Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: *** World Cup 2018 Russia ***

Go Iceland!!!!FB_IMG_1529168363034.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Huh! (doing the Iceland Clap)

Actually Iceland has more volcanos than active football Players... And only there are only 10% more Icelanders than the population of the town I live in (which ain't considered a big town)...

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Can someone explain to me how not a single Tunisia was booked, they get a penalty for a stray elbow but they are allowed to wrestle Kane to ground on every corner. One of the worse refereeing performances I've seen in a long time. At least justice was done. What's the point of VAR if they are going to let that go?
    I do not understand VAR at all after this game, it was almost as if there was a directive to favour the underdog. Could FiFA possibly be corrupt

As a football fan of too many decades, I hate all of this tinkering with the format. I think goal-line technology is a plus, but VAR seems as contentious as anything that went before, it just adds a delay in proceedings.

At the end of the day it's three points for England, so I'm happy!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Just noticed: If Germany loses against Sweden on Saturday and Mexico points on their game (a tie would be enough)
    we will be out of the tournament allready.

So there is some preasure on the German guys...
    Yes it's a huge game for Germany, and Sweden are defensively quite sound, they put both Italy and Holland out in qualifying, could they account for Germany too? I thought they totally underestimated the Mexicans, but having watched Hernandez all last season, I never saw him run so far for us, so I would have underestimated them too.

Why doesn't Britain field a team drawn from the whole isle, instead of breaking down into constituent states? No good Welsh or Scots players anyway, so why bother?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Why doesn't Britain field a team drawn from the whole isle, instead of breaking down into constituent states? No good Welsh or Scots players anyway, so why bother?

Just curious.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._football_team

Seem to be not the only ones as there are 211 members of the FIFA but only 193 nations in the world
    (plus about 12 not accepted ones and the Vatikan City)

I think the Scottish would immediately vote for independence if a UK team was formed.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Just curious.
    A) The Scottish, Welsh & Irish historically hate the English and are very proud of their national identity
    B) England, Scotland, N Ireland & Wales currently get 4 votes in FIFA that would be reduced to one

In the Olympics we compete as Great Britain but normally don't put in a soccer team for those reasons. When London hosted the Olympics the IOC insisted a Great Britain soccer team was enter as a requirement as host. Scotland refused to have any players and it was essentially an English team
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 06-19-2018 at 09:59 AM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

More than Germany losing its first match, the first real upset IMHO, is Japan beating Colombia

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I think the Scottish would immediately vote for independence if a UK team was formed.
    Regardless of a GB football team, they should go independent, especially since the Brexit was voted after the Scottish referendum happened

Perfidious Albion knew what it was doing, holding the Brexit vote after, instead of before....

But that's politics, so let's not get into it.

I think Scotland has not much to gain from the current state of things, since it's been decades since they've been weak in both Rugby and football (the only GB constituent that didn't majke it in the Euro 2016)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Scotland's rugby team finished third in the last six nations ahead of England & France.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    More than Germany losing its first match, the first real upset IMHO, is Japan beating Colombia
    Really? Don't underestimate Japan. Seven of those guys play in the Bundesliga (Germany) 2 more did so before.

Colombia played only with 10 guys after 3 min. and James their biggest star was injured.

Scotland's rugby team finished third in the last six nations ahead of England & France.
    Yeah, but that must've been theur best showing in the last decade... they're usually only ahead of Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Really? Don't underestimate Japan. Seven of those guys play in the Bundesliga (Germany) 2 more did so before.

Colombia played only with 10 guys after 3 min. and James their biggest star was injured.
    Yeah, I guess Japan is stronger than I thought... They've had a few Japaners in Belgian's First Division (including their goaltender), and often worthy players.
    Even third top sciorer in the Belgian Championship Morioka didn't make the squad.

I've always been disappointed by Colombia's WC performances anyways.
    Last edited by Trane; 06-19-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The Senegal Poland match was a good game - Poland really took way too long to warm up - Senegal were kinda crazy and all ovef the place - Mane as usual failed to impress - I don't know how he gets to hold his Liverpool spot week in week out - Senegal's first goal was a lucky double deflection and their second goal was one of the most bizarre I have ever seen - the ref waiving on a player while the game was in progress who then proceeds to intercept a backpass to the goalkeeper and scored. Bizarre stuff.
    Russia Egypt - disappointment that showed how much Egypt are a one man team - some credit to Russia - they are not awful and have scored 8 goals so far in their two games. The fact that they did not need to qualify means they have not been seen as much as the other teams obviously they have been getting their act together over the last few years.

