Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: ROSfest relocates to Sarasota Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    The only one I'm interested in is Cryptic Vision, I enjoyed their first album. Didn't know they are a hometown band from Sarasota.
    Really had hoped for some of the big prog bands like IQ, Arena, Fish or Dave Kerzner Band.
    Even tho it's only an hour drive from here, I'm disappointed in the line up. But at least we have tickets for Kansas.
    You really are a Top Cat, Top Cat! Haha. Thanks. I offered to play ROSfest here in my home state of Florida which would have been pretty easy but they didn't take me up on it! I actually even offered my new band In Continuum with Marco Minnemann on drums (not as local though and costs more to do) and they didn't go for that either so... oh well. Guess they know best! We did just play ProgStock and I have to say that festival is really gaining momentum and they are notoriously accommodating to the artists who play there. I've played it twice in a row and both times were so enjoyable. That said, I played ROSfest a few years back and it was a really special show (in fact, I'm wrapping up a Blu-Ray of it in surround next month). Generally speaking I am very supportive of all Progressive Rock festivals and appreciate that people take chances on what you could perhaps call an underdog genre. I wish George well with the move and maybe I'll be there at some point again since it's so close to me (I live in Miami). I'll wait for the invite! We go where we're appreciated the most.

To that end, I will be playing my fourth Cruise To The Edge in a row and they really do take full advantage of what me and my musician friends like Fernando Perdomo and many others can do since we're all there together. To me, what makes a festival unique is when the artists guest in each other's sets or collaborate on some kind of one off tribute like we did for Pink Floyd and the year before paying tribute to Greg Lake. It wouldn't be feasible to fly in artists from Yes, Genesis, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree etc. just to pop on stage for a song or two but since they're there the night before or on the boat all it takes is some talking and willingness to do it without much if any rehearsal. The musicians are all some of the best around at these festivals so they're usually up for it. Portnoy and Morse have done this on the cruise as well and we've done a bit of that even at ProgStock this year and last year (this year with Michael Sadler and Joe Deninzon and last year with Francis Dunnery and Peter Jones!). Anyway, I'm big on that sort of thing and when festivals get the value of it and allow that to happen I think it's good for everyone (whether it's me or someone else who likes to MD that sort of spontaneous collab).

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    You really are a Top Cat, Top Cat! Haha. Thanks. I offered to play ROSfest here in my home state of Florida which would have been pretty easy but they didn't take me up on it! I actually even offered my new band In Continuum with Marco Minnemann on drums (not as local though and costs more to do) and they didn't go for that either so... oh well. Guess they know best! We did just play ProgStock and I have to say that festival is really gaining momentum and they are notoriously accommodating to the artists who play there. I've played it twice in a row and both times were so enjoyable. That said, I played ROSfest a few years back and it was a really special show (in fact, I'm wrapping up a Blu-Ray of it in surround next month). Generally speaking I am very supportive of all Progressive Rock festivals and appreciate that people take chances on what you could perhaps call an underdog genre. I wish George well with the move and maybe I'll be there at some point again since it's so close to me (I live in Miami). I'll wait for the invite! We go where we're appreciated the most.

To that end, I will be playing my fourth Cruise To The Edge in a row and they really do take full advantage of what me and my musician friends like Fernando Perdomo and many others can do since we're all there together. To me, what makes a festival unique is when the artists guest in each other's sets or collaborate on some kind of one off tribute like we did for Pink Floyd and the year before paying tribute to Greg Lake. It wouldn't be feasible to fly in artists from Yes, Genesis, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree etc. just to pop on stage for a song or two but since they're there the night before or on the boat all it takes is some talking and willingness to do it without much if any rehearsal. The musicians are all some of the best around at these festivals so they're usually up for it. Portnoy and Morse have done this on the cruise as well and we've done a bit of that even at ProgStock this year and last year (this year with Michael Sadler and Joe Deninzon and last year with Francis Dunnery and Peter Jones!). Anyway, I'm big on that sort of thing and when festivals get the value of it and allow that to happen I think it's good for everyone (whether it's me or someone else who likes to MD that sort of spontaneous collab).

