Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vinyl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Thanks to the PFM thread on the main forum, I just bought a NM viny copy of Cook...don't have it on cd or vinyl, so looking forward to getting it next week.

Also Steve Hackett is signing the pre-orders of the new Abbey Road half speed remastered vinyl re-re-re- release of Genesis' Seconds Out when purchased from his site. But he's on tour and only stopping by the studio on June 10th.
    FYI, the US pressing of Cook is abysmal. Not sure what went wrong with the mastering. The European pressing Live In USA (same album different title) sounds infinitely better.

I was lucky to get a OG copy of Cook some years back.

Picked up a psych album by an Israeli band, The Churchill's s/t. Pretty good record.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    FYI, the US pressing of Cook is abysmal. Not sure what went wrong with the mastering. The European pressing Live In USA (same album different title) sounds infinitely better.
    Thanks for the heads up Ken! The seller had it listed as PFM Cook UK Import 1974. However the photo doesn't show it as Live in the USA.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Went saturday to what was announced a vinyl stock clearance with more then 10.000 vinyl. They made big annoucenemnts on FB and it looked interesting. (The word "destockage" in French is normally used for selling unsold but new products) I went there and big surprise : it was a tiny 2 room space crammed with people and cardboard boxes , in the second room the boxes where extremly low and not easy to access and most vinyls were in a bad shape (record and cover) and the few interesting ones were overprized.
    The next day I found fortunately on a flew market a near mint copy of Patrick O' Hearn's : Eldorado, Private Music 89 ( German pressing) terrific sounding record.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Scored a copy of Michal Urbaniaks Fusion III LP from 1975.

Stellar lineup with Anthony Jackson, Larry Coryell, John Abercrombie and Steve Gadd.

Michals wife, Urazula provides virtuosic vox on some track.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

For some years now a couple of record companies like Dol, Doxy, Waxtime flood the European market with cheap vinyl ( and CD boxsets) mainly Public Domain 50s and 60s Jazz records. I had bought a couple of hard to find records so far , mostly Italian soundtracks that were out of print for ages.
    The other day I bought my first Waxtime : vynyl Robert Johnson : King Of Delta Blues singers as a special offer in a big French retailer . I already had the Sony 2Cd Complete Robert Johnson and an Italian Deja Vu vinyl Robert Johnson 20 Blues Greats from the 80s with an ugly cover but I wanted the great original cover from the Columbia release.
    So first impression the cover of the Waxtime is great , interesting that there is no trace of the Columbia logo so either they had access to the original artwork or they did a perfect photoshop job. I have some Sony/ CBS reprints where they put a rectangle over the Columbia logo in a very visible way. First flaw : the name of Burt Goldblatt the artist of the original artwork is not mentioned on the back cover even so they used the original liner notes and credits.
    First listening impression , very quiet and balanced for a 1936 recording, better then the Deja Vu vinyl which is quite noisy and slightly better then the Sony CD . Second track Terraplane Blues starts good but when Johnson goes high up with his voice singing " Please" the vu meter is out of control and gives a nasty distortion which is neither on the Sony CD nor on the Deja Vu vinyl. Quite disappointing. The rest of the record is unequal , some tracks quiet and balanced others lots of distortion. Rather the last time I will go for Waxtime.

Looking for some insight into the following new-ish reissues.....they all claim to be from master tapes. Are these in the AVOID, GO FOR IT CONSIDERING THE PRICES OF ORIGINALS, or WINNERS! columns? Thanks.

The Can reissues

Stereolab reissues

Floyd 2016 reissues on the PF label

Tangerine Dream reissues
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I heard the Stereolab reissues were good.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Looking for some insight into the following new-ish reissues.....they all claim to be from master tapes. Are these in the AVOID, GO FOR IT CONSIDERING THE PRICES OF ORIGINALS, or WINNERS! columns? Thanks.

The Can reissues

Stereolab reissues

Floyd 2016 reissues on the PF label

Tangerine Dream reissues
    I have three of the Can vinyl reissues from a few years ago. They sound good to me, but are likely digitally sourced. That sort of thing doesn't bother me too much; there is good, even great sounding digitally sourced vinyl out there.

