Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vinyl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Jesus Christ Superstar and All Things Must Pass were both 1970, vs. 1967 for the Donovan set.

The box set version of Superstar was apparently only fleetingly available in the US; I don't think I've ever seen it. The far more common version was a regular gatefold sleeve with faux-leather texture and cutouts inside the gatefold for the LP labels to show through.
    I have only seen the gatefold edition for this album myself.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I have a copy of, ATMP which I have had for at least ten years and have yet to open.

Jesus Christ Superstar and All Things Must Pass were both 1970, vs. 1967 for the Donovan set.
    1968, but you win anyways

The box set version of Superstar was apparently only fleetingly available in the US; I don't think I've ever seen it. The far more common version was a regular gatefold sleeve with faux-leather texture and cutouts inside the gatefold for the LP labels to show through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I have only seen the gatefold edition for this album myself.

This is the copy I have (it's probably a european pressing)

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Jesu...elease/1735073

click under the sleeve picture for all the details.
    Last edited by Trane; 04-17-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    1968, but you win anyways
    1967 in the US, 1968 in the UK.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

1967 in the US, 1968 in the UK.
    oddly enough (December, too )... You win again

It must've been also the second "rock" double album ever too, after his "Bobness' Blonde On Blonde album, edging out Electic Ladyland and Wheels Of Fire
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^^ "Freak Out!" came out in '66.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    oddly enough
    Donovan was lucky to get it released in the UK at all. Due to legal issues with his previous UK label, most of his psychedelic-era albums were not released there.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ "Freak Out!" came out in '66.
    FWIW, rock 'n' roll singer Jimmy Clanton released a double album Jimmy's Happy/Jimmy's Blue in 1960. As with the Donovan, it was available both as a double set and as two individual LPs.

The most detailled booklett (20 pages ) comes from my KC 2LP compilation A Young Persons Guide To KC , typical Fripp chronological KC history with nice pics.

I found an early 80's mint record by David Matthews. It's always kind of thrilling to unwrap a 40 year old mint record. I got it mainly because it was very cheap and it looked from the names like early 80s Soft Jazz with names like Earl Klugh and Grover Washington on the cover. I learned that Matthews is/ was extremy popular in Japan with his Manhattan Jazz Orchestra. He was also for some time house arranger for CTI records. Anyway , 'Grand Connection' by the David Matthews Orchestra recorded in 1982 sounds like mid 70s Soft Jazz Fusion and is actually a good listen mainly due to the absence of cheesy synths that nearly everybody used in the early 80s, to the great instrumantalists , good arrangements by Matthews and a very good recording. Very spacious sound with lots of deatails, the brass sound especially good.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

rock 'n' roll singer Jimmy Clanton released a double album Jimmy's Happy/Jimmy's Blue in 1960.
    First double LP I bought was "The Beatles Story" (1964), although it's something of a different animal.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    First double LP I bought was "The Beatles Story" (1964), although it's something of a different animal.
    Of similar vintage is The Beatles Vs. the Four Seasons, which was Vee Jay's repackaging of the one Beatles album they owned together with a Four Seasons album; the back cover was a scorecard where you were supposed to pit each song against the corresponding song by the other artist. Another one that doesn't really count.

Of similar vintage is The Beatles Vs. the Four Seasons, which was Vee Jay's repackaging of the one Beatles album they owned together with a Four Seasons album; the back cover was a scorecard where you were supposed to pit each song against the corresponding song by the other artist. Another one that doesn't really count.
    I luv The Four Seasons. Reminds me of, Lou Christi. I like the song Lightning Strikes. I think he had a couple of other hits from that time.

Missed my chance of buying a copy of that when it was affordable.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I read recently a couple of articles about the lifespan of vinyl records and only two things everybody seems to agree 1. The vinyl records have a limited lifespan (opinions going from 20 years to near eternity) and 2. the softener used in the record production will eventually vanish and make the records more fragile. The bigger part of my collection was pressed between 70 and 80 and so far I haven't discovered a record that has become unplayable.
    BTW I listened yesterday evening to Klaus Schulze's Timewind and I always wondered how he managed to get nearly 30 minutes on one side without loss of quality

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I read recently a couple of articles about the lifespan of vinyl records and only two things everybody seems to agree 1. The vinyl records have a limited lifespan (opinions going from 20 years to near eternity)
    Well, if that's the range, then everything on earth has a limited lifespan! Of course, whoever said 20 years was an ignoramus; I have records I bought 50 years ago that still sound great. Just last week I gave my copy of The Hurdy Gurdy Man (purchased in 1969) a spin for a review video I was making. Not deteriorated at all. Still has a beautiful, present sound with crisp highs and punchy transients.

BTW I listened yesterday evening to Klaus Schulze's Timewind and I always wondered how he managed to get nearly 30 minutes on one side without loss of quality
    It helps that the music doesn't have much dynamic range to begin with. Was it the UK Virgin release? They were doing some excellent, high-quality pressings in those days.

1. The vinyl records have a limited lifespan (opinions going from 20 years to near eternity) and 2. the softener used in the record production will eventually vanish and make the records more fragile.
    Yeah, I don't know who makes up these urban myths, but it's best not to believe everything. The used vinyl market is doing rather well, and a lot of those records are 40, 50+ years old. I've never heard of a vinyl softener.

I was in a Half Price Books over Easter and a guy probably around in his late twenties I'd guess, handed me a handful of records, and said, "I was gonna buy these, but decided against it. You can buy them if you like some of them."

I looked thru them, but didn't see anything I wanted, plus they were in trash shape anyway. I had one or two of them already, and we talked for a bit. I told him these records are trash, I wouldn't buy them in this shape, which is generally why when I buy used I'll buy a CD. They had some CDs there that were $2. a piece. He said, yeah, but they have a limited lifespan. I've read that after a while the labels will curl up and become unplayable. I said, where did you hear that? I've had CDs since they first came out around the mid 80s and that's not been a problem at all. People are strange.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I've never heard of a vinyl softener.
    Vinyl formulas do contain plasticizers which make the product more flexible and durable. There is a popular belief that alcohol should not be used in cleaning records because it will extract plasticizers from the vinyl--I heard that back in the '70s. This is widely regarded as a myth nowadays.

He said, yeah, but they have a limited lifespan. I've read that after a while the labels will curl up and become unplayable. I said, where did you hear that? I've had CDs since they first came out around the mid 80s and that's not been a problem at all. People are strange.
    He probably heard that about the paper stick-on labels that you can print out and apply to homemade CD-Rs, and mistakenly thought it referred to all CDs.

Well, if that's the range, then everything on earth has a limited lifespan! Of course, whoever said 20 years was an ignoramus; I have records I bought 50 years ago that still sound great. Just last week I gave my copy of The Hurdy Gurdy Man (purchased in 1969) a spin for a review video I was making. Not deteriorated at all. Still has a beautiful, present sound with crisp highs and punchy transients.

It helps that the music doesn't have much dynamic range to begin with. Was it the UK Virgin release? They were doing some excellent, high-quality pressings in those days.
    French Virgin pressing , can't compare to the UK one, but it sounds great. As I said most of my records have now between 40 and 50 years and so far most in good to perfect shape. But this story about the vinyl softener still intrigues me. Not easy to find serious studies...

Banned
    French Virgin pressing , can't compare to the UK one, but it sounds great. As I said most of my records have now between 40 and 50 years and so far most in good to perfect shape. But this story about the vinyl softener still intrigues me. Not easy to find serious studies...
    I thought there was no such thing as a French Virgin.

I have 100-year-old discs in my Victrola that have held up just fine. Sure, they're not modern vinyl, but I've never heard of vinyl deteriorating, except from misuse or mishandling (those nasty oils from fingerprints).

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I thought there was no such thing as a French Virgin.
    Valid point

Went to one of my favourite record shops in Cologne Germany : Parallel Schallplatten, not far from the center and a really big shop, you can go through the racks without bumping into others and they have a big choice of mostly used records. They have their entire catalogue on their website and as the bigger part of the records are stired in the basement I look up the catalogue and note the records I want to have a look at in the shop.
    I found a great near mint copy of the first Roches record, German 1997 limited edition pressing, issued in a series of WB vinyl revival. I dont't even remember that there were vinyl racks in the major outlets back then.
    The first Aviator , German Harvest pressing , nice record still quite cheap to find.
    Zappa : Studio Tan German Discreet Pressing, VG+
    Leo Kottke : The Best 2LP French Capitol Pressing records near mint cover had two ripped of price tags.

I picked up 26 pieces of vinyl last week at the Goodwill around me. I think someone died and they were just dropped off. Mostly jazz from Windham Hill with some Eric Gale, Ron Carter, Jack DeJonette, Dave Brubeck. I even grabbed three I wouldn't have if they weren't mint, Tony Bennett, Tom Jones, and best of Peter Paul and Mary. Since everything is priced by the pound the records and a few other things were a little less than nine dollars.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I picked up 26 pieces of vinyl last week at the Goodwill around me. I think someone died and they were just dropped off. Mostly jazz from Windham Hill with some Eric Gale, Ron Carter, Jack DeJonette, Dave Brubeck. I even grabbed three I wouldn't have if they weren't mint, Tony Bennett, Tom Jones, and best of Peter Paul and Mary. Since everything is priced by the pound the records and a few other things were a little less than nine dollars.
    Good find,
    I like Windham Hill especailly the guitarist section with Michael Hedges , Alex de Grassi , William Ackermann. I buy quite a lot of mint records just for the "mint side", bought the other day a nice Sinatra anthology and a still wraped Joan Baez record.

Good find,
    I like Windham Hill especailly the guitarist section with Michael Hedges , Alex de Grassi , William Ackermann. I buy quite a lot of mint records just for the "mint side", bought the other day a nice Sinatra anthology and a still wraped Joan Baez record.
    There was a Michael Hedges and two Alex de Grassi along with the first two Walter Carlos Switched on Bach.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    There was a Michael Hedges and two Alex de Grassi along with the first two Walter Carlos Switched on Bach.
    Excellent, all among my favourites!