Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti Western Tributes and/or Cover Bands

Spaghetti Western Tributes and/or Cover Bands

In 1967 I was 13 years old. The year brought the complete Sergio Leone "Dollar's Trilogy" to American screens. Not only did I love the movies, I thought that the music scores were fantastic, but at 13 I didn't pursue who wrote that music, since I was grounded in The British Rock Wave and the growing psychedelic movement. Years later my friends got into the New Wave band Wall of Voodoo and convinced me to go to one of their shows. I loved them and became a fan. Their late guitarist Marc Mooreland was not only inventive, but he loved that twangy western electric guitar sound. They played an instrumental set which included the theme from The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, Hang 'Em High and The Ecstacy of Gold, also from TGTB&TU score. One of those old friends brought a live vinyl EP of WOV called The Morricone Themes. It included the first two of the previous mentioned themes, but not Ecstacy. Later we learned that Hang 'Em High was written by Dominic Frontieri. We now learned That it was Ennio Morricone who wrote those great scores. Those Leone movie scores were available easily in the U.S., but that was about it. Then one of my friends recorded on his VHS machine Sergio Sollima's The Big Gundown from TV. He was convinced that Morricone wrote the music for that score too. So we rolled back to the credits, and low and behold, yes, it was Morricone. We both loved this western music and we said, "There has to be more!" Then began a pursuit for information on the music of Morricone. Remember this was before the internet, so it was not easy obtaining info. Several phone calls led me to the late Don Trunick, who was the undisputed biggest collector of Morricone's scores in the world, and not just his western scores. He was very friendly and invited my friend and I to his home, which was only 20 miles away. We were amazed at what we saw, and learned that Morricone wrote over 20 scores for westerns. From the early 1980's to the early 1990's we visited him frequently. We not only leaned about Morricone, but also of many other Italian composers that we writing for westerns. Fast forward: I now own the music for every Morricone western score, and others by similar composers.

With the now legendary status of the westerns by Morricone and others, many tribute and cover bands have put out homages to this music. Some are excellent, some so so. Many do strictly covers, while others base their original music on the music genre. I now am pursuing these type of artists for new music compilations based the Spaghetti sound. I will always love these scores. Sorry for the long story, but I know there are lots of Morricone fans at this web site who may be able to point me to some other artists. I will list some of the artists that I think are great in this field. But I appreciate any feedback from those out there who can possibly enlighten me to more! Gracias amigo's!

Federale (Portland Oregon. Writes their own music. IMO these guys are the best!)

Mondo Sangue (Italy. Writes their own music)

Red Dead Redemption (Score to video game)

The Hellbenders (U.S. Surf band who changed their name for this one tribute. Covers and originals)

Spindrift (American folk/country band who music has a big Spaghetti influence)

Boot Hill Heroes (Score to video game)

Secret Ponchos (Score to video game)

Outlaws (Score to video game)

Lindi Ortega-Liberty (American folk/country artist who started to listen to Morricone westerns that highly influenced this album)

For A Few Guitars More (Compilation of various surf bands doing the Spaghetti thing. Some good, some bad and ugly!)

Happy Trails...
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I will assume you've heard The Big Gundown album by John Zorn.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I will assume you've heard The Big Gundown album by John Zorn.
    Yes, but I prefer music that is closer to those original scores. Good album, but not what I'm looking for.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Tune starts at around 1:24...

Yeah Dave, The Sadies also have a big Spaghetti influence.

Checked out Mondo Sangue and Federale. That's some good stuff, though I'd prefer no vocals or wordless vocals only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Checked out Mondo Sangue and Federale. That's some good stuff, though I'd prefer no vocals or wordless vocals only.
    Federale has 4 albums out, and the majority of their work is instrumental, many with wordless vocals by their only female ,member Maria Karlin. She's so good you could swear she was Morricone's singer Edda Del 'Orso. Check these out as I'm sure you will enjoy:

Great Dave, thanks! I'll check some of these out.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Great Dave, thanks! I'll check some of these out.
    There are a lot of ridiculously way-off suggestions that should elicit a chuckle or two.

ISorry for the long story,.
    "Long story"?! Have you ever read any of my posts?!

Anyway, I love the music in those Italian made westerns. That twangy guitar sort of bridges the gap between surf rock, spy movie music, and the Spaghetti westerns. I think the first time I knew who Ennio Morricone was, I was reading an article on, of all people, Steve Stevens, in Guitar Player (November 1984 issue, I believe, the one with David Gilmour on the cover). He was detailing some of the guitar tones he got on the first two Billy Idol albums, and compared the guitar riff in White Wedding to both Morricone and Marco Perrone, the guitarist with Adam And The Ants (which, if you dig "new wave" bands that have that twangy guitar thing going, you should check them out).

