Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norway’s PIXIE NINJA Plays ProgDay 2018!

Norway’s PIXIE NINJA Plays ProgDay 2018!

Norway’s PIXIE NINJA Plays ProgDay 2018!

PIXIE NINJA is the creation of two individuals with a huge appetite for Scandinavian progressive music - Jostein Haugen and Marius Leirånes. Playing together in various projects since 2008, they began to work on Ultrasound, PIXIE NINJA’s debut album, in 2015. Marius and Jostein played guitar, bass and keyboards. The album was produced by Mattias Olsson (Necromonkey, Änglagård), who was also responsible for drums, percussion and other instruments. What emerged was an eclectic mix of heavy ambient, electronica and symphonic rock, all rendered with a strong cinematic feel.

When Ultrasound was released in 2017, Marius and Jostein never intended to perform the material live. However, they later received so many requests for live shows, that they decided to make it happen. In February, 2018, Marius and Jostein asked Mattias Olsson to join the band on drums and Fredrik Klingwall to be the band’s new keyboard maestro. They met up at Roth-Händle Studios in May and started rehearsing for live shows.

ProgDay is happy to host Pixie Ninja for its first performance in the U.S.!

Join PIXIE NINJA and SOFTEN THE GLARE for the twenty-fourth edition of ProgDay. ProgDay is a two day outdoor festival of progressive rock. ProgDay 2018 will take place on Saturday and Sunday, September 1st and 2nd, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. For more information, please visit us at www.progday.net.

To hear music from this year’s bands, please visit the ProgDay Music page (http://www.progday.net/ProgDay-Music.html).

Thanks.

Michael

yay! Mattias at progday!!!

Nothing but joy on this announcement
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I am so there. Save me a seat, Bob.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Yay, Progday!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I had never heard them until now. Listening!

You can also hear them on their bandcamp page
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I had never heard them until now. Listening!

You can also hear them on their bandcamp page
    what he said. since i'm almost thru my first listen i can add "enjoying"

I had never heard them until now.
    If I'm not entirely mistaken, that red artwork is by the same person who designed the classy black/grey cover of Walrus' only release so far (and furthermore I think possibly the Weserbergland too). Also featuring Olsson, of course - in hyper-motorik mekanik klinik-estetik.

Apollon Records are quickly becoming a significant label in Norwegian allthings 'prog'; krautish, folky, sympho-lympho, post-pentecost-rock, even that kinda avant that we vant (like Suburban Savages and recently Panzerpappa). Apollon, fwiw, emanates from -THE- most legendary record shop in Bergen (named, er, Apollon), run for 35+ years by one Engelen ('The Angel') and before that by Frode Svanevik (R.I.P.), owner of Garage, -THE- most legendary rock club here. I knew both pretty well back in the day and even had my then-keyboardist sell Svanevik a whole briefcase of homegrown grass in 1993; money later spent on buying a Prophet-5 for his stack of equipment. Great times.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So this is the new ProgDay "What band in Matthias playing in? BOOK THEM!" policy? He's fast becoming the new house band, not that I'm complaining, love his stuff. Congrats on the signing.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Cool! I have the CD in the car, must give it another listen.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So this is the new ProgDay "What band in Matthias playing in? BOOK THEM!" policy? He's fast becoming the new house band, not that I'm complaining, love his stuff. Congrats on the signing.
    Ian, I think you're confusing Mattias with someone else. He's only played ProgDay once. That was with Necromonkey, and that was 4 years ago in 2014.

G'Mornin' Folks ~

I'm tempted to listen to a sample... but want to refrain. Feeling a strong 'suprise me' attitude this morning!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post
    Ian, I think you're confusing Mattias with someone else. He's only played ProgDay once. That was with Necromonkey, and that was 4 years ago in 2014.
    I am often mistaken
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

He's got a few appearances to go before he'll catch up with the other "Matt" (Parmenter), seeing as Discipline was almost literally the PD house band for the first several years

All joking aside...any reason to bring over a Mattias project is a very good reason for me
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I love Mattias! I kinda like his musical projects as well.

I guess I'll have to bring a little more .
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Steve's so old and mellow that he even loves people who put out the music he doesn't like!

Don't forget to give me a big hug, Geeze!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

When I listened to a couple of their songs, I immediately thought, "the Geez is going to be a popular guy during their set." Seriously....That's what I thought.

"Infamy, is the cloak I wear, a deep shade of green is always there"

Props to Scott Walker & his bro.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I think that Mattias is a Gin drinker!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

I may well wander over at some stage.
    Ian

Can I get a seat by Lou?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I may well wander over at some stage.
    Oh, you and I know you will, Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Can I get a seat by Lou?
    It's easy if you want to sit in the blazing sun, lil bro'. Big bro' will be in the shade w/Firth (& hopefully Josef!).

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I think that Mattias is a Gin drinker!!
    You mean you're only allowed one consciousness altering substance? I can understand "at a time", but Mattias and I have met before, David.

I fuckin love everything Mattias does, well musically at least. This is VERY cool stuff - me diggs.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Steve's so old and mellow that he even loves people who put out the music he doesn't like!
    Don't forget to give me a big hug, Geeze!
    This falls into the category of geriatric delayed reaction, SF.

While I am looking forward to seeing your shining countenance once again and do intend to seek you out for a sincere man hug, I realized that since I own the complete Anglagard catalog as well as a Necromonkey cd, I must like the music Mattias puts out, whether I like it or not.