Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson interview

So maybe an EP this year and the full album next summer?

A little like Rush releasing ten minutes of music two years before Clockwork Mother Fuc**n' Angels was released two years later.

A "better ending" to Starship Trooper... hmmmmm....
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    A "better ending" to Starship Trooper... hmmmmm....
    That just means a 45 second Wakeman solo at the end.

Eight things I learned from this interview:

1. Many things are "great" and "amazing."
    2. Jon's "1000 Hands" will be released this summer.
    3. Jon'll be touring solo and doing the "Olias of Sunhillow" album live.
    4. There's an hour's worth of new ARW material, out perhaps by next summer.
    5. Rabin wants to include orchestra and choir in the new ARW/Yes material.
    6. Some of this new ARW music will be heard in their upcoming shows. (Intro music, I gather).
    7. He/They (ARW) are old, so they don't want to tour that much.
    8. Vangelis is not well these days (first I'd heard of it.)

As much as I love Jon he really isn't all there.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    8. Vangelis is not well these days (first I'd heard of it.)
    He isn't young (and is likely a bit too overweight for his age), but he doesn't seem to be on his deathbed: http://elsew.com/data/latest.htm
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    He isn't young (and is likely a bit too overweight for his age), but he doesn't seem to be on his deathbed: http://elsew.com/data/latest.htm
    Yes, I was aware of all of this. Vangelis has always been a large man. However, my sense was that this statement was Anderson's odd way of
    deflecting an uncomfortable topic; namely, how he scuttled their creative partnership by mucking about with and re-releasing an alternate
    version of Jon & Vangelis' Page of Life without the latter's participation or consent.

Yes, I was aware of all of this. Vangelis has always been a large man. However, my sense was that this statement was Anderson's odd way of
    deflecting an uncomfortable topic; namely, how he scuttled their creative partnership by mucking about with and re-releasing an alternate
    version of Jon & Vangelis' Page of Life without the latter's participation or consent.
    I understand what you're saying, makes sense (and I agree)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

From the interview...

You originally billed the band as Anderson Rabin Wakeman or ARW for short but then you added the YES name. Is this your way of staking your claim to the name?

I owned the name and Chris Squire and Alan White owned the name. His wife said that when Chris leaves us maybe we could use the name. We said that the year we got into the Hall of Fame we`d be out there as Yes in front on one million people around the world so why didn`t we use the name. We used the addition of featuring Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman to differentiate us from the other Yes.

Did you have any problems with the version of Yes featuring Steve Howe and Alan White?

They`ve been really cool about it. It`s never been a problem. I had a conversation with the other guys and just said to them to let people know who`s in the band as I keep getting phone calls about me playing somewhere but I`m not in your band, so please tell people who`s in the band so they don`t expect to see me.

...They have been "cool" about it...

I'm sure the team of lawyers on both sides would disagree.
    I'm feeling uneasy that JA would speak and act so cavalier regarding using the YES name as, I was led to believe, that SH & AW owned it AND the original Rodger Dean Yes logo.....Just keep calling it ARW and leave it at that.
    G.A.S -aholic

I didn't see anything about a solo tour doing Olias Live???

"We will however be putting out a live show that we did in Manchester last year which Trevor Rabin is producing and it sounds great and that will be our homage to Yes. We do songs from way, way back right through to the modern era of the band."

Right through Big Generator - the "modern era of the band."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I didn't see anything about a solo tour doing Olias Live???
    For 2018 is your main focus on the YES tour and album or do you have time to fit in any other projects?

I`ve been working on recordings of the great Yes music using midi files to produce Yes with some teenagers singing all of the songs. It sounds unbelievable. The purists won`t like it which is OK but this is to introduce Yes to young people of the 21st century with very cosmic sounds. I hear Chris`s bass every day as I`m doing some mixing at the moment. I think we`re going to call it 21st Century Yes and we`ll be doing visuals for it as well. We`ll probably release it on the internet on You Tube or something so people can just find it and watch it. Next year I`ll tour do a solo tour with a full orchestra and choir doing 1000 Hands and my `70`s solo album Olias Sunhillow. I`m working on half a dozen projects, so I`m keeping very busy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I`m working on half a dozen projects, so I`m keeping very busy.
    "Why, someday I might even finish one!"
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Thank You, Scott!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Why, someday I might even finish one!"
    I had this attitude for a long time, too, but he's been rather productive, lately. The Ponty project, Anderson/Stolt, ARW, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    For 2018 is your main focus on the YES tour and album or do you have time to fit in any other projects?

I`ve been working on recordings of the great Yes music using midi files to produce Yes with some teenagers singing all of the songs. It sounds unbelievable. The purists won`t like it which is OK but this is to introduce Yes to young people of the 21st century with very cosmic sounds. I hear Chris`s bass every day as I`m doing some mixing at the moment. I think we`re going to call it 21st Century Yes and we`ll be doing visuals for it as well. We`ll probably release it on the internet on You Tube or something so people can just find it and watch it. Next year I`ll tour do a solo tour with a full orchestra and choir doing 1000 Hands and my `70`s solo album Olias Sunhillow. I`m working on half a dozen projects, so I`m keeping very busy.
    Haha, don't hold your breath

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    When I read that I thought some of this will be new material for Henry's Anderson green highlighted section...

As always with Jon, most of this can't be taken seriously. Nonetheless, I think Rabin is an obsessive type-A kind of guy and will make sure the ARW music sees the light of day. If Rabin's contributions are more Jacaranda and less Owner, this could turn out to be some very good stuff... So I'm hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    As much as I love Jon he really isn't all there.
    And he used to be such a sensible lad.

Amazing the disdain for Jon Anderson. I thought it was a great interview with a lot of promise. If Howe or Downes or Sherwood or any of those guys do an interview, it's regarded as golden words of noble warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Don't have too. The owner of the Arcada Theater in St Charles (Chicago) already announced Jon Anderson is coming to the venue.

Also, Vangelis has been living in Paris for quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Amazing the disdain for Jon Anderson. I thought it was a great interview with a lot of promise. If Howe or Downes or Sherwood or any of those guys do an interview, it's regarded as golden words of noble warriors.

Don't have too. The owner of the Arcada Theater in St Charles (Chicago) already announced Jon Anderson is coming to the venue.
    One or two dates may happen but a full US tour with orchestra & choir? He's fantasising again.

I guess Olias Part 2 won't happen!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Howe, Downes and Sherwood don't have a reputation of over-promising and under-delivering.

Anderson's ambition often exceeds his grasp.