Thread: SiriusXM radio host Eddie Trunk talks about the need for a Prog Station on his show

SiriusXM radio host Eddie Trunk talks about the need for a Prog Station on his show

https://progreport.com/siriusxm-radi...-prog-station/

Eddie Trunk, host of SiriusXM/s Trunk Nation, is known for being one of the most important voices in rock music on the radio, with a career more than 30 years in the business. Prog rock fans will know him from broadcasting on the last couple of Cruise to the Edge trips. He has long claimed to not know much about the prog scene or be a big fan, but that has not kept him from realizing the potential in this fanatical audience. On his show on May 17th, while broadcasting from a Def Leppard tour rehearsal, Trunk spoke about the need for a prog outlet on radio and SiriusXM.

Email SiriusXM and let them know they need a prog channel: https://www.siriusxm.com/contactus

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Trunk
    It would be great if this service, if Sirius XM dedicated a channel to new music from classic artists. I mean there’s two voids that I see for passionate rock fans that have literally no outlet on Radio. 1- New music from classic artists and I play it and work it in on the weekly show here I do on Mondays over on Hair Nation, I always do. And the other is Prog. I am not a huge fan of Prog OK, but I understand that there is a huge fanatical fanbase for progressive rock music. There is literally nowhere for it to be played on the radio. There’s young bands, older bands, there’s all kinds of bands in Prog. There is no outlet for it. So to me if I’m running Sirius XM music divisions, I would seriously look at having channels dedicated to those two things because there are passionate people there that want to hear that stuff and there is no outlet for it in terrestrial or satellite for that matter and it’s important.

Saw this today on Facebook. I think Trunk's trips on Cruise To The Edge are beginning to rub off on him. It would be cool to have both channels that he talks about.

I haven't stopped hating XM for dropping Music Lab in 2006.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I heard a solo John Entwistle song on Deep Tracks today - that was a surprise!

I'm trying to submit a request for a prog channel to them right now but for some reason the email isn't being submitted easily...

Considering there are like seven or eight comedy channels that pretty much play content from the same comedians, I'm sure there's room for a prog channel again. I miss Music Lab, but a new prog channel could be so much more than songs from the same 10 or so classic prog bands rotated over and over.

My car's XM radio gets two "special" channels that can be changed at any moment. Right now, Channel 4 is the Wedding channel that plays wedding and prom songs, and Channel 30 is the Fleetwood Mac channel. If Sirius XM can't give us a dedicated prog channel, maybe it can give us a prog channel for a month on one of those stations to coincide with Cruise to the Edge.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Considering there are like seven or eight comedy channels that pretty much play content from the same comedians, I'm sure there's room for a prog channel again. I miss Music Lab, but a new prog channel could be so much more than songs from the same 10 or so classic prog bands rotated over and over.

My car's XM radio gets two "special" channels that can be changed at any moment. Right now, Channel 4 is the Wedding channel that plays wedding and prom songs, and Channel 30 is the Fleetwood Mac channel. If Sirius XM can't give us a dedicated prog channel, maybe it can give us a prog channel for a month on one of those stations to coincide with Cruise to the Edge.
    I agree - there are several types of channels that have multiple "variations." Get rid of one of the metal channels and replace it with a prog channel. What are wedding and prom songs anyway? Do they think someone's going to play Sirius XM for their wedding reception?

Also, once or twice I tried putting on one of the kid's channels for my son, even the Disney channel. They're all basically rap music channels, somehow supposedly for kids.

The Beatles channel, while it could still use a bit more variation, is pretty good. I don't know why they have some channels that seem like they're programmed by complete morons.

He's finally discovered that "Prog" fans are a loyal fan base....a worthwhile demographic to have in your corner.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree - there are several types of channels that have multiple "variations." Get rid of one of the metal channels and replace it with a prog channel.
    I'm all for this. I have Ozzy's Boneyard and Hair Metal in my presets and they seem that each play the same four or five bands. Put them together and you at least get a rotation of 8 or 10 bands.

That should open up a prog channel.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap