Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617

Thread: The Vinyl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Somewhat related was a double grooved Monty Python record. Depending on where the needle was dropped, it would play totally different content. After 40 years, I wish I remembered which one it was.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mo...d_Handkerchief

There's a Johnny Winter album ("Second Winter," and HIGHLY recommended) that is three-sided. Two discs with side four being blank.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There's a Johnny Winter album ("Second Winter," and HIGHLY recommended) that is three-sided. Two discs with side four being blank.
    That's very common these days, often as a result of fitting CD-length albums to vinyl. Usually they put an etched design on the blank side. I have not one but two five-sided Klaus Schulze triple LPs with his signature etched on the sixth side.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's very common these days, often as a result of fitting CD-length albums to vinyl. Usually they put an etched design on the blank side. I have not one but two five-sided Klaus Schulze triple LPs with his signature etched on the sixth side.
    this was already done on 78 RPM. My grandad owned a few of those. Beautiful flowery "etchings" (don't know if they called it that all the way back then).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

First time I saw an etched vinyl, was when I purchased Burzum's "Filosofem" 3sided double LP back in 1996.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    First time I saw an etched vinyl, was when I purchased Burzum's "Filosofem" 3sided double LP back in 1996.
    I don’t think I’ve seen anyone bring back that laser-etched technique that was on a few releases in the ‘80s, where you got an iridescent design on the actual grooves.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The recent vinyl version of Spock's Beard V is one. There's a design etched on side 4. On the vinyl version of The Light, all 4 songs have their own side. Since On the Edge is only 6 minutes and change, side 4 has double or triple spacing in the groove to not leave so much empty space at the end of the song. The needle moves very quickly inward as it plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    this was already done on 78 RPM. My grandad owned a few of those. Beautiful flowery "etchings" (don't know if they called it that all the way back then).
    78s originally had only one side. Discovering they could double the music by making it 2 sides was a vast improvement.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mo...d_Handkerchief

Cool. You can use the blank side to test your rig's anti-skate setting.

My turntable gave up the ghost a few years ago. My brother had a B&O table that he hadn't used in years but a.) still worked and b.) had barely been used. Because of COVID, we hadn't a chance to take possession of it but that changed last weekend. I'm back to playing vinyl!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm addicted to my Bitches Brew vinyl. It's a Canadian reissue from 1978, non-gatefold and says "contains 2 records, special low price" on the bottom right corner.

Anyway, I managed to score an UNBELIEVABLY clean copy from my local record shoppe for $30. I swear the previous owners must have hated it because it was even clean before I ran it through my Record Doctor! There are so many amazing attributes, but just a few:

- Beautiful low end, especially on the bass(es)
    - Miles' horn just sounds "right"...not too bright and not too recessed in tone
    - The dual interplay of the Rhodes is to die for
    - The tactile percussion, especially congas that you feel like you can just reach out and jam on yourself
    - Amazing air and separation of various instruments

I don't own an original pressing two-eye, but I will say this trounces my 1999 Sony CD. I am set for life now with this version, I feel like I struck a gold mine here and really finally "get" what this album is truly all about through these two LPS. Discogs has one copy left at about $53 in NM condition. I say if you're a vinyl freak and you only own modern digital copies, this is a no-brainer.

PS - I am not a vinyl snob, and love both CD and vinyl, and even streaming. But to my ears, this album in this format just makes me super excited at the mere thought of spinning it. Marvelous. Masterpiece (in any event).

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Cool. You can use the blank side to test your rig's anti-skate setting.
    As far as I remember it has grooves, and you get a very hissing noise when playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm addicted to my Bitches Brew vinyl. It's a Canadian reissue from 1978, non-gatefold and says "contains 2 records, special low price" on the bottom right corner.

Anyway, I managed to score an UNBELIEVABLY clean copy from my local record shoppe for $30. I swear the previous owners must have hated it because it was even clean before I ran it through my Record Doctor! There are so many amazing attributes, but just a few:

- Beautiful low end, especially on the bass(es)
    - Miles' horn just sounds "right"...not too bright and not too recessed in tone
    - The dual interplay of the Rhodes is to die for
    - The tactile percussion, especially congas that you feel like you can just reach out and jam on yourself
    - Amazing air and separation of various instruments

I don't own an original pressing two-eye, but I will say this trounces my 1999 Sony CD. I am set for life now with this version, I feel like I struck a gold mine here and really finally "get" what this album is truly all about through these two LPS. Discogs has one copy left at about $53 in NM condition. I say if you're a vinyl freak and you only own modern digital copies, this is a no-brainer.

PS - I am not a vinyl snob, and love both CD and vinyl, and even streaming. But to my ears, this album in this format just makes me super excited at the mere thought of spinning it. Marvelous. Masterpiece (in any event).
    Vinyl can sound more "right" than CD. Yes, CD is quieter and has far greater channel separation, which isn't essential for soundstaging since in a live setting there usually isn't left-right channel separation. Since there is a good deal of channel bleed in vinyl playback it can give an almost binaural experience, i.e. instrument placement and depth, depending upon how it was recorded of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Since there is a good deal of channel bleed in vinyl playback it can give an almost binaural experience, i.e. instrument placement and depth, depending upon how it was recorded of course.
    Just to correct the record (so to speak) channel bleed won't give you binaural. It'll give you various levels of mono. Not. The. Same. Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Just to correct the record (so to speak) channel bleed won't give you binaural. It'll give you various levels of mono. Not. The. Same. Thing.
    HA! shave and a haircut...

How ya been?

I wondered if you could resist discussing the recent MFSL scandal here