Thread: Coming soon: The Pineapple Thief-Dissolusion

Coming soon: The Pineapple Thief-Dissolusion

The new KSCOPE on-line news letter has announced the next Pineapple Thief album Dissolusion, again with Gavin Harrison. I've been a big fan for years now. I believe this STILL highly underrated British prog band is one of the best in the genre today. The only thing sad for me is that it seems they will never do an American tour. Otherwise I highly anticipate another stellar release from Bruce Soord and his band!

http://www.kscopemusic.com/artists/thepineapplethief/
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Thanks for posting. I’m looking forward to it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    The new KSCOPE on-line news letter has announced the next Pineapple Thief album Dissolusion, again with Gavin Harrison. I've been a big fan for years now. I believe this STILL highly underrated British prog band is one of the best in the genre today. The only thing sad for me is that it seems they will never do an American tour. Otherwise I highly anticipate another stellar release from Bruce Soord and his band!

http://www.kscopemusic.com/artists/thepineapplethief/
    I am a fan. Got to see Bruce Soord solo at Progtoberfest, and the band back when they played NEARfest. Other than festivals, the chances of seeing them on this side of the pond is pretty slim.

I've given this band a try and I'm often hardpressed to hear the "progressive" in their sound. Is it the composition? The themes? Production? I'm not sure. For me it just sounds like downtempo and depressing pop music.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Thanks! This is great; they are an autobuy for me. I also got to see Bruce Soord at Progtoberfest and was lucky to be at the same hotel with him and his wife and have a chance to chat with them. Besides just the fact that I love their music, they also hold a very sentimental spot for me as I spam-listened to "Someone Here is Missing" for months while going through a very tough time.

Hmmm, something to look forward too.
    I have liked their last few albums.
    Prior to that I just had '3000 days' a really nice best of.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I've given this band a try and I'm often hardpressed to hear the "progressive" in their sound. Is it the composition? The themes? Production? I'm not sure. For me it just sounds like downtempo and depressing pop music.

What defines progressive?
    And to what degree? Certainly there are no intricate drum rhythms. I'd called them Alternative prog. Or psychedelic space prog. Or progressive pop. They are all of these things. The lyrics are usually melancholy, depressed and/or psychotic. The compositions can be simple, or an expanded well orchestrated effort. The arrangements are often interwoven and inventive. The keyboards, including mellotron, also give their sound a symphonic edge. And the writing by leader/guitarist Bruce Soord is IMO, brilliant. And now that drummer Gavin Harrison has joined the fold, I expect the new album will push the prog in progressive a bit more. For all of those reasons, I would most definitely call The Pineapple Thief progressive rock.

Jon Neudorf
    I would as well.

Jon

Looking forwards to it! Wilderness was a damn fine album, maybe their best.

Last album was my favorite, so I'm looking forward to the next one.

And they're "progressive" like Porcupine Tree was progressive.

I tried to like them, I had a couple of their albums back in the Cyclops days but all too dreary PT/SW copyists I'm afraid. I wish I could enjoy them but I don't. I don't hear anything Prog in their music using any interpretations of the word either.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post

Totally how I feel about them, assuming how it was meant to sound.

Unlike a lot of bands The Pineapple Thief are unpredictable. They never sit on their laurels. It would be so easy now to write a Your Wilderness part 2 and capitalise on their past success. But I wouldn't be surprised if this new release is anything but the same. And that is the only similarities I see to PT/SW

Bands on the Kscope label like The Pineapple Thief or Gazpacho are good but the problem is that they are always repeated. They should innovate their sound

Quote Originally Posted by tonissive View Post
    Bands on the Kscope label like The Pineapple Thief or Gazpacho are good but the problem is that they are always repeated. They should innovate their sound
    That sounds like modern "prog" in a nutshell to me. All the same. I think the whole genre is in a loop right now

Agreed. I don't care what you call it. I'm buying it.

I'm in. I've gotten the last few Pineapple Thief albums and thoroughly enjoyed them.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think the comments about the lack of overt prog style in their earlier material have some substance to them, and the band have probably been tagged as prog because of Bruce Soord's former band Vulgar Unicorn which was on the GFT Cyclops label.

The last few albums have seen Soord focussing more on songs rather than longer workouts, but Your Wilderness definitely moved more in an unconventional direction, perhaps as a result of Gavin Harrison coming on board?

Interestingly, that was a pretty short album - and so's the new one, barely scraping in over 40 minutes - but that's what kept my interest because it seemed to end too soon and the more I repeated play the more I got out of it.

Given that Harrison is now embedded in the line-up, and familiar with more of the back catalogue having played it live, I think the new album will be their most interesting yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    I think the comments about the lack of overt prog style in their earlier material have some substance to them, and the band have probably been tagged as prog because of Bruce Soord's former band Vulgar Unicorn which was on the GFT Cyclops label.

The last few albums have seen Soord focussing more on songs rather than longer workouts, but Your Wilderness definitely moved more in an unconventional direction, perhaps as a result of Gavin Harrison coming on board?

Interestingly, that was a pretty short album - and so's the new one, barely scraping in over 40 minutes - but that's what kept my interest because it seemed to end too soon and the more I repeated play the more I got out of it.

Given that Harrison is now embedded in the line-up, and familiar with more of the back catalogue having played it live, I think the new album will be their most interesting yet.
    40 minutes is the standard length of LPs. I'd rather have 40 minutes of strong material than a 75 minute CD with some strong material and a lot of filler.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The only album I listen to with any consistency is Someone Here Is Missing. I had 3000 Days, Tightly Unwound and All The Wars. Meh. I don't care that they don't sound 'prog' as long as I like the music. Like I said, I like at least one album anyway. I agree that they sound the same album to album and it's all rather maudlin.

I tried a few of their early albums and only enjoyed a few tracks on each. I thought 3000 Days had most of their best tracks from that period although I thought all the long songs followed the same compositional technique: a long instrumental section repeating the same chord progression over and over with every instrument coming in one after the other until all the instruments played together in the climax.
    I kind of stopped following the band after that.
    I tried Your Wilderness based on the hype surrounding its release and thinking Harrison could maybe push the band to another level but was left underwhelmed to say the least.

40 minutes is the standard length of LPs. I'd rather have 40 minutes of strong material than a 75 minute CD with some strong material and a lot of filler.
    Agree, I would rather have 40 great minutes than 60 minutes with filler.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, I would rather have 40 great minutes than 60 minutes with filler.
    Their last album was LP-length as well and there was NO filler.

Watched the live DVD released with Harrison the other day for the first time since it was released. It didn’t grab me the first time. Feeling rather grabbed this time around. Will definitely check out the new album.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Many here on PE don't understand that Gavin Harrison was invited to the recording sessions for "Your Wilderness," and had absolutely no input on the songs themselves. However he is now, like King Crimson, part of the fold, and has been there for the creation of "Dissolution" from the get-go, so I'm anticipating more of his influence into the new songs structures, I hope. After all with Gavin behind the drum kit, how can you go wrong? I remember first seeing Porcupine Tree in concert 2005, and turning to my friend who was with me and saying 'Wow, this drummer reminds me of Bruford. He could easily be in King Crimson.' Little did I know that I was seeing into the future.