Thread: PFM at Reggie's in Chicago last night (5/8/18)

PFM at Reggie's in Chicago last night (5/8/18)

32074932_396518854156145_8309821304605769728_n.jpg

I'm surprised that no one has posted about the current U.S. PFM tour, although maybe it's not very big news since they just toured the States two years ago. At any rate, I'd never seen them before last night (and I was always a minor fan going back 30 years).

They were really good, I enjoyed hearing all the old classics (some I'd forgotten, having not listened in over 20 years or so but they came back to me). The new stuff sounded fine too. Always felt that this band suffered from lack of a strong front man (they just didn't have a Gabriel, Hammill, Anderson, etc, to push them over the edge IMO) and I would like to have seen them with Franco Mussida who I guess was with them until recently (only the drummer and the bassist were from the "classic" era). But it was great to see them draw a respectable sized crowd. I did notice that those that attended were strictly old school prog heads (lotsa people my age and older, lol) whereas when I saw Magma and Arthur Brown at the same venue, there were the usual old school prog heads but with a healthy percentage of younger, "hipster" (in a good way, I suppose) adventurous music fans in attendance as well. Not really the case last night.

Got to talk to the two classic members quite a bit after the show and told them that I remembered seeing them on Midnight Special in '75 when they were guests of Steppenwolf. They obviously remembered that very well. I didn't know who PFM were at the time and remember thinking "What sort of music is this????" (I was ten and I'd tuned in for Steppenwolf, still a fave of mine after all these years). I vividly remember Steppenwolf's bass player, George Biondo, introducing PFM to the millions of TV viewers. I got to know George a bit and he recently told me that this was because the producers asked him to do it. They reasoned that, George being the one Italian member in Steppenwolf, he should introduce PFM. I told George I was going to the gig last night and he asked me to tell the two classic members 'hi.' They enjoyed that story, and told me to tell him 'hi' back (took photos with the two and sent them to George last night, which he enjoyed).

Sorry I missed them with Mussida but they still put on an enjoyable show.

Thanks for sharing!
    Really appreciate it!

Pura vida!.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    32074932_396518854156145_8309821304605769728_n.jpg

I'm surprised that no one has posted about the current U.S. PFM tour, although maybe it's not very big news since they just toured the States two years ago. At any rate, I'd never seen them before last night (and I was always a minor fan going back 30 years).

They were really good, I enjoyed hearing all the old classics (some I'd forgotten, having not listened in over 20 years or so but they came back to me). The new stuff sounded fine too. Always felt that this band suffered from lack of a strong front man (they just didn't have a Gabriel, Hammill, Anderson, etc, to push them over the edge IMO) and I would like to have seen them with Franco Mussida who I guess was with them until recently (only the drummer and the bassist were from the "classic" era). But it was great to see them draw a respectable sized crowd. I did notice that those that attended were strictly old school prog heads (lotsa people my age and older, lol) whereas when I saw Magma and Arthur Brown at the same venue, there were the usual old school prog heads but with a healthy percentage of younger, "hipster" (in a good way, I suppose) adventurous music fans in attendance as well. Not really the case last night.

Got to talk to the two classic members quite a bit after the show and told them that I remembered seeing them on Midnight Special in '75 when they were guests of Steppenwolf. They obviously remembered that very well. I didn't know who PFM were at the time and remember thinking "What sort of music is this????" (I was ten and I'd tuned in for Steppenwolf, still a fave of mine after all these years). I vividly remember Steppenwolf's bass player, George Biondo, introducing PFM to the millions of TV viewers. I got to know George a bit and he recently told me that this was because the producers asked him to do it. They reasoned that, George being the one Italian member in Steppenwolf, he should introduce PFM. I told George I was going to the gig last night and he asked me to tell the two classic members 'hi.' They enjoyed that story, and told me to tell him 'hi' back (took photos with the two and sent them to George last night, which he enjoyed).

Sorry I missed them with Mussida but they still put on an enjoyable show.

Nice story and review!

We've been enjoying the new album Emotional Tattoos on vinyl which also included 2 cd versions of Italian and English. Unfortunately the vinyl is english only.
    Also love the PFM Live In Japan DVD.
    Just for fun, a little trip back in the time machine. (I remember that Midnight Special broadcast).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

whereas when I saw Magma and Arthur Brown at the same venue, there were the usual old school prog heads but with a healthy percentage of younger, "hipster" (in a good way, I suppose) adventurous music fans in attendance as well. Not really the case last night.
    That's too bad, PFM are every bit as interesting as the band's you mention.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Shoot! I am going to Chicago today!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I saw them do Photos of Ghosts in Central Park circa 74. They were much better live than King Crimson was during that period. I got high with them in their trailer afterward, Pagani threw away my thin joints and rolled several cigar sized ones. Mussida showed me all his pedals. They spoke no English so we communicated with wild hand gestures and eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticranger View Post
    They spoke no English so we communicated with wild hand gestures and eyebrows.
    Yes, that's what I found funny about the Steppenwolf story as well. George (the Steppenwolf bassist who was nominated by the Midnight Special crew to introduce PFM) told me the decision was made because George was Italian. But he didn't speak a word of Italian! As I remember from when I actually viewed it in '75, he struggled a bit through the intro and he told me more recently that when he met / hung out with PFM backstage or off set, they couldn't speak a word of English! I think they played another show somewhere else that year (Steppenwolf & PFM, a concert bill, not a TV show) and it was the same... George and PFM communicated with gestures, etc, but not actual spoken language (lol).

Maybe they've learned in the ensuing years, but Patrick (bass) and Franz (drums) of PFM both spoke perfectly fine English when I talked to them the other night at Reggie's.

...and I know that one time violinist / flautist Mauro Pagani speaks English very well also. I spoke to him on the phone when I was in Italy back in the late 90s (my band was playing a club in Pavia and it turned out the owner was a friend of Mauro's so at dinner that night before the gig, the owner called him and put him on the phone with me! Very cool and exciting for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Shoot! I am going to Chicago today!
    Go to the Nik Bartsch show! See the current thread about the band for venue information.

George and PFM communicated with gestures, etc, but not actual spoken language (lol).
    I credit my girlfriend's breasts with getting us into PFMs trailer. I just followed her! I've always wondered why they thought they need a "front man" when their vocals were already so magical.