Thread: Heartbreak turned a jazz/rock fusion drummer into an international pop icon

Heartbreak turned a jazz/rock fusion drummer into an international pop icon

Big fan of This American Life Podcast here. For all you Phil fans and haters (shame!), here is a link to the show Break-up, and Act 1: Dr. Phil
    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/339/break-up

Enjoy.
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

For those of us who don't have time to listen to the podcast in question, can you give us a synopsis?

It's a known fact that any time a songwriter experiences heartbreak (or any other tragedy) they tend to channel that into their songwriting. There's quite a few iconic songs that were born for such emotions, e.g. Layla, Every Breath You Take, etc.

I remember Kevin Cronin once joking that every time he has trouble in his marriage, he ends up writing a hit.

If you don't have time to listen, you can read the transcript: https://www.thisamericanlife.org/339/transcript
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Heartbreak ruined Phil Collins.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Against All Odds was the soundtrack to my first serious break-up, having come out right within days after I was unceremoniously dumped. Weeks later, a mutual friend of my ex and I told me that she (my ex) had stated how much that song reminded her (my ex) of me. What a bitch, right?