Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Frustration of Discussing Prog Rock on the Message Boards

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    The fact that I probably would be able to answer these questions without Googling them worries me a bit. Could I be a geek after all ?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I think just about everyone posting on a site like Progressive Ears would have to be a geek. The reason we're here is that we have inquisitive minds about this stuff, and that generally leads toward geekdom.
    Geek sounds rather an odd word to use... I suppose all fans of something or other must be geeks then!!

Quote Originally Posted by noni View Post
    Geek sounds rather an odd word to use... I suppose all fans of something or other must be geeks then!!
    Itr depends on the nature of the fandom. If you like watching Monday night Football on TV, then maybe you're just an American football fan.

But if you can quote off the top of your head who won each Super Bowl, or you one of those guys who paints his entire body in the team colours and goes to the game that way, then you might be a geek.

There's people who like, let's say, Queen, but they have only a best of record, have no clue who the people in the band are (other than maybe Freddie), don't know who wrote which song, and never had an interesting in seeing either them live or a tribute act.

But if you own every album, saw Flash Gordon just because Queen did the music, know the names of the band members (even know not only what field Brian May's doctorate is in, but also know that he's Commander of The British Empire), own (or maybe even built yourself) a Red Special replica, sang along with every single frelling word of a Queen tribute show, then you might be a geek.

Same thing with TV. Someone who merely likes to watch Star Trek is just a fan. But someone who knows the titles of all the classic episodes (also the titles of the not so good ones), can tell you the plothole in Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan, you might be a geek. If you can speak Klingon, even just a little bit, you're definitely a geek.

If you've ever written fan fiction, you're a geek. Come to think of it, if you've ever read fan fiction, you're probably a geek too.

And so on.

Here is the geek hierarchy for future reference:

http://www.smofbabe.net/geekchart.pdf
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Here is the geek hierarchy for future reference:

http://www.smofbabe.net/geekchart.pdf
    LOL! I like the one "People who refer to a group of TV Show-based books as 'My Collection.'"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL! I like the one "People who refer to a group of TV Show-based books as 'My Collection.'"
    I liked "People who got married in Klingon garb", also that sci-fi/fantasy fans think they're less geeky than Heinlein fans, and that anime fans who insist on subtitles think anime fans who don't care about subtitles are geeky, and vice versa.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    "I disagree. This is more like the band Plink-Plonk rather than Plonk-Plink. Not to mention Arfcluuder Hkfruw, Yoq and the Uddersoo Zither Collective's third album, "Errrrrrrk!".

To me, this part is OK. If you're tuning out at this point, fine, I guess. But at least information is being given that some here can and do benefit from. I think that's exactly what the board is for.

Clearly you don't know the difference between music in G-minor clusterfarm drone and garbage."

I think with this you have a point. There's no need to call something garbage or insult a poster's taste. That is not productive, and does have a way of derailing threads. I don't think it's a rampant problem here, but there are some who can't seem to bring themselves to day "I don't like this, but I respect that you do." That is frustrating, but it's not unique to discussing Prog Rock.

Generally, I think the advice you got earlier in the thread was good. If you want the discussion to go in a certain direction, state that up front. And if things start to stray, try to gently steer it back on the course you want.

Bill
    usually, the "you clearly don't know..." means chances are the person making that comment is utterly clueless on what they are talking about...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I prefer to be called "symph weenie"
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I prefer to be called "symph weenie"
    I may be a geek but I am NOT a weenie, of any description.

And I agree with whoever made the comparison with sports fans. Demonstrate your awesome knowledge of your favourite team's past history and performances in a pub and you will be treated like a god and people will buy you pints and women will want have sex with you. Demonstrate your awesome knowledge of your favourite band's past history and performances in a pub and you will be treated like a leper and people will spill your pints and women will want have nothing to do with you.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I may be a geek but I am NOT a weenie, of any description.

And I agree with whoever made the comparison with sports fans. Demonstrate your awesome knowledge of your favourite team's past history and performances in a pub and you will be treated like a god and people will buy you pints and women will want have sex with you. Demonstrate your awesome knowledge of your favourite band's past history and performances in a pub and you will be treated like a leper and people will spill your pints and women will want have nothing to do with you.
    Really? Women as a class are impressed with expansive sports trivia knowledge?

A geek is a geek by any stripe, whether they dress up in a Klingon uniform or a Golden State Warriors uniform.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

connoisseur ?
    nerd ?
    Ekspert

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    usually, the "you clearly don't know..." means chances are the person making that comment is utterly clueless on what they are talking about...
    I find more often than not that they actually do know what they're talking about, but that they are incapable of expressing themselves in a civil way (or they're simply choosing to be dickheads, which is also often the case). But they are rarely clueless, and are often have a wealth of information. But they use that information and their language as a weapon to belittle others and derail threads. Again, this doesn't happen that much on PE, the mods do a great job of keeping this to a relative minimum. But it does happen, and is usually the root of the big arguments.

Many of the worst offenders (imo) have seemingly gone the way of the wind. Their knowledge is sometimes missed, but otherwise my feeling is good riddance to them.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Really? Women as a class are impressed with expansive sports trivia knowledge?
    Oh sure. I once picked up a gal because I knew who held the old Washington Senators errorless streak record. Boy was that a crazy wild night!

Yeah, somehow sports trivia, at least when it pertains to sports that popular in the given jurisdiction, is somehow regarded as being "different" than music/movie/TV/whatever trivia. At one of my old jobs, one of my co-workers was into history, cars, and antiques. The knowledge that both he and I knew was dismissed by our boss as "useless information".

Yet, I'd see my boss and his friends sit around the bar after working, talking about football and baseball, in exactly the same fashion. They'd talk about stuff that happened in whichever Super Bowl or World Series game. They knew off the top of their heads which year it was the Browns came within one game of the Super Bowl, they could tell you who the players were, where the point in the game where it "all went wrong", etc. They could tell you which years Tom Landry coached the Dallas Cowboys, Babe Ruth's batting average, who pitched a no hit game in whichever year, etc.

When I commented on this, my boss ays "Oh, well, ya know, sports is different. Besides, we're talking about the Super Bowl, of course we remember what happened in each one!".

But I'm not sure far you could carry that. As I said, I imagine it depends on jurisdiction. If I started spitting out info about real football, or rugby or cricket, I'd probably get the same "useless information" line.

On the other hand, I imagine there's people in England you can do the same thing with real football statistics. In fact, as I understand it, it's common for pubs over there to ban patrons from wearing sports jerseys on the premises, as it's been known to cause brawls to break out between rival team factions.

Banned

Good! I want to keep those kind of people the f**k away from me.

Its a money thing. Which judo or curling champ won most medals through history wins no hearts or beers.
    Music nerds attracted more pussy when the progbands in the 70'ties where loaded.

No. To me, a geek is someone whose life is dominated by whatever it is. A lot of people like many things but don't have an unfailing, relentless passion that forces them to continue going after whatever it is throughout their entire life.

For me, beyond my wife and cats (obviously, but not the same thing), and literature and film - both about which I am pretty passionate, but not nearly as much as music so I don't consider, for example, myself to be a movie geek...just a fan)- there's little that interests me in a significant way. Yeah, I keep up with politics (especially these days!), and with technology to the extent necessary to keep up and know where it's going), but have zero interest, for example, in watching/listening to sports of any kind ... and never have, beyond doing anything I need to do (more challenging these days) to keep reasonably fit and healthy.

No, geekdom, to me, really is about something for which you're so consistently invested that there'd be a massive hole in your life if it were to suddenly disappear.

At least, that's how I see it.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer