudn't call the alternate cover ugly... The original wasn't much in line with the usual ECM artworks of those times... or ever since.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Thanks for the links to RubyRushton (in particular) & Collocutor - both of which I bought pretty much immediately having had a listen!

Nat Birchall is somewhat in this vein but I tend to hear his work as more along the lines of a Coltrane pastiche.
    No matter what anyone says, you are the decider of how you will listen to music.