Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saga suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post
    To me, the absolute highlights are the S/T debut album, Worlds Apart, The Beginners Guide to Throwing Shapes, The Security of Illusion, and House of Cards. Those five albums all balance strong melodic songwriting with remarkable instrumental textures and interplay. The lowlights, to me, are Steel Umbrellas, Wildest Dreams, and Trust (with the former two characterized by synthetic pop sounds and the latter going in a bland, harder rock direction that unfortunately their latest, 20/20, also follows). The others are somewhere in between for me, with the ambitious Generation 13 having some of the highest highs and lowest lows (including the ridiculous adolescent computer voice that practically ruins the album).

For all those who share my high opinion of the debut, I'd have to say that my favorites on it are the subtly psychedelic pair of "Give 'Em the Money" ("...walking slowly helps your day...") and "Ice Nice."
    Interesting. I think you are the first person not recommending Silent Knight on their top tier Saga albums. Was that an oversight?

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    From the debut,SAGA is this awesome tune,Climbing The Ladder. Ian's guitar parts are pure genius.
    Agree that it is a great track.

Did not clicked on the video clip when it was first posted, but I just clicked on it and noticed that the person who uploaded the clip was playing keyboards above the actual track. For those who have never heard this track, this is not the way it sounds on the actual album.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Interesting. I think you are the first person not recommending Silent Knight on their top tier Saga albums. Was that an oversight?
    No, not an oversight--I left it off my top 5 on purpose, but it would probably be my 6th or 7th pick if I were to expand my list. To me, it is a very good album, very much in the vein of the debut, but perhaps not as consistent. It has the classic "Don't Be Late," but I feel tracks like "What's It Gonna Be" and "Compromise" are beginning to show signs of lagging inspiration. I think the inspiration came back in a huge way with Worlds Apart. So, a very good album, but I feel the S/T debut offers an even better account of that period's musical approach.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Agree that it is a great track.

Did not clicked on the video clip when it was first posted, but I just clicked on it and noticed that the person who uploaded the clip was playing keyboards above the actual track. For those who have never heard this track, this is not the way it sounds on the actual album.
    I never played it,just shared it,cause I was listening to my stereo at the time. I'm gonna check this out though and thanks for the update.

I'm surprised by the lack of love for "Heads Or Tales" on these lists...I've always thought the first 5 Saga albums including Heads Or Tales are pretty much no brainers...another one I like that doesn't seem very popular is "Wildest Dreams" which has Curt Cress on drums and has some really great guitar solos on it.....
    www.canvasproductions.net