Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ROSfest relocates to Sarasota Florida

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

ROSfest relocates to Sarasota Florida

Posted to the ROSfest FB page

Dear RoSfesters,

The RoSfest community is very important to me on so many levels and my long-term goal is to keep RoSfest going for as long as we can in order to benefit the "progressive music family" as a whole for both musicians and Prog music lovers alike. The Majestic Theater in Gettysburg, PA has been a memorable host to us for the past eight years, but even though our reputation continues to grow as the best North America Progressive Rock Festival, our audience attendance has been slowly declining.

As many of you are aware, we recently relocated to Sarasota, Florida. Our decision in selecting this location was not only because of its beauty, beaches, arts and entertainment, but because we believe Sarasota would make the perfect location for RoSfest to continue to survive and grow. Besides having an incredibly approachable downtown social area with blocks of restaurants, bars, hotels, Saturday morning Farmer's Market, and shops that are bordered by Parks on the Sarasota Bay, Sarasota is home to the SARASOTA OPERA HOUSE offering an incredible acoustic experience residing in a $20 Million renovated theater. Our new home theater is in WALKING DISTANCE to hotels, restaurants, shops, and parks surrounded by views of the Gulf.

There are many additional attractions that people from all over the world visit Sarasota as a destination vacation spot for such as Siesta Key Beach, "Rated as the #1 Beach in the USA, 2017", Selby Botanical Gardens, The Ringling Museums and Grounds, The Mote Marine Lab & Aquarium, the Art Center Sarasota, The Circus Arts Conservatory, Longwood Key, St. Armands Circle, and Lido Key for Kayaking the Mangroves or the Bay. In the coming weeks, we will share additional information about Sarasota that will include maps, photos, videos and details to help familiarize everyone with the area. New host hotels will be designated and after hour parties will continue, but all within walking distance as most of you have requested.

I'm aware that this news may upset some of our supporters, but please understand that in order for RoSfest to survive, we’re hopeful that our RoSfest family will give Sarasota a chance so that we can keep bringing you the best that progressive music has to offer!

With much love and appreciation,
    George

http://www.sarasotaopera.org
    www.rosfest.com
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Am I being fair in reading between the lines: "RoSFest - Catering to a Geriatric Fanbase."

Shoot. That's quite a move.
    That won't work out for me, but I wish you the very best.

It's gonna be an uphill battle for survival. It was located in a good area where many east coasters could easily navigate to.

Have the cruises truly taken over?

There goes the Civil War buff part of the fanbase......

My parents lived there for 20 years. Beautiful area!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The only positive side that I see to this move is that you can hold Rosfest in the winter, other than that it makes no sense.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    The only positive side that I see to this move is that you can hold Rosfest in the winter, other than that it makes no sense.
    That would be a selling point. Unfortunately, it would be directly competing with Cruise to the Edge which is Feb. 4-9, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Am I being fair in reading between the lines: "RoSFest - Catering to a Geriatric Fanbase."
    Ha, but no. George got married and moved to Sarasota (might've been in the opposite order).

The Majestic is grand, but logistically Gettysburg was tricky. The old Eisenhower was big enough for most everyone but kind of a dump. This past year the hotels were nicer, but things were spread out and I heard some complaints about noise and whatnot. So, maybe to some degree RF outgrew Gettysburg.

That said...this will unfortunately significantly impact my regular attendance. This shifts from an 80-mile drive to a plane trip.

I can't say enough things about George -- he has been good to us and me specifically over the years and I'll never be able to say thank you enough -- and if this is the right move for him, I absolutely wish him all the best, and whenever possible I will sincerely try to be there. It simply won't be an auto-attendance anymore.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

IMHO - George would do very well to try and anchor things. If RF happened on either endcap of the Cruise to the Edge it could potentially reduce some travel expenses for folks who would do both. Might even sweeten the deal.

Not that anyone asked for that IMHO. But, there it is.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I wish George and RoSfest the best of success in Florida - unfortunately, it does make it extremely unlikely that I will be able to attend. Shame indeed (for me). Hopefully it thrives, and some of the bands that come over consider a date or two in the northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    A Rite of Spring festival.....in the winter.

Interesting...

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I figured the head man must have moved there, it's too drastic and sudden a move out of the eastern seaboard prog fanbase to just suddenly go "Del Boca Vista Phase 3" and 4 pm early bird dinner specials.

It might make sense to have it in winter at some time where it does not compete w another fest, or at least move it up to early spring to take advantage of the Orioles Grapefruit League residency. Of course, that might make hotels more tricky.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 05-21-2018 at 01:26 PM.

I was wondering when this announcement would come.
    It would have had a chilling effect on the vibe in Gettysburg I suppose.
    My cost of attendance would double if not triple.
    The lineup would have to be much more attractive.
    I would love to see Riverside, but chances are they will play somewhere in the DMV.
    Sigh,
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I would love to see Riverside, but chances are they will play somewhere in the DMV.
    You have a much more interesting Department of Motor Vehicles than I do.
    Last edited by kenschwartz; 05-21-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    You have a much more interesting Department of Motor Vehicles the I do.
    All of the other clever acronyms were taken, Tri Cities, Quad Armpits, what have you.
    District ( of Columbia ), Maryland, Virginia
    I blame the local weathercasters.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm out here on the left coast so festivals are a thing of the past for me (I'm not flying across the country anymore for one), but it seems like there's enough sustainable demand for an annual festival in that part of the country. Hopefully someone else will step in and pick up the ball.

And not to pry, but have the ROSfest organizers generally lost, made money or broken even every year?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I was never able to make ROSfest when I lived back East, so maybe my opinion doesn't mean too much. It was always the weekend right after final exams so I was busy 24/7 with grading. But I think the demographics on this don't cut it. There aren't enough locals to attract. And vacation goers already have the cruises as Roy pointed out above.

A land-based prog vacation in the winter is a nice thought though...

Their audience is clearly dying off, so of course it's going to be diminishing returns no matter where it moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Their audience is clearly dying off, so of course it's going to be diminishing returns no matter where it moves.
    Ain't the usual audience supposed to move to Florida anyway

Heh, from the looks of the front row this year they are already there!

I wonder if they'll have gator wrestling in the hotel pool?

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Ain't the usual audience supposed to move to Florida anyway
    That's what I was referring to in post #2.

Banned
    Good opportunity to change the name to something more compelling, esp. if the date changes. There's no Spring is Sarasota anyway is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Good opportunity to change the name to something more compelling, esp. if the date changes. There's no Spring is Sarasota anyway is there?
    FARFest (Florida Art Rock Festival)