Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who else loves classic Rainbow (and do you know any other similar bands)?

I am getting a bit of rainbow vibe from this

https://youtu.be/oODTQgztwes

If you can make a sonic link from Rainbow to Deep Purple and Uriah Heep, then try modern retro band Spiritual Beggars, especially their more recent stuff, "Return to Zero," "Earth Blues" and "Sunrise to Sundown".

You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    If you can make a sonic link from Rainbow to Deep Purple and Uriah Heep...
    I was hoping for some support for my Manowar case GD

The Scorpions?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I was hoping for some support for my Manowar case GD
    Well actually there is a link there too as Manowar made a Dio tribute album with other bands.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

If you can make a sonic link from Rainbow to Deep Purple and Uriah Heep, then try modern retro band Spiritual Beggars, especially their more recent stuff, "Return to Zero," "Earth Blues" and "Sunrise to Sundown".
    Yes!!.
    First time here: really enjoy them, thanks for the reco.!.

Last night we had a great night watching this concert:
    ("carne de venado" )

Spiritual Beggars - Live Fire (Live in London]
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Yes!!.
    First time here: really enjoy them, thanks for the reco.!.

Last night we had a great night watching this concert:
    The Live Fire show from 2003 has their second singer, JB. My favorite album from the JB era is "On Fire" but all of their albums are great. Apollo is the latest singer on the three albums I mentioned earlier.

Love me the Dio-era of Rainbow, but let's face it, outside one song on Down To Earth (Eyes of the World), the rest is uninteresting dreck (or mostly anyways)

I bought Rising almost blindly on the strength of its flabbergasting visual (that's why I said "almost blindly ), but it's the only album cover of theirs that I even like.
    And the album is still driving shivers down my spine, nowadays.
    Except of course for that awful Do You Clode Your Eyes, which really sucks (even in concert)

TBH, if I have much ;kindness for the debut album, I don't have that much for LLRnR, coz there are only three tracks I really like (KTK, t/t and Babylon), the rest being heavily flawed (just like Mob Rules was compared to H&H)

Rainbow Rising was probably my favorite heavy-rock album when I was a teenager. Particularly side2. Both Stargazer and A Light in the Black are the peak of the genre for me.
    I never thought that much of Light In The Black.... too repetitive for its own good: would've preferred it cut by half and inclded Kill The King

Something similar??
    There have been a couple of good suggestions here (Spiritual Beggars sometimes being very close), but if I had to name just one, then I'd point Priest' Sad Wings Of Destiny (though no KB on that one), but let's face it, nothing will ever really sound like Rising, despite all the young retro-rocjk or stoner-rock bands around nowadays.

Never thought Magnum could be similar to Dio's Rainbow, though.
    Last edited by Trane; 05-13-2018 at 07:21 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I don't think I've listened to Do You Close Your Eyes in a couple of decades, I always FF as soon as it comes on, truly awful.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Vow Wow?

WOW! Never heard them before. Thanks for posting. This next one that came up is even more Rainbow-y:

Also, just thought of Electric Sun. At least the first two maybe.
    Last edited by spiderfeathers; 05-13-2018 at 12:22 PM.

The Live Fire show from 2003 has their second singer, JB. My favorite album from the JB era is "On Fire" but all of their albums are great. Apollo is the latest singer on the three albums I mentioned earlier.
    Ok, thanks for the info!.

Similar bands? This!

I'm waiting for Jed to ask if we can laugh at these guys...

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    WOW! Never heard them before. Thanks for posting. This next one that came up is even more Rainbow-y:

corblimey! hadn't listened to these for the better part of 30 years. hideously talented, albeit a bit hammy – file under glam prog rock, not dissimilar to ANGEL with a better guitarist.

brits might remember this. VOW WOW were commissioned to supply the jingles/tags for this legendary programme:

I'm definitely a fan of Rainbow's Dio era releases; after Dio the rest is a take some, leave some affair for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    Thanks for the posts everyone. I definitely know the older bands you are referencing (Heap, Magnum, Budgie) and of course the groups which included former Purple and Rainbow members. I was pleasantly surprised to discover Avatarium a while back. Are they known around these parts? They really capture the light and shade of classic Dio era Rainbow for me and might appeal to people around here. Also, their vocalist Jennie Ann Smith is probably my favorite relatively recent vocalist, period. She can really belt it out and also get sensitive. Marcus Jidell on guitar has a definite Blackmore influence and is a very solid player more generally too.

I'm a little surprised that no one here seems to like Avatarium.

If you're into that Rainbow-Purple sound (and then some) you need Don Airey's A Light In The Sky (2008).