Very well said and I agree on those collaborations which really make festivals unique in every way! I hope you get a chance to play there next year.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    How friggin' cool would it be if they could get Peter Gabriel to do a solo piano show on CTTE, and he could also guest with Dave Kerzner and whoever else. Hackett! I think Gabriel would be able to do a solo show like that, and it could be as amazing as Steve Hogarth's solo shows.

Well, just dreaming now...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How friggin' cool would it be if they could get Peter Gabriel to do a solo piano show on CTTE, and he could also guest with Dave Kerzner and whoever else. Hackett! I think Gabriel would be able to do a solo show like that, and it could be as amazing as Steve Hogarth's solo shows.

Well, just dreaming now...
    It's fun to dream isn't it? Haha. You know, I toured with L. Shankar on Gabriel's WOMAD festival in '93 and used to play stuff from The Lamb in hotel pianos hoping Pete would stop by and do a double take... "wait a sec, is that? And the laaaaaammmmmmb" but unfortunately that didn't happen. I was almost the keyboard player in his band, though, but that's another "fish that got away" story. Not as interesting as the story of how I got the actual FISH to be on Cruise To The Edge! So, perhaps he will sit in and we can do something with Squids, Fish and Hackett. Squishackett! (the funny thing is I'm serious... not the band name but about mixing it up and having some fun with these guys on stage!). I also helped Adrian Belew get on CTTE as well. We were opening for him in LA and I told him how great it is and how awesome it would be if he were on it so... a little connecting of the dots and now he's back again for a second one! I do this kind of stuff behind the scenes. Just to let you know, I tried to get Tony Banks to do a show (but got "no reply at all" from him through my friend Nick Davis, Genesis' producer/engineer, who is how I pitch TB besides his tech Geoff who is also a friend) and a "hmmm maybe" from Mike Rutherford and his band (The Mechanics) when they were here in Miami about to do an 80's Cruise. Anto Drennan, M&TM's guitarist who I befriended when they were here (he was the touring guitarist for the CAS tour and a big prog fan as it turns out) was really into the idea. He loves FOCUS and YES and is all for them going on something like CTTE. On The Blue is probably a closer fit but... either way, nudging them toward Prog as best I can. I even suggested to Mike's tech that he convince him to break out the old Shergold doubleneck (Franck Carducci has one and it looks so awesome!!!). Can you imagine how great it would be to see Mike put that on in his show? Just a little nostalgia for us old Genesis fans. But... it's heavy apparently and not that practical. Oh well! I try.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's fun to dream isn't it? Haha. You know, I toured with L. Shankar on Gabriel's WOMAD festival in '93 and used to play stuff from The Lamb in hotel pianos hoping Pete would stop by and do a double take... "wait a sec, is that? And the laaaaaammmmmmb" but unfortunately that didn't happen. I was almost the keyboard player in his band, though, but that's another "fish that got away" story. Not as interesting as the story of how I got the actual FISH to be on Cruise To The Edge! So, perhaps he will sit in and we can do something with Squids, Fish and Hackett. Squishackett! (the funny thing is I'm serious... not the band name but about mixing it up and having some fun with these guys on stage!). I also helped Adrian Belew get on CTTE as well. We were opening for him in LA and I told him how great it is and how awesome it would be if he were on it so... a little connecting of the dots and now he's back again for a second one! I do this kind of stuff behind the scenes. Just to let you know, I tried to get Tony Banks to do a show (but got "no reply at all" from him through my friend Nick Davis, Genesis' producer/engineer, who is how I pitch TB besides his tech Geoff who is also a friend) and a "hmmm maybe" from Mike Rutherford and his band (The Mechanics) when they were here in Miami about to do an 80's Cruise. Anto Drennan, M&TM's guitarist who I befriended when they were here (he was the touring guitarist for the CAS tour and a big prog fan as it turns out) was really into the idea. He loves FOCUS and YES and is all for them going on something like CTTE. On The Blue is probably a closer fit but... either way, nudging them toward Prog as best I can. I even suggested to Mike's tech that he convince him to break out the old Shergold doubleneck (Franck Carducci has one and it looks so awesome!!!). Can you imagine how great it would be to see Mike put that on in his show? Just a little nostalgia for us old Genesis fans. But... it's heavy apparently and not that practical. Oh well! I try.
    Oh, I know these things do happen - I was on CTTE for the Greg Lake tribute which was fantastic. The Fish possibilities are very interesting, but I don't expect to be on the 2019 CTTE. I'm bummed as it'd almost certainly be my last chance to see Fish live. But I've seen him several times including a couple of times with Marillion so can't complain. But I'll still be hoping it happens and that it's recorded!

Dream on, dreamers...

I saw him do Clutching At Straws in England. Was really cool but I was fortunate to see him with Marillion back when they toured that album originally. That was awesome. Anyway... he's not playing ROSfest he's playing CTTE so it's kind of OT. Looking forward to it though and it's a shame you can't make it to this Cruise To The Edge because I think it's going to be one of the best! I've also got something special planned besides our two In Continuum shows that should be fun, especially for anyone who liked what we did on the last couple of cruises.

Quote Originally Posted by roylayer View Post
    That would be a selling point. Unfortunately, it would be directly competing with Cruise to the Edge which is Feb. 4-9, 2019.
    Which is Feb 4-9 and overly expensive.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Thanks Dave...It's too bad you won't be doing a show in Sarasota this year, but hey, there's always next year.

Speaking of collaborations, and I think CCTE has also been instrumental in getting prog band members to join together and play outside their regular full time bands.
    It's great to read some of your behind the scenes stories about getting people to join you and the band on stage to do different material.

I think we've entered a new era for progressive bands and how their music is being exposed. It seems without the heavy hand of record companies dictating to bands and band members about who and what they could play outside their band, groups are now operating as independent entities and there is much more freedom to collaborate with other musicians.
    You've been doing this for awhile, and I'm starting to see more and more bands working with other musicians.
    For instance Glass Hammer has guesting on their new cd Chronomonaut, Matthew Parmenter and Chris Herin from Discipline. Karibow's soon to be released Monumento has John Young(Lifesigns) and Michael St-Pere from Mystery guesting on some songs, along with some other guest musicians. I would highly recommend for people to check out the trailer demo for this if you can.
    And of course your recent collaboration with Michael Sadler at Progstock. Also the Yes Tribute album with many great guest musicians on it.
    Your new cd Acceleration Theory has guest musicians on it as well.
    These are just a few examples, and I could go on all day about how the Progressive Rock scene is changing.

I have to say, I think you're one of several progressive artists at the forefront of this change. And your style of writing/composition reflects homage to the past, but also very clearly represents fresh and diverse styles into the progressive format.
    I really hate pigeon holing any band or musician into the "progressive" genre, because today it can mean much more, at least to me. But it's necessary in a way, because if you're looking for new music it gives one an idea of what the music may be about.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Thanks Dave...It's too bad you won't be doing a show in Sarasota this year, but hey, there's always next year.

Speaking of collaborations, and I think CCTE has also been instrumental in getting prog band members to join together and play outside their regular full time bands.
    It's great to read some of your behind the scenes stories about getting people to join you and the band on stage to do different material.

I think we've entered a new era for progressive bands and how their music is being exposed. It seems without the heavy hand of record companies dictating to bands and band members about who and what they could play outside their band, groups are now operating as independent entities and there is much more freedom to collaborate with other musicians.
    You've been doing this for awhile, and I'm starting to see more and more bands working with other musicians.
    For instance Glass Hammer has guesting on their new cd Chronomonaut, Matthew Parmenter and Chris Herin from Discipline. Karibow's soon to be released Monumento has John Young(Lifesigns) and Michael St-Pere from Mystery guesting on some songs, along with some other guest musicians. I would highly recommend for people to check out the trailer demo for this if you can.
    And of course your recent collaboration with Michael Sadler at Progstock. Also the Yes Tribute album with many great guest musicians on it.
    Your new cd Acceleration Theory has guest musicians on it as well.
    These are just a few examples, and I could go on all day about how the Progressive Rock scene is changing.

I have to say, I think you're one of several progressive artists at the forefront of this change. And your style of writing/composition reflects homage to the past, but also very clearly represents fresh and diverse styles into the progressive format.
    I really hate pigeon holing any band or musician into the "progressive" genre, because today it can mean much more, at least to me. But it's necessary in a way, because if you're looking for new music it gives one an idea of what the music may be about.
    Incidentally, the Glass Hammer / Discipline connection developed because we shared the bill at a festival in Italy last year. Festival support is vital. Lots of interesting things can develop as a result of bands meeting and mingling at these events.