Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011

Thread: The Vinyl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    1. The vinyl records have a limited lifespan (opinions going from 20 years to near eternity) and 2. the softener used in the record production will eventually vanish and make the records more fragile.
    Yeah, I don't know who makes up these urban myths, but it's best not to believe everything. The used vinyl market is doing rather well, and a lot of those records are 40, 50+ years old. I've never heard of a vinyl softener.

I was in a Half Price Books over Easter and a guy probably around in his late twenties I'd guess, handed me a handful of records, and said, "I was gonna buy these, but decided against it. You can buy them if you like some of them."

I looked thru them, but didn't see anything I wanted, plus they were in trash shape anyway. I had one or two of them already, and we talked for a bit. I told him these records are trash, I wouldn't buy them in this shape, which is generally why when I buy used I'll buy a CD. They had some CDs there that were $2. a piece. He said, yeah, but they have a limited lifespan. I've read that after a while the labels will curl up and become unplayable. I said, where did you hear that? I've had CDs since they first came out around the mid 80s and that's not been a problem at all. People are strange.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I've never heard of a vinyl softener.
    Vinyl formulas do contain plasticizers which make the product more flexible and durable. There is a popular belief that alcohol should not be used in cleaning records because it will extract plasticizers from the vinyl--I heard that back in the '70s. This is widely regarded as a myth nowadays.

He said, yeah, but they have a limited lifespan. I've read that after a while the labels will curl up and become unplayable. I said, where did you hear that? I've had CDs since they first came out around the mid 80s and that's not been a problem at all. People are strange.
    He probably heard that about the paper stick-on labels that you can print out and apply to homemade CD-Rs, and mistakenly thought it referred to all CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well, if that's the range, then everything on earth has a limited lifespan! Of course, whoever said 20 years was an ignoramus; I have records I bought 50 years ago that still sound great. Just last week I gave my copy of The Hurdy Gurdy Man (purchased in 1969) a spin for a review video I was making. Not deteriorated at all. Still has a beautiful, present sound with crisp highs and punchy transients.

It helps that the music doesn't have much dynamic range to begin with. Was it the UK Virgin release? They were doing some excellent, high-quality pressings in those days.
    French Virgin pressing , can't compare to the UK one, but it sounds great. As I said most of my records have now between 40 and 50 years and so far most in good to perfect shape. But this story about the vinyl softener still intrigues me. Not easy to find serious studies...
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    French Virgin pressing , can't compare to the UK one, but it sounds great. As I said most of my records have now between 40 and 50 years and so far most in good to perfect shape. But this story about the vinyl softener still intrigues me. Not easy to find serious studies...
    I thought there was no such thing as a French Virgin.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

I have 100-year-old discs in my Victrola that have held up just fine. Sure, they're not modern vinyl, but I've never heard of vinyl deteriorating, except from misuse or mishandling (those nasty oils from fingerprints).
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I thought there was no such thing as a French Virgin.
    Valid point
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"