With its 6 points so far, Russia could even lose its game against Uruguay and still be qualified, because even if the Saudis were to win both its games remaining, they lost 5-0 to them.

Group H is the biggest surprise, so far & IMHO. I'd have bet Poland & Colombia to qualify, but that's not likely that both do anymore.

Red card on Colombia seemed harsh as they'd already given up the penalty, I thought they'd changed the rule so that stopping an obvious goal scoring opportunity that led to a penalty was now a yellow to not give a double punishment.
    Ian

I really feel for M. Salah......poor guy has a stellar run with Liverpool...then gets slammed down and injured in the FA cup by a total asshole (who SHOULD have been carded IMHO)...then misses the first WC match (team loses) then plays game 2 and........well, I think the pressure was just too much for him to have to carry the team to a victory.

...like I said, I really feel for the guy.
    G.A.S -aholic

Red card on Colombia seemed harsh as they'd already given up the penalty, I thought they'd changed the rule so that stopping an obvious goal scoring opportunity that led to a penalty was now a yellow to not give a double punishment.
    I think the change made is that if a defender denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity with a tackle, but was making a genuine attempt to play the ball, then it's now a yellow rather than a red. Deliberate handball or just hauling the guy down to stop him scoring is still a penalty and a red card

Just curious.
    The bit in bold is what worries me. The Scottish league is considered by many English fans, pundits etc as not much better than a pub league, and the chances of anyone playing in Scotland getting into a GB team would be negligible. The number of caps won by English players playing in Scotland during the last 20 years must be single figures. It doesn't seem to bother any other nations, but England seems to have a real problem picking anyone who plays in Scotland, and the suspicion is that a GB team would suffer the same fate.

Of course there's also the national pride bit. I'm definitely NOT a supporter of Scottish independence, but I still like having my own national team to get mad at!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I think the change made is that if a defender denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity with a tackle, but was making a genuine attempt to play the ball, then it's now a yellow rather than a red. Deliberate handball or just hauling the guy down to stop him scoring is still a penalty and a red card
    Makes sense, thanks!
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    The bit in bold is what worries me. The Scottish league is considered by many English fans, pundits etc as not much better than a pub league, and the chances of anyone playing in Scotland getting into a GB team would be negligible. The number of caps won by English players playing in Scotland during the last 20 years must be single figures. It doesn't seem to bother any other nations, but England seems to have a real problem picking anyone who plays in Scotland, and the suspicion is that a GB team would suffer the same fate.

Of course there's also the national pride bit. I'm definitely NOT a supporter of Scottish independence, but I still like having my own national team to get mad at!
    The only current Scottish, Irish or Welsh player I can think of who would walk into a GB squad is Gareth Bale but historically Law, Dalglish, Souness, Strachan, Best, Jennings, Blanchflower would have improved an England squad
    Ian

^^ And there-in lies the problem. By that reckoning, if you're not English you have to be world class to get into an England football team. Of course if you ARE English no such standard is expected!! Just looking at goalies, are you seriously telling me that Craig Gordon (Celtic goalkeeper with multiple amazing Champions League performances to his name) is any worse than the three guys I've never heard of that are wearing the gloves for this England squad?

I'm not expecting you to answer by the way...I don't expect you've even heard of Craig Gordon or seen him play, and that's part of the problem. Nobody outside Scotland cares about Scottish football, least of all the English...

I've heard of Craig Gordon, I'm a Newcastle fan so I primarily know him from his Sunderland days (SMB), having lived in the USA for 20 years I' haven't seen much Scottish football televised. From what I've seen of him I'd take him over any of the current English also-rans.
    Ian

I've heard of Craig Gordon, I'm a Newcastle fan so I primarily know him from his Sunderland days (SMB), having lived in the USA for 20 years I' haven't seen much Scottish football televised. From what I've seen of him I'd take him over any of the current English also-rans.
    Newcastle fan eh? My apologies (and sympathy ). I hope you take my general point though about lack of interest in Scottish football south of the border and elsewhere, even though when I'm watching Celtic games on illegal streams it quite often is coming from some US broadcaster. I suppose sports channels have to fill their schedules with something

A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence