Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: “Is that supposed to be music?”

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Mind you, my dad still hasn't forgiven The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for what they did to America in the 60's, and I'm not entirely sure he's forgiven Chuck Berry and Little Richard for what they did to America.
    Beach Boys fan, huh? Pat Boone, too?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

re: my dad

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Beach Boys fan, huh? Pat Boone, too?
    Oh, definitely not a Beach Boys fan. Pat Boone, I think he'd at least find more palatable than almost anything that might be loosely defined by Reverend Lovejoy once termed "rock and/or roll". He's sort of the definitive 1950's parental unit, even though he was only a teenager at the end of the 50's.

Actually, I don't think my dad is really a fan of anything. The only time I've ever known him to listen to music was in the car, when he used to listen to country music radio. That ended about 30 years ago, when he a. got sick of the endless repetition, and b. decided the music they were playing on "country music radio" wasn't really country music (well, duh!).

But it was my mom (who liked what we now call oldies, and country music, and a few other things) and my two older brothers. There was all kinds of music playing in our house when I was little, everything from Elvis Presley to Uriah Heep to Johnny Cash to Frank Sinatra, even. But I don't ever remember my dad being the one who ever turned on the stereo, or picked out a record (or 8-track tape, we had lots of those) to listen to.

I remember being about 10 or 12 years old, and asking for money to buy a record, actually, this happened at least a couple times, and his response was "Can't you just tape it off the radio?". That's how his mind works. The idea of spending your pocket money on records (or cassettes, or 8-tracks or reel-to-reel or whatever) was beyond his comprehension.

While starting the car.

“What’s that noise?!? Is there something wrong with the car?”

Quote Originally Posted by karel hupjé View Post
    While starting the car.

“What’s that noise?!? Is there something wrong with the car?”
    No, I did put Kraftwerk - Autobahn in the player.

There is a Dutch television-show on music of all kinds named 'Vrije Geluiden' (Free Sounds) and my dad often says: "Yes, really free sounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    There is a Dutch television-show on music of all kinds named 'Vrije Geluiden' (Free Sounds) and my dad often says: "Yes, really free sounds."

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    "It sounds like they are just playing random notes", from a coworker while I was listening to Happy the Man.

Which really put prog into perspective for me, and how it probably sounds to other people.
    I had a similar moment with Anekdoten's debut. I was playing it one day in the computer lab and someone walked in and ask me to turn down/off because they couldn't take the noisey belligerence. Just made me chuckle thinking of all the actual things I listen to that were much more apt to that description.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Today in the car "Roundabout" came on, and after 35 seconds or so my wife said, "Oh, I like this!" She knew the song, she just didn't know she liked it.

"Just one little victory" - Rush

^^^^
    Honest question--does your wife know who Beyonce and Taylor Swift are?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    ^^^^
    Honest question--does your wife know who Beyonce and Taylor Swift are?
    Beyonce, yes. Taylor Swift, probably not. I'm sure she couldn't name one of her songs.

UPDATE: I just asked my wife if she knows who Taylor Swift is. She said "Of course!," but she didn't really know what genre she was in, couldn't name any of her songs, and really only knew that she'd testified in a trial of someone who'd groped her. She also said she's really popular with white supremacists.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    She also said she's really popular with white supremacists.
    Compared to Beyonce, yeah, probably.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Taylor is the one who keeps breaking relationships, Beyonce is the one married to a rap mogul, I think, maybe.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post

Where is the "slow clap" emoticon?

To be perfectly honest, I would take Beyonce over Taylor Swift any day.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Oh HELL yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Where is the "slow clap" emoticon?

I’ll choose Swift over Beyoncé: Music and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Pam Grier was really something back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Oh HELL yeah!
    Right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I’ll choose Swift over Beyoncé: Music and appearance.
    That's cool. I prefer Beyoncé, both musically and visually.

Although actually, I like Solange's music more based on what I've heard.

My wife likes Katy Perry. Knows who Beyonce and Swift are but is not interested in their music in the least. She can stand "Roundabout" but "All Good People" reminds her of a psycho college roommate and I've learned to NEVER play that one.

I can't think of any pop musicians I'd boink. Actors are another story and a very, very long list.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart