Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson interview

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Howe, Downes and Sherwood don't have a reputation of over-promising and under-delivering.
    But Sherwood definitely has a rep of being a whine ass !!!!

Howe, Downes and Sherwood don't have a reputation of over-promising and under-delivering.

Rose colored glasses....

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    But Sherwood definitely has a rep of being a whine ass !!!!
    Meh. Not really. He's pretty respected among musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post

Rose colored glasses....
    Remember that time Steve Howe promised an album for over 20 years and never delivered?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not on PE[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Not on PE[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Let's not pretend that he was treated well here.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Sherwood wasn't exactly "the best" on PE. Nor would I say all his projects are necessarily the stuff of timeless legend (I'm certainly not a big fan overall). Regardless...with few exceptions, what he promises, he delivers. So, his word on something has merit.

When it comes to keeping promises, delivering, not to mention quality of what he delivers: Anderson got no credibility left for me. None. The only reason I still have even a bit of interest in ARW is because of Rabin and the quality of his personal output. If he backs away, there's nothing there worth the waste of my time.

Others disagree, fair enough. If you're enjoying his output then that's certainly good enough.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Remember that time Steve Howe promised an album for over 20 years and never delivered?
    No, but I remember what he did deliver. And in the end, that's what matters to me as a music consumer.

No, but I remember what he did deliver. And in the end, that's what matters to me as a music consumer.
    I would argue that Howe's solo output is more consistent than Anderson's.

I would argue that Howe's solo output is more consistent than Anderson's.
    Good for him. The last thing I heard from Howe that was awesome was Turbulence. I don't really keep a database of quotes from interviews and hold musicians accountable for what they said. Some things are sugar-coated, spun in a certain favor, or the best of plans fall through. Nor do I read press releases and have a cow over spicy statements stating the band is "legendary" or "the definitive line-up". The only thing I judge them on is how good the concert was, or how good a new product they release is. I saw YES f/ARW and Jon Anderson sounded pretty darn amazing. I would see him solo on his next tour with or without orchestra. I found no reason to criticize that interview, I take it at face value. Like I did when prolific Mr. Howe & Cohorts talked up "Heaven & Earth".

Well, diff'rent strokes, I guess.

I really enjoy most of Howe's non-Homebrew releases. Anderson's releases have been all over the map, and the ARW show I saw was under-rehearsed and had a very boring setlist. I enjoyed it, for the nostalgia factor, and it was really great to see the three of them on stage together, but it was anything but "amazing" for me.

The owner of the Arcada Theater in St Charles (Chicago) already announced Jon Anderson is coming to the venue.
    Exciting! Do you have a link? Did he give any details, like when?

Thanks.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I really enjoy most of Howe's non-Homebrew releases. Anderson's releases have been all over the map, and the ARW show I saw was under-rehearsed and had a very boring setlist. I enjoyed it, for the nostalgia factor, and it was really great to see the three of them on stage together, but it was anything but "amazing" for me.
    The last good Anderson album I bought was Change We Must (1994). I also bought Toltec (1996) and the record store owner was nice enough to let me return it. I skipped The Promise Ring (1997) and Earth, Mother Earth (1997) and sadly bought The More You Know (1998). That was it for me - no more Anderson albums unless I listen to samples first, but he didn't make any more solo recordings until 2011, anyway.

Didn't ARW get much better after the first ten concerts?

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Exciting! Do you have a link? Did he give any details, like when?

Thanks.

Henry
    No he didn't. Ron just blurted it out when mentioning upcoming concerts from the stage. The Arcada doesn't list any concerts for the following year (2019) until much later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    The last good Anderson album I bought was Change We Must (1994). I also bought Toltec (1996) and the record store owner was nice enough to let me return it. I skipped The Promise Ring (1997) and Earth, Mother Earth (1997) and sadly bought The More You Know (1998). That was it for me - no more Anderson albums unless I listen to samples first, but he didn't make any more solo recordings until 2011, anyway.
    No, but he did the album with Roine Stolt, which I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Didn't ARW get much better after the first ten concerts?
    Even if they did, those who attended those first 10 shows paid as much as those who attended the later shows.

...and the ARW show I saw was under-rehearsed and had a very boring setlist. I enjoyed it, for the nostalgia factor, and it was really great to see the three of them on stage together, but it was anything but "amazing" for me.
    I said Anderson sounded amazing, I didn't say the concert was amazing. The last amazing YES concert I saw was the Full Circle Tour in 2003. The worst one I ever saw was Yes'O last summer at Yestival in Elgin. The press release promised so much though.

I take it at face value. Like I did when prolific Mr. Howe & Cohorts talked up "Heaven & Earth".
    didn't steve make some disparaging comments on heaven and earth pretty soon after its release? might be misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    didn't steve make some disparaging comments on heaven and earth pretty soon after its release? might be misremembering.
    I heard that he did too. But alas, it was too late, I already bought a copy...

Here's what Amazon says, "HEAVEN & EARTH is the first YES album featuring new singer Jon Davison along with bassist Chris Squire, guitarist Steve Howe, drummer Alan White, and keyboardist Geoff Downes and follows on the heels of the successful and acclaimed 2011 release, Fly From Here."

Successful & Acclaimed release, Fly From Here??? Holy crap, they must have the same PR team as ARW.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    If he didn't he should have. I've tried at least 5 times to get through that entire cd and have never made it. Yes there are some good moments, but overall the mood and tempo of that album puts me to sleep.
    I'm 70 and even for me it drags.. I kept thinking to myself, when is it going to kick in..
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Jon's epic piece "Open" from several years back was excellent, I thought - definitely my favourite thing he's done in at least the last fifteen years. It should be on a physical release! I did really enjoy seeing the show with him and Ponty though. The album however, I wasn't big on.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I heard that he did too. But alas, it was too late, I already bought a copy based on what the band said and all the media hype previous to release.

Here's what Amazon says, "HEAVEN & EARTH is the first YES album featuring new singer Jon Davison along with bassist Chris Squire, guitarist Steve Howe, drummer Alan White, and keyboardist Geoff Downes and follows on the heels of the successful and acclaimed 2011 release, Fly From Here."

Successful & Acclaimed release, Fly From Here??? Holy crap, they must have the same PR team as ARW.

If you seriously see equivalency between standard-issue PR "hype" and the absurd levels of hyperbole from ARW, then yeah: have fun.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I heard that he did too. But alas, it was too late, I already bought a copy based on what the band said and all the media hype previous to release.

This must be after they fired the press guy who wrote "Heaven And Earth is an okay album, the first one since the acceptable Fly From Here, which sold hundreds of copies."
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    If you seriously see equivalency between standard-issue PR "hype" and the absurd levels of hyperbole from ARW, then yeah: have fun.
    Wow. Yes, I do see 100% equivalency. I see it in everything everywhere in all advertising globally. YES'O, are not exempt from hyperbole, it all depends on how much you drink the cool aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Jon's epic piece "Open" from several years back was excellent, I thought - definitely my favourite thing he's done in at least the last fifteen years. It should be on a physical release! I did really enjoy seeing the show with him and Ponty though. The album however, I wasn't big on.
    Forgot about that one. Agreed - it's an excellent piece that needs a more traditional release.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    This must be after they fired the press guy who wrote "Heaven And Earth is an okay album, the first one since the acceptable Fly From Here, which sold hundreds of copies."

All the "Jon can do no wrong" enthusiasts don't acknowledge "The More You Know," which may be the worst solo product from a Yes-musician, ever.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    But... but... they are the Holy Trinity!