Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Koenji Hyakkei album

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I missed that year - what happened?
    Nothing outlandish! Some just didn't care for the vocals. Some did. NEARfest was great, but when they miraculously played a pretty small club in Toronto, it was mind-blowing!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They put on a musically scintillating performance, but the vocals consisted mostly of a woman shouting at the audience. Many were thrilled with the performance in it's entirety. Others, like me, (and I overheard it numerous times,) thought the vocals ruined an otherwise outstanding performance.
    While I wasn't there and thus can't comment on the vocal performance, the lineup has changed over the years and I don't think they've always had the same vocalist with them live as in the studio. So it's possible the recorded stuff might not be as off-putting to you.

In other words, don't sleep on Hundred Sights and Nivraym.

No female vocals on Viva.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    While I wasn't there and thus can't comment on the vocal performance, the lineup has changed over the years and I don't think they've always had the same vocalist with them live as in the studio. So it's possible the recorded stuff might not be as off-putting to you.

In other words, don't sleep on Hundred Sights and Nivraym.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    No female vocals on Viva.
    I love female vocals. However, with the caveat that the vocals have to be sung. At Nearfest, they weren't sung. On those 2 albums, they are?

I love female vocals. However, with the caveat that the vocals have to be sung. At Nearfest, they weren't sung. On those 2 albums, they are?
    I have no issues with any of the albums regarding the vocals (or else). I you can take magma ...

if you can't handle a lunatic screaming in your face then perhaps Zeuhl is not for you
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    if you can't handle a lunatic screaming in your face then perhaps Zeuhl is not for you
    That's what I was looking for. Thank you, sir.

Yeah, I think so. It's very much in the vein of Magma, IMO. Lots of repetition, and multiple vocalists harmonizing together (sometimes male and female). Sometimes they get more extreme, being part of that particular Japanese music scene.

At times it makes me think of a souped up MDK or Kohntarkosz.

^ Well, that would be fine.

I am going to buy this rock record when it is released in the shop.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I am going to buy this rock record when it is released in the shop.
    Do you mean shoppe?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Do you mean shoppe?
    I intend to purchase this r&r album when it is issued and delivered to the record store. I plan on utilizing monetary means, preferably cash bills which I will hand over to the man on the other side of the counter.

He is almost always a man.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The man can’t bust the music.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I really learnt a thing or two when that PE member who calls himself Jeremy Bender (from a song by ELP, you see, who are 'in') likened Yoshida to the drummer from the Muppet Show. Yoshida's moniker Ruins Alone sounded very alien and strange to him on presentation, you see, and so was 'out'. When asked how it could be that an allegedly "obviously untalented" drummer such as Yoshida tours the world with absolutely allsorts of highly acknowledged rock bands, theatre troupes, contemporary music and dance ensembles, improvisational artists and plays regularly with folks like Satoko Fujii, Wayne Horvitz, Ned Rothenberg, Kato Hideki, John Zorn, Kazuhisa Uchihashi, Bill Laswell, Eyvind Kang, Fred Frith and so on, Mr. Bender simply vanished for a while. Not because he was embarrassed at that, as he's not convinced or impressed by references to oblivious names he's unacquainted with - but simply because he didn't have time for anymore bullshit discussion on such obviously untalented 'out' Muppet drummers as Yoshida.

He did attend recent concerts by vitals as wide as King Crimson, Mastodon, The Musical Box (they're very, very similar to Genesis!) and Steven Wilson, though. These are most probably much more important and hallowed in current musical development, 'cause unlike a bunch of complete unknowns to him, they're 'in'.

The new track sounds great. Auto buy before I heard it. I had heard rumblings over the years that they would be getting together for a new album, but I wasn't holding out hope. By the way count me in the Angherr Shisspa camp!

I love the part where the woman is screaming at the audience

... likened Yoshida to the drummer from the Muppet Show. Yoshida's moniker Ruins Alone sounded very alien and strange to him on presentation, you see, and so was 'out'.
    I think this is a bit unfair. Yoshida is a good drummer, although there is of course plenty of room for him to improve his somewhat unrefined technique. He's no Bruford, he didn't play with Yes or King Crimson like Bruford did, which merit, on its own, makes him a better player. Yoshida is still young though, he's not even 60 years old, so if he focus on his instrument he may as well improve, there's definitely a lot of talent there and a lot of potential. He just needs to try harder.

I intend to acquire this round, music-containing, device by presenting to the person who is in charge of distributing it non-monetary means. Preferably irrational, lethal violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I think this is a bit unfair. Yoshida is a good drummer, although there is of course plenty of room for him to improve his somewhat unrefined technique. He's no Bruford, he didn't play with Yes or King Crimson like Bruford did, which merit, on its own, makes him a better player. Yoshida is still young though, he's not even 60 years old, so if he focus on his instrument he may as well improve, there's definitely a lot of talent there and a lot of potential. He just needs to try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Yoshida is a good drummer, although there is of course plenty of room for him to improve his somewhat unrefined technique. He's no Bruford […] He just needs to try harder.
    That's very eloquently put, but honestly this could be said of all these so-called "great" hipster-eccentric percussionists/composers/improvisers like Yoshida, Zach Hill, Morgan Ågren, Glenn Kotche, Paal Nilsen-Love and so on. They're all still very/pretty young, so there's a lot of time ahead to rehearse for that ultimate audition for S. Wilson and Dream Theater. But although Bruford would get the gig in an instant sec, those youngsters arguably wouldn't stand a chance. They're simply all too strange and alien, as if they're not quite trying hard enough to become as one.

Isn' t anybody going to mention Mike Portnoy ?

Isn' t anybody going to mention Mike Portnoy?
    Nah, he's already 'in' for sure.

Nah, he's already 'in' for sure.
    I don't think so. Portnoy should audition to Dream Theater. Then and only then he will gain my respect!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I don't think so. Portnoy should audition to Dream Theater. Then and only then he will gain my respect!
    Why not in YES - but will YES then still be YES?

Why not in YES - but will YES then still be YES?
    That's my dream Yes line-up:

Vocals: Stephen Wilson
    Drums: Yoshida and Portnoy
    Guitars: Stephen "Wowie" Howe
    Bass: Chris Squire (he's dead but we can use his hologram)
    Keys: Peter Gabriel

YES-medley with Yoshida, but the rest of your team is regrettably missing