Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: “Is that supposed to be music?”

"When is this song going to end?"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"How can you dance to this?"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You're wife wrote these reviews?
    I'm single, never married (nor do I want to)...so I feel like a cranky old grandpa that has to keep up with the youth culture cuz I have no kids.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Someone once told me a girlfriend or someone had said "If you can't work out to it, what good is it?"

An ex girlfriend back in 1984 HATED King Crimson's "3 of a Perfect Pair". She would get visibly upset and demand that I take it off. Never made it to side 2 with her ;-)

That was always my dad's comment when I played prog (or just about any other modern music of the day) at home. For dad, if you couldn't dance to it, or if it wasn't a love song, it wasn't music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    “Feel free to tell your next wife about the new King Crimson album.”
    LOL! That's a good one.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought I'd go slowly with my new girlfriend and gave her a copy of ELO's Eldorado, a gateway to progressive rock and one of my all time favourite albums. Her response, "that's weird". Bummer. I can't imagine how she'll react to Magma.

Stuff to chuck me out of the house forever:
    Magma

Dagmar Krause

Cardiacs

Anything with trumpet for more than five minutes, even My Funny Valentine.

Spinetta in particular, and anything sung in Spanish in general.

Italian sympho-proggo is absolutely out of the question. Too much violin.

Rolling Stones.

Bob Dylan.

But...we love Hawkwind. We love kraut, everything German, except Dagmar Krause. We love bass voices.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Stuff to chuck me out of the house forever:

Italian sympho-proggo is absolutely out of the question. Too much violin.
    There is no such thing as too much violin.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Daughters comment 30 minutes into her first Magma concert, "How many songs have they played?", my answer - "this is the second one"
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    I'm single, never married (nor do I want to)...so I feel like a cranky old grandpa that has to keep up with the youth culture cuz I have no kids.
    So you thought you better post some random highly racist crap about a completely unrelated music genre? oh-kay
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

When friends said that to me when I took them to prog gigs, my standard response was 'Watch the drummer'.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Banned
    OK. I hesitate to tell this story, but back in the 80's when I was in my 20's I was hanging out with my then girl friend (who was a bit of a whack-job if i'm being honest) and doubtless smoking a little grass when I pulled out my Smegma "Pigs for Lepers" album. She looked at the cover with a somewhat mixed look of disgust & horror which is understandable. Without discussion, I put on the record and somehow between the absurdity/humor of the sound (which included maniac laughing on a loop) and the look on her face, I started laughing perhaps a bit maniacally as well, I don't know. Regardless, she got up after maybe a minute or two and ran out of the house. I shit you not!

I did go after her and managed to talk her down...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    fun factoid:

The name "Random Radar" came from a spouse's appraisal of what she thought of the music.

"What sort of music does your husband play?"

"I don't know. Some sort of awful random radar music or something."
    Love it! I also still love my RR LPs...

Like the TSA, my wife has established a “No Fly” list...a running list of albums that I shouldn’t play when she’s around cause that’s just not gonna fly. It includes most of the King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Frank Zappa catalog, as well as Magma. That’s fine...no judgement. After all, she’s totally cool with a lot of the more challenging jazz records I play (she’d much rather hear Andrew Hill’s ‘Point of Departure’ or Eric Dolphy’s ‘Out to Lunch’ than most straightforward hard bop or modal albums) and I’m not looking to weaponize the turntable.
    Besides...I’d rather not hear her Indigo Girls or Carly Simon records which she generally plays when I’m not around. Not that I have a problem with either of those artists, but good for the domestic tranquility that we each have our own listening time.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

...as far as what CAN NOT be played in her presence:

Gentle Giant !!!!!!....( you should see my Wife's Physical comedy routine regarding her listening to GG: ...a cross btwn "Elaine's (from Seinfeld') bad dance routine and a grand mal seizure...I REALLY need to video that!)

Miles Davis (The electro-fusion stuff)!!!

