Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vinyl Thread

You never know what you're going to find at a flea market, garage sale or estate sale. Several years ago, there was a salesman visiting somewhere in Appalachia. (I think it was Louisville, KY.) He had some time to kill before his departing flight, so he decided to check out a local flea market. He saw some old 78s and saw on that looked interesting. So, he bought it for a buck or so. I think that was the only one he purchased, too. It turned out to be the Holy Grail of missing blues 78s. He sold it to the world's foremost collector (John Tefteller) for an undisclosed (likely six-figure) sum.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Going to Johnnys Records in Darien Ct this afternoon.

I haven't been there since the 80s...http://johnnysrecords.com/#
    Have fun, Chris!

Another great place to find used vinyl is thrift stores. Not the big ones like GoodWill, who simply throw records carelessly on a shelf. Rather, the smaller mom and pop thrift stores.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I don’t know about you, but in this digital age I have managed to find EVERY rare and elusive album I sought for years: Basil Kirchin’s first album, Cluster’s first, Ron Geesin’s library music... hell, I even found Jean Michel Jarre’s “Music for Supermarkets,” of which ONE COPY was made before the masters were destroyed. There is truly nothing under the sun you cannot find these days.

“Wasting time at record fairs or used record stores”? You sound like my ex-wife. She could never understand why, when I traveled, the first thing I did was look up record stores in the yellow pages!
    I think my problem today is that I don't even know what I'd be looking for anymore. Like most of us I used to root through endless bins of cutouts to find that special album or two. Or go into the record shop looking to see what I didn't know was released wayyyyyyyy before the internet. Today I couldn't tell you what I would want to spend time on trying to find.

Yes you're right, I bought THOUSANDS of LPs at brick & mortar stores back in the day -- pre-internet -- either buying them new, or carefully inspecting used records before taking them to the cashier*. If the store had a turntable -- and most did -- I played the record before deciding what condition it was in.

Unfortunately apparently nobody does that anymore. They run the LP through a fancy cleaner to get it all shiny, then look at it to tell you how shiny it is. I bought a couple of those "NM" shiny records.
    Most of the 2nd-hand vinyl stores I go to have turntables where you can preview items. That's too bad if that's not the standard practice in other parts of the country.

Also - aren't you being a bit harsh on newer vinyl? If no audiophile version of a CD exists and the vinyl version is less compressed than the CDs, isn't that a legit reason to prefer the vinyl? And this is being said by someone who recognizes the sonic superiority of an excellently-mastered CD.
    Last edited by Facelift; 05-17-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    A bit curious as to what amplifier ya'll are using.
    Once I bought my used Pioneer turntable I decided to go vintage and found a Realistic STA2000 AM/FM stereo receiver rated at 75W per channel.
    I love the tuner light at night, and it even has VU meters... ahhhhh the smell of vintage electronics.
    Attachment 11653

I bought this http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/pro...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my new TV and it sounded so good, I bought a turntable to go with it.

I have my 1979 Marantz tuner/amp in the basement that needs a thorough cleaning.

That thing kicked ass back in the day.

Today I scored at Johnnies Records:

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child (Blue Note 75th anniversary vinyl - new $20)
    Jan Garbarek - Places ( ECM 1978 - used near mint $6 )
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm guess that lunkheads who are placing and an album on the platter hard enough to leave a mark because he/she is too lazy and impetuous to do it carefully probably would also indicate they played it on a TT using a ceramic cartridge exerting 6-7 grams of tracking force with no anti-skate and that they put their greasy finger prints all over the grooves and never cleaned the things either. Certainly not a desirable used LP. But then again, of all the bad things I mentioned, the easiest thing in the world to do is place an LP carefully over top a spindle. I hope to God anyone incapable of placing an LP carefully over top a spindle is at least using an automatic TT, because placing the tonearm at any point on the LP would be far too graceful a move to pull off for such a klutz.

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    Speaking to browsing yard sales, one can usually tell within 25 album flips if it's gonna be a target rich use of time.
    It mostly depends whether you're starting with Mrs or Mr's milk racks

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Or if the first record is Frampton Comes Alive.
    Or The Eagles greatest Hits.
    Even worse when it is that both are the more interested slices of wax in the bunch

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You never know what you're going to find at a flea market, garage sale or estate sale. Several years ago, there was a salesman visiting somewhere in Appalachia. (I think it was Louisville, KY.) He had some time to kill before his departing flight, so he decided to check out a local flea market. He saw some old 78s and saw on that looked interesting. So, he bought it for a buck or so. I think that was the only one he purchased, too. It turned out to be the Holy Grail of missing blues 78s. He sold it to the world's foremost collector (John Tefteller) for an undisclosed (likely six-figure) sum.
    That's the jackpot of course... My point is that I have no time to go to Appalachia, and if I'm there, my first preoccupation is to get out of there as quick as possible to spend my time in other ways.

JK, of course , but I've got maximum 20 years to live, so I don't have time for record flipping in flea/garage/thrift places, anymore (not that I ever really did).

