Thread: 3.2 the rules have changed (Emerson and Berry)

3.2 the rules have changed (Emerson and Berry)

surprised this hasn't been mentioned here. available for preorder now apparently this was in the early stages before Emerson's death and Robert berry has decided to finish it up.

too bad that it seems carl palmer is not involved in any way but if it is anywhere near pilgrimage to a point than I am in. and maybe the last chance to hear new emerson material though I guess the jury is out on how much was actually worked up fully before he died.

Robert also mentioned on facebook if the sales are good enough there has been some interest in touring behind it with a more prog based show so go out and grab it for a measely 12 bucks on amazon or there is the ubiquitous Japanese edition with bonus track.
    Last edited by gojikranz; 05-22-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    surprised this hasn't been mentioned here. available for preorder now apparently this was in the early stages before Emerson's death and Robert berry has decided to finish it up.

too bad that it seems carl palmer is not involved in any way but if it is anywhere near pilgrimage to a point than I am in. and maybe the last chance to hear new emerson material though I guess the jury is out on how much was actually worked up fully before he died.

Robert also mentioned on facebook if the sales are good enough there has been some interest in touring behind it with a more prog based show so go out and grab it for a measely 12 bucks on amazon or there is the ubiquitous Japanese edition with bonus track.
    Can you please post a link, I can't find out anything about it other than a live show in 1988?

On the Carl Palmer thing, I have to say I was greatly disappointed when I saw an ad for the release of 2 live shows of the Carl Palmer band called The Carl Palmer Legacy DVD and CD.
    I checked on Youtube and there are no vocals or keyboards(except for some pre-recorded stuff).. hugely disappointed. No I'm not into jazz instrumental interpretations of ELP music thank you... I"m out!!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

someone with greater forum skills than I posted some more details in another thread.

I enjoy Carl's solo show but it would be really cool to see him team up with Robert and take this on tour but his noninvolvement with the studio album seems to make that less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    On the Carl Palmer thing, I have to say I was greatly disappointed when I saw an ad for the release of 2 live shows of the Carl Palmer band called The Carl Palmer Legacy DVD and CD.
    I checked on Youtube and there are no vocals or keyboards(except for some pre-recorded stuff).. hugely disappointed. No I'm not into jazz instrumental interpretations of ELP music thank you... I"m out!!
    Jazz interpretation? I wouldn't describe it like that. It is surprisingly faithful, yet also brings something original to the music. Definitely worth a listen.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post
    Jazz interpretation? I wouldn't describe it like that. It is surprisingly faithful, yet also brings something original to the music. Definitely worth a listen.
    I guess that's a bit of an exaggeration on my part. When I saw the announcement of the DVD/CD release for 2 shows of Carl Palmer ELP legacy, I checked out some of the videos on YT, and I found one excerpt where the song was, well, jazzed up a bit. I've since looked for the clip to post it and I can't find it now.
    Part of my problem is I'm a traditionalist, and if I'm going to a Carl Palmer concert advertised as ELP legacy music, I'd like to hear actual keyboards(not guitars) and vocals. Because to me that is how I like to listen to ELP.
    Nothing wrong if other's like it, but to me the videos seemed like Carl Palmer on Drums(loudest) as the main focus and the guitar and bass were secondary.
    And after awhile the whole bit sounded like loud noise to me(given this is YouTube) I will knock off 25points for that.

And in the end, it's my personal preference, but I was excited by the news of 2 live shows of ELP music and terribly let down by what I heard.

I do HOPE the Tribute DVD finally finds the light of day, because I thought the trailer for the DVD was EXCELLENT!!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I love Emerson, but didn't care for the 3 album, except 'On My Way Home' I think it was called, that an awesome Emerson-esque instrumental section. Trouble for me is I'm not into Berry's style of vocals. I didn't like the vocals much on the Keith Emerson Band album either, and Keith's writing didn't quite have the magic for me that early ELP albums had. Will always greatly love 'Tank', 'The Three Fates', 'Tarkus', 'The Endless Enigma/Fugue', the entire Karn Evil 9 suite (esp. part 2-the jazzy instrumental: wow!), and 'Pirates', which seems to be the swan song of that great era.

PS: There is another thread about this album with more details

http://radi.al/TheRulesHaveChanged

http://bravewords.com/news/robert-be...rack-streaming

"The working relationship between Emerson and Berry began in 1987 when former YES manager Brian Lane and YES member Carl Palmer arranged a meeting between the two prolific musicians."

WTF?
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    http://radi.al/TheRulesHaveChanged

http://bravewords.com/news/robert-be...rack-streaming

"The working relationship between Emerson and Berry began in 1987 when former YES manager Brian Lane and YES member Carl Palmer arranged a meeting between the two prolific musicians."

WTF?
    guess that answers the mystery of who is gonna be the drummer backing up alan white on the upcoming yes tour

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post

Didn't know about it until today. Not sure if this is a high priority for me given that Emerson (obviously) and Palmer aren't on it. I may get this at some point, but I consider this more of a tribute than anything else.

I'd be more interested in the demos for 3 and what might have come after.

Can you please post a link, I can't find out anything about it other than a live show in 1988?

None of that bothered me in the least. I've seen them about 8 or 9 times over the last 10 or so years.

Best of both worlds for me. If I want to listen to Keith, I listen to Keith, and if I want to here fresh interpretations on amazing songs that band is keeping them alive. (I don't like the Legacy name though and wish they'd write some new stuff.)

I wish Carl was involved with 3.2 (it would make it feel less as a straight tribute to me) but I'll still probably end up with this at some point.

I've heard the 3.2 album in its entirety now and it's much better than I was expecting.

Will post a full review later.

Here's a full review of the album (*contains spoilers*).

It's (mostly) a fantastic recording. http://www.realgonerocks.com/2018/07...-have-changed/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Found a download of the Japanese edition - anyone know if there are any differences between that and the US/UK editions?

I have to agree with Top Cat. For me personally, the vocals and the keys are the main attraction of ELP. Nothing against Carl dong what he's doing, but my guitarist lent me a DVD and it just wasn't for me. Great bass player though.

Here's the other thread BTW - http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...=emerson+berry

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake root View Post
    I've heard the 3.2 album in its entirety now and it's much better than I was expecting.

Will post a full review later.
    Certainly different and agree, not what I was expecting... There are some great moments on this album... A must to any Keith Emerson fan and having in their collection.

The album is a Crossover/Symphonic album IMO

Gave this 6.5/10 on first listen

It'll be getting a few more spins from me over the next few weeks, even though my review work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Found a download of the Japanese edition - anyone know if there are any differences between that and the US/UK editions?
    There's a bonus track (and it' was released this week in Japan).

I have had my Japanese copy for nearly a week now and I am very impressed. Standout tracks for me are One By One, The Rules Have Changed, What You're Dreaming Now, Your Mark On The World. If you are on the fence you should go for it. Robert Berry did an amazing job.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Ordered

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like the way Berry has gotten some "vintage sounding" 80s keyboard sounds that Emerson used - like what he used on Black Moon. They might rub some the wrong way, but they have a nice nostalgic feel in a way IMO, and it gives the album a more "authentic" sound.

Agreed! I'm honestly amazed how much like Emerson some of the keyboard parts and flourishes sound. It's like Berry is channeling the spirit. I like this album a lot. It's also made me appreciate how talented Robert Berry is. As others have stated in related threads, this doesn't sound like one guy overlaying a lot of tracks. If I hadn't been told otherwise, I would have thought that this was indeed a multi-person band.

Some of the songs are quite impressive and a few could easily belong on the original 3 album. I wonder how close to finished Keith's concepts and fragments were before his passing.

I guess that's a bit of an exaggeration on my part. When I saw the announcement of the DVD/CD release for 2 shows of Carl Palmer ELP legacy, I checked out some of the videos on YT, and I found one excerpt where the song was, well, jazzed up a bit. I've since looked for the clip to post it and I can't find it now.
    Part of my problem is I'm a traditionalist, and if I'm going to a Carl Palmer concert advertised as ELP legacy music, I'd like to hear actual keyboards(not guitars) and vocals. Because to me that is how I like to listen to ELP.
    Nothing wrong if other's like it, but to me the videos seemed like Carl Palmer on Drums(loudest) as the main focus and the guitar and bass were secondary.
    And after awhile the whole bit sounded like loud noise to me(given this is YouTube) I will knock off 25points for that.

And in the end, it's my personal preference, but I was excited by the news of 2 live shows of ELP music and terribly let down by what I heard.

I do HOPE the Tribute DVD finally finds the light of day, because I thought the trailer for the DVD was EXCELLENT!!
    Having seen Carl and his two incredible young protégés twice, I urge you to give those performances a chance. Yes, most of us feel that ELP music “needs” keyboards and vocals, but the energy and sheer bombastic joy of those shows is amazing.

Calling his players a “guitarist” and a bassist is like calling Keith Emerson a “piano player.” You have no idea what these two young men can do until you see 7 or 8 pieces. They are stunning musicians and they bring something new and exciting to ELP’s music. I wish I had 1% of their skill.

Seek out more and better videos and give them a second chance.

I'm on my 3rd listen to this album and I'm just gonna say it, I'm really impressed. Didn't much care for the first 3 album ("Desde la Vida" aside) and I didn't really have high hopes for what was essentially a Robert Berry solo album, but I think this is really good. The 80's AOR bombast is still here but the tunes are much more sophisticated and powerful. The tunes are mostly in the 5-8 minute range but they have a lot of different sections, they never quite go in the direction you think they're gonna go. Also you really can detect Emerson's influence on this one. Which is funny to me because he's basically faceless on To the Power of Three, despite actually appearing on that record. Berry not only can imitate his style but he throws in a lot of callbacks to his earlier work. Kinda hurts to say this but it almost seems too good to be Emerson, given how his hand issues hindered him in his later years. It actually makes me want to check out Berry's other material, not something I ever saw myself saying
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

This has become one of my standout favorites for 2018.
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015