I've not heard the Pink Floyd vinyl reissues from 2016, but they are digitally sourced as well. They get rave reviews on the Hoffman forums, even from people who own original pressings. My sense is that these are an example of digital vinyl done right, but I can't confirm because I haven't heard them myself. I've actually thought about trying a couple of them just out of curiosity.

Originals pressings for Pink Floyd and Can can be crazy expensive, so if a newer reissue, even one that's digitally sourced, can get you 97% of the way there, they can be worth it. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Thanks to the PFM thread on the main forum, I just bought a NM viny copy of Cook...don't have it on cd or vinyl, so looking forward to getting it next week.

Also Steve Hackett is signing the pre-orders of the new Abbey Road half speed remastered vinyl re-re-re- release of Genesis' Seconds Out when purchased from his site. But he's on tour and only stopping by the studio on June 10th.
    I don't think you can beat the 2019 vinyl version of Seconds Out.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I don't buy a lot of new vinyl but I have the Meddle and Animals 2016 reissues and they are excellent, much better than some of the dreck that I have paid £20 or more for here in the UK.

Thanks for the insights Morphy, Rael, and Hippy shorts. I am not an absolute AAA snob but of course I love an all analog chain. An ADA vinyl record can sound amazing if its mastered well.

Disappointing record store day last saturday in Paris. Zero ambience , surely due to the late announcement.
    So I went to a small record shop in Paris Suburbia ,Mood Records , one of my favourite record shops. Only one other customer, so mask free shopping.

Had an Italian Pawn Hearts in option ( no gatefold and no lyric shet) and finally went for some very cheap classics all in NM shape.
    Yes : Close To the Edge / German Pressing 81 NM, I had bought last year a disappointing 2012 Rhino reprint
    Yes : Fragile / French Pressing 73 , someone called Jacline has left a discreet signature in the center of earth, otherwise NM
    Peter Gabriel : Plays Live / 84UK Pressing NM
    Peter Gabriel : 2 / 78French Pressing NM
    Genesis : Tresspass / French Pressing Charisma / Virgin NM
    The Band : Anthology / German Pressing NM

So yesterday I compared both versions of CTTE : 81 German Pressing and the 2012 Rhino release
    First the cover , the "original" 81 WB release has very sharp defined colours , you can see it on the title : the black lining is very crisp and entouring the colour is a second very shiny silver brush lining which makes the colour stand out with a "3 D" effect, the Rhino release is blurry and the colour is much darker, the great iner gatefold is out of focus on the Rhino, same for the photos on the backside : very undefined digital print for the Rhino. I really don´t get why they can´t reproduce in a decent way the cover art.
    So sound wise kind of the same, my last reference was the 2003 Rhino re-release which sounds good , but quite aggressive to my ears. I never heard the SW remix
    So when I put the 81 version on the turntable I was baffled by the clearness and space of the sound, a real rediscovery of CTTE. The Rhino re-release sounds muddy and undefined like the photos actually. I looked it up it was pressed by a German company Optimal Media GmbH which belongs to the Edel group.

Nice....cool stuff.

Anybody heard the newish Henry Cow LPs on ReR label....pressed in 2017 I think? Are these digital masters?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Nice....cool stuff.

Anybody heard the newish Henry Cow LPs on ReR label....pressed in 2017 I think? Are these digital masters?
    I bought the 2012 Concerts vinyl, mainly because I love the cover and there are lots of details. It's an Italian print by a company named Goodfellas. It's based on the 2006 Bob Drake remastering, so I suppose it's a digital origin. The record sounds as good as the CD. A couple of years ago I had the occasion to discuss shortly vinyl with Chris Cutler and to my surprise he doesn't care at all. He just follows the demand.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Disappointing record store day last saturday in Paris. Zero ambience , surely due to the late announcement.
    So I went to a small record shop in Paris Suburbia ,Mood Records , one of my favourite record shops. Only one other customer, so mask free shopping.