I don't know of any "tribute" acts like the kind you're talking about, but I always liked Hugo Montengro's rendering of the theme from The Good The Bad And The Ugly. In fact, I prefer it to the version that actually appears in the movie.

Something I learned recently is, though the so called Spaghetti Westerns were largely made by Italians (ie directors, producers, music composers, and much of the support cast), for some reason, they were actually filmed in Spain. There's one town where most of the classics of the genre were shot. It's still there, it's mostly a tourist trap now, but when any filmmaker or whatever decides they need to pay homage to Leone and his contemporaries, that's where they go. A few years ago, there was a Doctor Who episode shot there, for that very reason.

So my question is, why did they shoot in Spain? Was the town already there, and was more suitable for doing a "western" than anything location they could find in Italy, or was there some sort of tax break or government funding available by shooting in Spain (perhaps similar to the way the Canadians provided funding for movies that were made in Canada?) or what?

Spain? One of the reasons was cost. It was cheaper to use and employ workers from Spain in production. But the main reason was that the majority of Italian Westerns required desert locations. The only real desert in Europe is in the Almeria region in southern Spain. And those old western sets? More than one. Four have been turned into tourist spots. Here's some good info on them:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ets-Spain.html

Here's a fun tribute of sorts to that type of western theme: When Men Were Men and the Sheep Were Scared by Strangers 1800 (really the band Deadbolt). The EP came out in 1995 and contained six cuts: Rawhide; Hang 'em High; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; Bonanza; Ghost Riders; and Strangers Theme. It's typical Deadbolt minimalism with lyrics that you know were not in the original numbers. Cool sound effects, too, of gunshots, cowboys shouting, and cattle mooing.

Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

But the main reason was that the majority of Italian Westerns required desert locations. The only real desert in Europe is in the Almeria region in southern Spain. And those old western sets? More than one. Four have been turned into tourist spots. Here's some good info on them:
    So basically, my guess that there was no suitable locations in Italy (or, apparently, anywhere else in Europe) would be correct, then .

And yeah, it's the Almeria province I'm thinking of. I just know a lot of that stuff is still there, even though the "Spaghetti Western" era ended decades ago.

Sort of spaghetti, new wavish instrumental music from the 80's.
    The Raybeats - It's Only A Movie
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Or Hank Marvin ( Of The Shadows ) - Apache or some of his covers of Morricone tunes.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Sort of spaghetti, new wavish instrumental music from the 80's.
    The Raybeats - It's Only A Movie
    In the very early days of MTV, one of the videos they used to play was The Raybeats cover of Link Wray's Jack The Ripper. That was just about the first time I had heard anything like. Talk about intense music. The only other thing I've really heard from them was a track that Guitar Player used on one of their Soundpages, called The Sad Little Caper. It seems like they're albums are really hard to come by. I guess there's only a couple, but I've always wanted to hear more from them.

Dollaro d’Onore (great band)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    In the very early days of MTV, one of the videos they used to play was The Raybeats cover of Link Wray's Jack The Ripper. That was just about the first time I had heard anything like. Talk about intense music. The only other thing I've really heard from them was a track that Guitar Player used on one of their Soundpages, called The Sad Little Caper. It seems like they're albums are really hard to come by. I guess there's only a couple, but I've always wanted to hear more from them.
    A guy I worked with in the early 80's clued me in to them. I just have "It's only a movie' on vinyl from back then. Way out of print I guess, used prices are kind of high.

Big Guitars From Texas ‎– Trash, Twang And Thunder is another that has some E. Morricone written and inspired cuts. Denny Freeman, Don Leady, Evan Johns, Frankie Camaro on guitars.
    -- Aristotle

Not Spaghetti

https://mondosangue.bandcamp.com/tra...est-louverture

Mondo Sangue,
    German Duo who wrote a soundtrack to a fictive Spaghetti Western (No Place For A man) all the Morricone cliche lines you want to have and quite fun if you like the genre, Italian lyrics included. For a few spaghettis more

a3304899727_10.jpg
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I stand corrected on this ^^^. I thought this group was Italian.

RIP Dallas Good of The Sadies.
    https://www.torontomike.com/2022/02/...od-dead-at-48/

"So get your rest
    because there is no promise of another breath.
    And I say farewell.
    It’s over now as far as I can tell."
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 02-18-2022 at 01:33 PM.