Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Sylvian - Gone to Earth

David Sylvian - Gone to Earth

For years, anything he did just didn't grab me. Until I heard the track Taking the Veil. Fripps guitar work and Sylvian's vocal are just mindblowing!!! Gonna order this one. Any fans of the record???

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by progman1975; 05-25-2018 at 02:20 PM.

You bet! This is a brilliant album, my introduction to his work which started me going backwards to explore everything he did solo and with Japan. Stellar lineup throughout. Some of it gets a little quiet/ambient, and I sometimes wished he kept the same vibe all the way through. From what I recall, he got a lot of record company pressure to put it out and he may have used old pieces or just put stuff together to get them off his back? Don't quote me on that though. But all in all it hangs together pretty well.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I like Damaged with Fripp and Sylvian better but Gone to Earth is solid, Like the last poster, I have tracked back to all of David's solo work and Japan. Truly a brilliant musician/vocalist.

Bill Nelson plays guitar on Gone to Earth as well, probably one of my top 10 Desert Island cds. Sublime! Saw him in concert in the late 80's where David Torn took on the guitar role- and again one of best concerts I have ever attended. What a band! Robby Aceto, Steve Jansen, Richard Barbeiri, Mark Isham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxVmnL14lD0

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Has anybody heard Sylvian and Holger Czukay's collaborative albums? I haven't but curious to check them out.
    "I am the fucking click track!" - Ringo Starr

I have Plight and Premonition and its years since I listened. I remember to be a bit underwhelmed. Its meditative, not much structure or 'melodies'.

Here it is

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Has anybody heard Sylvian and Holger Czukay's collaborative albums? I haven't but curious to check them out.
    They're being reissued next month: http://www.davidsylvian.com/news/dav...er_czukay.html
    I like them a lot, but if you don't like the 2nd disc of Gone To Earth, maybe they're not for you. I actually only have F+M, but a reworked P+P is part of Camphor, which I have, and I think that version is the one they're using for the reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    There are two, the other is Flux and Mutability, and I love them both...but I love ambient music, A LOT, so take note!

I didn't know that much about Sylvian until I bought this album on cassette back in the 80's. I'd heard some Japan at a friend's house, and thought it was pretty good. But when I heard a track from the second disc of Gone to Earth, I thought it sounded like Eno's Another Green World, and immediately bought it. I didn't even know of Fripp's involvement, which would've triggered an autobuy, too. I now have tons of Sylvian, including the 2 Czukay collaborations.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    For years anything he did just didn't grab me until I heard the track Taking the Veil. Fripps guitar work and Sylvian's vocal are just mindblowing!!! Gonna order this one. Any fans of the record???

+1 love this album

Wysłane z mojego SM-G935F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I have Plight and Premonition and its years since I listened. I remember to be a bit underwhelmed. Its meditative, not much structure or 'melodies'.
    That's sort of the point--it's very much in the experimental vein of Holger and Can, though closer to the abstract/ambient side without the more abrasive weirdness they could get up to. There's a real "counterparts" feel since P&P is dark and spooky while F&M is warm and pleasant. I quite like both--definitely agree they're for those who already love ambient, though.

I hadn't realized they were being reissued. And apparently remastered? I'll have to see if my old CDs are scratched enough to be worth replacing.

Oh right, but this was about Gone to Earth. The second disc can definitely be considered ambient, but it's the kind you can introduce to listeners who don't generally like ambient/new age/experimental stuff (at least I've always had success at it). It's superb; I've probably played it at least twice as much as disc one. Not that that one isn't great too, but a couple of the pieces still suffer a bit in comparison to what Sylvian & Fripp did with them live.
    Last edited by Spiral; 05-17-2018 at 10:04 PM.

David Sylvian was Steven Wilson before Steven Wilson. And a little Bryan Ferry.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

This album was really life-changing for me both as a listener and an artist. This, "Brilliant Trees", and "Secrets of the Beehive" are all brilliant and worth having in one's collection. Each album has a completely different overall sound and atmosphere.
    There's some sublime guitar playing from Fripp and Bill Nelson. Love every minute of it. It evokes an unexplainable vibe and feeling.
    Sylvian lives about 40 minutes east of me in the wilds of southern New Hampshire in a former ashram.

Beautiful album! Not a single weak song on that one. Great guest efforts - Kenny W and Mel C (not her). A big step up from the debut. Always had a hard time with the title track though.

I had this on casssette when it came out. I've no idea why I bought it as a teenager as I wasn't a fan of Japan, maybe because of Fripp. It's still one of my favourite albums but i never really took to anything else he did.

A brilliant album!

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    I had this on casssette when it came out. I've no idea why I bought it as a teenager as I wasn't a fan of Japan, maybe because of Fripp. It's still one of my favourite albums but i never really took to anything else he did.
    If you like Fripp this is the one you should get - its as King Crimson'ish as can be

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Have you checked out Beehive? It's outstanding, imo.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Is Fripp on Beehive??

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Is Fripp on Beehive??
    No, but David Torn is.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    This album was really life-changing for me both as a listener and an artist. This, "Brilliant Trees", and "Secrets of the Beehive" are all brilliant and worth having in one's collection. Each album has a completely different overall sound and atmosphere.
    When someone says there was no good progressive music in the 80s I immediately think of these albums.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    When someone says there was no good progressive music in the 80s I immediately think of these albums.
    This is an outstanding trio of albums, some of his best work I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    +1
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

As an early Japan-fan I followed the bandmembers after the split, so for me Gone To Earth was a logical (and brilliant) new step in Sylvian's career. But his albums (especially his earlier ones) are also so well worth listening because of the musicians that play on them.