...on the flip-side, she loves: Wobbler, Yes, Early Genesis, Rush and most of the Italian prog stuff I put on.
    G.A.S -aholic

A variation of "How can you dance to this?" would be "You can't even snap your fingers to it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    Like the TSA, my wife has established a “No Fly” list...a running list of albums that I shouldn’t play when she’s around cause that’s just not gonna fly. It includes most of the King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Frank Zappa catalog, as well as Magma. That’s fine...no judgement.
    Pretty similar to my "no fly" list, but the funny thing is sometimes all of a sudden she really likes something very much related to the list. One day I was playing ProjeKCt 4, and she said "that's really interesting music. What is it?".

Me: ProjeKct 4.
    Her: Have you ever played them before?
    Me: Probably not when you were around.
    [I came so close to ruining the whole thing by stating they were, essentially, King Crimson]
    Her: Well they are a little weird but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    OK. I hesitate to tell this story, but back in the 80's when I was in my 20's I was hanging out with my then girl friend (who was a bit of a whack-job if i'm being honest) and doubtless smoking a little grass when I pulled out my Smegma "Pigs for Lepers" album. She looked at the cover with a somewhat mixed look of disgust & horror which is understandable. Without discussion, I put on the record and somehow between the absurdity/humor of the sound (which included maniac laughing on a loop) and the look on her face, I started laughing perhaps a bit maniacally as well, I don't know. Regardless, she got up after maybe a minute or two and ran out of the house. I shit you not!

I did go after her and managed to talk her down...
    She was probably remembering the movie she saw where something similar took place...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Her: Well they are a little weird but I like it.
    She probably thinks the same about you but is afraid to say it out loud.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Well I do have an ex-wife, who had very good taste in music for the most part. Loved solo Tony Banks (much more than Genesis), loved Jon Anderson, Sally Oldfield, Kate Bush, Annie Haslam, Prefab Sprout, and even some Flower Kings, who we saw twice. By the time I got into Thinking Plague, we were on the outs, and I am curious what she would have thought. But when Ere G came out, and I was just sure she would love it, we were driving back from Eastern Washington, it was a beautiful day-perfect Ere G weather. By the end of this song:

"This is depressing"
    "Huh? How?"
    "It sounds lonely."
    "I think it's quite beautiful"
    "It sounds very alone. Do you feel alone?"
    "Sometimes, but not necessarily in a bad way.."
    "You should probably see someone. Therapy can help with that"
    "I don't know if..."
    "There you go again, refusing to acknowledge yourself."
    "But..."
    "You're never going to be happy if you don't acknowledge your feelings. It's the only way we can grow and move forward"
    Me: thinking: We're missing Ere G.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    "This is depressing"
    "Huh? How?"
    "It sounds lonely."
    that's as good of an example of 'projecting' onto inanimate sound as I can think of!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Wife long time ago:
    "So, we´re listening to Elton Clapton right?".

"Headphones pleaseeeee Tomas!!”
    Last edited by TCC; 05-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Well I do have an ex-wife, who had very good taste in music for the most part. Loved solo Tony Banks (much more than Genesis), loved Jon Anderson, Sally Oldfield, Kate Bush, Annie Haslam, Prefab Sprout, and even some Flower Kings, who we saw twice. By the time I got into Thinking Plague, we were on the outs, and I am curious what she would have thought. But when Ere G came out, and I was just sure she would love it, we were driving back from Eastern Washington, it was a beautiful day-perfect Ere G weather. By the end of this song:

"This is depressing"
    "Huh? How?"
    "It sounds lonely."
    "I think it's quite beautiful"
    "It sounds very alone. Do you feel alone?"
    "Sometimes, but not necessarily in a bad way.."
    "You should probably see someone. Therapy can help with that"
    "I don't know if..."
    "There you go again, refusing to acknowledge yourself."
    "But..."
    "You're never going to be happy if you don't acknowledge your feelings. It's the only way we can grow and move forward"
    Me: thinking: We're missing Ere G.
    You project so I need therapy
    Ian