Had an Italian Pawn Hearts in option ( no gatefold and no lyric shet) and finally went for some very cheap classics all in NM shape.
    Yes : Close To the Edge / German Pressing 81 NM, I had bought last year a disappointing 2012 Rhino reprint
    Yes : Fragile / French Pressing 73 , someone called Jacline has left a discreet signature in the center of earth, otherwise NM
    Peter Gabriel : Plays Live / 84UK Pressing NM
    Peter Gabriel : 2 / 78French Pressing NM
    Genesis : Tresspass / French Pressing Charisma / Virgin NM
    The Band : Anthology / German Pressing NM

So yesterday I compared both versions of CTTE : 81 German Pressing and the 2012 Rhino release
    First the cover , the "original" 81 WB release has very sharp defined colours , you can see it on the title : the black lining is very crisp and entouring the colour is a second very shiny silver brush lining which makes the colour stand out with a "3 D" effect, the Rhino release is blurry and the colour is much darker, the great iner gatefold is out of focus on the Rhino, same for the photos on the backside : very undefined digital print for the Rhino. I really don´t get why they can´t reproduce in a decent way the cover art.
    So sound wise kind of the same, my last reference was the 2003 Rhino re-release which sounds good , but quite aggressive to my ears. I never heard the SW remix
    So when I put the 81 version on the turntable I was baffled by the clearness and space of the sound, a real rediscovery of CTTE. The Rhino re-release sounds muddy and undefined like the photos actually. I looked it up it was pressed by a German company Optimal Media GmbH which belongs to the Edel group.
    You do realize that there actually was no Record Store Day on June 20th right? It's been reconfigured into 3 separate Saturdays in August, September and October.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Yesterday scored:

Oldfield Tubular Bells original 9.99
    Focus Hamburger Concerto original 4.99
    Focus Moving Waves original 4.99

All near mint

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I heard the Stereolab reissues were good.
    I got both Emperor Tom Ketchup and Dots and Loops, and indeed they are flippin' fantastic. The sound is rich, fat, and delicious and the packaging with the three LPs and the big folding poster is just killer. A++.

I am going to try and score as many of these as I can.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    You do realize that there actually was no Record Store Day on June 20th right? It's been reconfigured into 3 separate Saturdays in August, September and October.
    Actually,
    there was a French Disquaire day the 20th of Juin, but it was not a big success.

(2019) These are the UK’s 100 best selling vinyl albums of the decade

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/bes...the-decade-uk/

^^ Many Best of or Greatest Hits albums on the list. It seems people like "those songs," but not so much "those albums."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Kin Crimson : An alternative guide to KC
    (2 Lp) Panegyric
    A young guide to KC was one of the records I sold and always regretted to have sold it.
    When I saw some time ago the cover in the record shop I was going for it without checking out seen that the record was sealed and no infos on the cover.
    When I opened the record I was surprised and slightly disappointed that the version of I talk to the wind with Judy Dyble singing was not on it.
    Anyway I listened to it and it's a great compilation of alternate takes of the first four records with In the court entirety in an alternate version. The overall feel is quite RIO / Chamber rock and the seaging is intelligent . I don't care too much about Steven Wilson's remixes of classic prog records but this sounds terrific. The only track which has a strange mix is the alternate version of Ladies of the road with a very heavy upfront drum sound.
    I found also a Charisma 2LP compilation Disturbance, NM quite strange mix of tracks Classic, Prog, Folk Soul plus a Monthy Python track. The sound is great.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Boy, buying new vinyl seems pretty stressful! All the having to pounce right away or you miss out - it seems like buying hot concert tickets, over and over. Fortunately, I don't buy vinyl, and I wouldn't want to put myself through that.

Alas, I can no longer contribute to this thread; sold my entire record collection (approx. 1,400), my turntable, all my cartridges, all my ticket stubs, all rock buttons, all my concert memorabilia, all my 70's Circus and Cream magazines, my Vac o Rec, my 70s Yamaha CR420, two 8-Track players, box full of home-made 8-Track tapes, and my one lone 80's P-Furs Concert shirt for a rather large sum of cash...

But relax, I still have a couple thousand CD's...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Alas, I can no longer contribute to this thread; sold my entire record collection (approx. 1,400), my turntable, all my cartridges, all my ticket stubs, all rock buttons, all my concert memorabilia, all my 70's Circus and Cream magazines, my Vac o Rec, my 70s Yamaha CR420, two 8-Track players, box full of home-made 8-Track tapes, and my one lone 80's P-Furs Concert shirt for a rather large sum of cash...

But relax, I still have a couple thousand CD's...
    Glad you made out well! Just as long as you didn't join a cult or something...