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Most of the 2nd-hand vinyl stores I go to have turntables where you can preview items. That's too bad if that's not the standard practice in other parts of the country.
    It is mostly standard in Western Europe, but valid only for B&M used record stores, though. The places selling new vinyls don't allow prior listening (and if they do, they'll have the CD and a deck)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    but I've got maximum 20 years to live, so I don't have time for record flipping in flea/garage/thrift places, anymore (not that I ever really did).
    We have a 'Record Show' every month here in B'more, about 50 dealers, everthing from $2 bargjn bin to $50 Blue Note rarities. The value of Record Show is the people and dealers I've met there that share insight into stuff I'm not familiar with. So, for the most part I spend 3 hours a month, and come away with anywhere from 10 - 20 lp's. I've been clued into Dave Cousin's solo stuff, Crosby Nash solo, Deep Purple early stuff, The Residents, Budgie etc, amazing the deep music brains I've met at this record show, nobody knows it all, so we share insights and finds.

Also have a large record shop where everything is alphabetized when I'm looking for something specific and willing to spend a bit more ($8-$15), they have an audition turntable there I take advantage of, both for condition and content.

So, a possible strategy for cutting to the chase, record shows and hobnobbing. I also don't have a lot of time to waste, so this works for me.

Friend of mine bought a record collection about 500 albums from a widow of an old head that passed. Some good shape, some beat, but the price was right. He's spin cleaning some Pink Floyd and asks me about this 'insert' he found in Saucer full of Secrets. It's the concert handout from the 1973 Dark Side Tour, when they were working out album material in concert and were calling it 'Eclipse a Piece for assorted Lunatics' some lyrics, tour dates and promo blurb. I'd been to that concert and lost the handout, and here is a pristine copy that he gifted me and I framed. just an extra part of the fun, never know what'cha gonna find in them sleeves.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    We have a 'Record Show' every month here in B'more, about 50 dealers, everthing from $2 bargjn bin to $50 Blue Note rarities. The value of Record Show is the people and dealers I've met there that share insight into stuff I'm not familiar with. So, for the most part I spend 3 hours a month, and come away with anywhere from 10 - 20 lp's. I've been clued into Dave Cousin's solo stuff, Crosby Nash solo, Deep Purple early stuff, The Residents, Budgie etc, amazing the deep music brains I've met at this record show, nobody knows it all, so we share insights and finds.
    I don't go to record shows anymore, but back in the day I was at every one. It was the place to buy bootlegs, and since they cracked down on that, it hasn't been the same. Sometimes there would also be unique items. I recall one in 1980 where I had to pass on a Peter Gabriel Tour Of China 1984 tour jacket because I hadn't brought enough money. (I may have spent some and didn't have enough left, I don't recall.)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't go to record shows anymore, but back in the day I was at every one. It was the place to buy bootlegs, and since they cracked down on that, it hasn't been the same.
    Yep, those were the days. Then again, downloading has made it so much easier and saved me a ton of money.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Anybody have any of these :https://www.musicmattersjazz.com/

Anybody have any of these :https://www.musicmattersjazz.com/
    Yes. They are state of the art reissues. In some ways they surpass the original pressings.

The Music Matters Blue Note reissues are widely regarded as the benchmark against which all other reissues are judged.

^^ Many albums of the 70s were thin and flimsy due to the oil crisis. Today's reissues of the same albums are pressed with 180g of vinyl.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Yes. They are state of the art reissues. In some ways they surpass the original pressings.

The Music Matters Blue Note reissues are widely regarded as the benchmark against which all other reissues are judged.
    Thx, that's what I figured at those prices.

Thx, that's what I figured at those prices.
    Those prices are insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    The Mono Box-which I think is now OOP-was cut full AAA. The stereo box was cut from hi-rez digital.
    And they ALL sound awesome!
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Can anyone attest to the fidelity of Replica Records vinyl reissues? http://https://replicarecords57.bandcamp.com/

Can anyone attest to the fidelity of Replica Records vinyl reissues? http://https://replicarecords57.bandcamp.com/
    Legit. Not from tape masters.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Lot of good stores for vinyl in CT: http://www.connecticutmag.com/bests-...aa9d22ee0.html

Record shows/fairs are fun too. We had one sometime back and I picked up ten or so lps. I like watching many of the Vinyl Community threads on Youtube. You can learn a lot, what's current, rare LPs, and so forth. Here's a couple:

^^^thanks Hippy!

What are the best search keywords to use to bring up vids like those? I punched in record collector and it brought up a hodge podge.

What are the best search keywords to use to bring up vids like those? I punched in record collector and it brought up a hodge podge.

I just type in VCLT--stands for Vinyl Community Love Train (I didn't name it...). Or just Vinyl Community. Or just follow some of the people that might comment on their postings. There are many many VCers on there, with various taste etc. I don't care much to follow someone that's buying Zepplin, Sabbath--been there done that. But to each their own. I'm looking for someone that might offer something different, a new perspective, etc.

I've always had rather modest or run of the mill equipment, but that's not to say everyone does. I have two stereos now. One is an Onkyo Receiver TX-8255 (solid state), a garage sale belt-drive MCS 6710 turntable, the other being a Sherwood Receiver RX-403 OR with Audio Technica AT-LP60 Turntable. I have a cassette and CD players with both those of various manufacturers (mostly Sony). I would say my equipment is run of the mill really, and pretty average. But gets the job done and I'm happy with it.

Of course you could go with a $90K turntable if you like, and there are other pricey components--just outta my price range.

Used vinyl isn't legit unless it can be found in the traditional apple crates.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Some of the VCers show off their audio equipment, this guy Riley has a nice set up. I don't know what type speakers he uses, he didn't comment on that aspect.

Here's a guy from Australia that has a nice sound system and generally listens to a wide range of music:

This guy has a nice set up too. I believe he plays in a classical orchestra somewhere, oboe I believe.